Laudate_Dominum Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 More poems please... [b]Drinking Song, On the Excellence of Burgundy Wine[/b] My jolly fat host with your face all a-grin, Come, open the door to us, let us come in. A score of stout fellows who think it no sin If they toast till they're hoarse, and drink till they spin, Hoofed it amain Rain or no rain, To crack your old jokes, and your bottle to drain. Such a warmth in the belly that nectar begets As soon as his guts with its humour he wets, The miser his gold, and the student his debts, And the beggar his rags and his hunger forgets. For there's never a wine Like this tipple of thine From the great hill of Nuits to the River of Rhine. Outside you may hear the great gusts as they go By Foy, by Duerne, and the hills of Lerraulx, But the rain he may rain, and the wind he may blow, If the Devil's above there's good liquor below. So it abound, Pass it around, Burgundy's Burgundy all the year round. - Hilaire Belloc
Saint Therese Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 It sounds like you're a [i]tad [/i]bit bored..
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 [b]The South Country[/b] When I am living in the Midlands That are sodden and unkind, I light my lamp in the evening: My work is left behind; And the great hills of the South Country Come back into my mind. The great hills of the South Country They stand along the sea; And it's there walking in the high woods That I could wish to be, And the men that were boys when I was a boy Walking along with me. The men that live in North England I saw them for a day: Their hearts are set upon the waste fells, Their skies are fast and grey; From their castle-walls a man may see The mountains far away. The men that live in West England They see the Severn strong, A-rolling on rough water brown Light aspen leaves along. They have the secret of the Rocks, And the oldest kind of song. But the men that live in the South Country Are the kindest and most wise, They get their laughter from the loud surf, And the faith in their happy eyes Comes surely from our Sister the Spring When over the sea she flies; The violets suddenly bloom at her feet, She blesses us with surprise. I never get between the pines But I smell the Sussex air; Nor I never come on a belt of sand But my home is there. And along the sky the line of the Downs So noble and so bare. A lost thing could I never find, Nor a broken thing mend: And I fear I shall be all alone When I get towards the end. Who will there be to comfort me Or who will be my friend? I will gather and carefully make my friends Of the men of the Sussex Weald; They watch the stars from silent folds, They stiffly plough the field. By them and the God of the South Country My poor soul shall be healed. If I ever become a rich man, Or if ever I grow to be old, I will build a house with deep thatch To shelter me from the cold, And there shall the Sussex songs be sung And the story of Sussex told. I will hold my house in the high wood Within a walk of the sea, And the men that were boys when I was a boy Shall sit and drink with me. Hilaire Belloc
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 [b]The Song of the Old Mother[/b] I rise in the dawn, and I kneel and blow Till the seed of the fire flicker and glow. And then I must scrub, and bake, and sweep, Till stars are beginning to blink and peep; But the young lie long and dream in their bed Of the matching of ribbons, the blue and the red, And their day goes over in idleness, And they sigh if the wind but lift up a tress. While I must work, because I am old And the seed of the fire gets feeble and cold. - W.B. Yeats
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 Heretics all, whoever you may be, In Tarbes or Nimes, or over the sea, You never shall have good words from me. Caritas non conturbat me. But Catholic men that live upon wine Are deep in the water, and frank, and fine; Wherever I travel I find it so, Benedicamus Domino. On childing women that are forelorn, And men that sweat in nothing but scorn: That is on all that ever were born, Miserere Domine. To my poor self on my deathbed, And all my dear companions dead, Because of the love that I bore them, Dona Eis Requiem. [spoiler] [b]Heroic Poem in Praise of Wine[/b] To exalt, enthrone, establish and defend, To welcome home mankind's mysterious friend Wine, true begetter of all arts that be; Wine, privilege of the completely free; Wine the recorder; wine the sagely strong; Wine, bright avenger of sly-dealing wrong, Awake, Ausonian Muse, and sing the vineyard song! Sing how the Charioteer from Asia came, And on his front the little dancing flame Which marked the God-head. Sing the Panther-team, The gilded Thrysus twirling, and the gleam Of cymbals through the darkness. Sing the drums. He comes; the young renewer of Hellas comes! The Seas await him. Those Aegean Seas Roll from the dawning, ponderous, ill at ease, In lifts of lead, whose cresting hardly breaks To ghostly foam, when suddenly there awakes A mountain glory inland. All the skies Are luminous; and amid the sea bird cries The mariner hears a morning breeze arise. Then goes the Pageant forward. The sea-way Silvers the feet of that august array Trailing above the waters, through the airs; And as they pass a wind before them bears The quickening word, the influence magical. The Islands have received it, marble-tall; The long shores of the mainland. Something fills The warm Euboean combes, the sacred hills Of Aulis and of Argos. Still they move Touching the City walls, the Temple grove, Till, far upon the horizon-glint, a gleam Of light, of trembling light, revealed they seem Turned to a cloud, but to a cloud that shines, And everywhere as they pass, the Vines! The Vines! The Vines, the conquering Vines! And the Vine breaths Her savour through the upland, empty heaths Of treeless wastes; the Vines have come to where The dark Pelasgian steep defends the lair Of the wolf's hiding; to the empty fields By Aufidus, the dry campaign that yields No harvest for the husbandman, but now Shall bear a nobler foison than the plough; To where, festooned along the tall elm trees, Tendrils are mirrored in Tyrrhenian seas; To where the South awaits them; even to where Stark, African informed of burning air, Upturned to Heaven the broad Hipponian plain Extends luxurious and invites the main. Guelma's a mother: barren Thaspsa breeds; And northward in the valleys, next the meads That sleep by misty river banks, the Vines Have struck to spread below the solemn pines. The Vines are on the roof-trees. All the Shrines And Homes of men are consecrate with Vines. And now the task of that triumphant day Has reached to victory. In the reddening ray With all his train, from hard Iberian lands Fulfilled, apparent, that Creator stands Halted on Atlas. Far Beneath him, far, The strength of Ocean darkening and the star Beyond all shores. There is a silence made. It glorifies: and the gigantic shade Of Hercules adores him from the West. Dead Lucre: burnt Ambition: Wine is best. But what are these that from the outer murk Of dense mephitic vapours creeping lurk To breathe foul airs from that corrupted well Which oozes slime along the floor of Hell? These are the stricken palsied brood of sin In whose vile veins, poor, poisonous and thin, Decoctions of embittered hatreds crawl: These are the Water-Drinkers, cursed all! On what gin-sodden Hags, what flaccid sires Bred these White Slugs from what exhaust desires? In what close prison's horror were their wiles Watched by what tyrant power with evil smiles; Or in what caverns, blocked from grace and air Received they, then, the mandates of despair? What! Must our race, our tragic race, that roam All exiled from our first, and final, home: That in one moment of temptation lost Our heritage, and now wander, hunger-tost Beyond the Gates (still speaking with our eyes For ever of remembered Paradise), Must we with every gift accepted, still, With every joy, receive attendant ill? Must some lewd evil follow all our good And muttering dog our brief beatitude? A primal doom, inexorable, wise, Permitted, ordered, even these to rise. Even in the shadow of so bright a Lord Must swarm and propagate the filthy horde Debased, accursed I say, abhorrent and abhorred. Accursed and curse-bestowing. For whosoe'er Shall suffer their contagion, everywhere Falls from the estate of man and finds his end To the mere beverage of the beast condemned. For such as these in vain the Rhine has rolled Imperial centuries by hills of gold; For such as these the flashing Rhone shall rage In vain its lightning through the Hermitage Or level-browed divine Touraine receive The tribute of her vintages at eve. For such as these Burgundian heats in vain Swell the rich slope or load the empurpled plain. Bootless for such as these the mighty task Of bottling God the Father in a flask And leading all Creation down distilled To one small ardent sphere immensely filled. With memories empty, with experience null, With vapid eye-balls meaningless and dull They pass unblest through the unfruitful light; And when we open the bronze doors of Night, When we in high carousal, we reclined, Spur up to Heaven the still ascending mind, Pass with the all inspiring, to and fro, The torch of genius and the Muse's glow, They, lifeless, stare at vacancy alone Or plan mean traffic, or repeat their moan. We, when repose demands us, welcomed are In young white arms, like our great Exemplar Who, wearied with creation, takes his rest And sinks to sleep on Ariadne's breast. They through the darkness into darkness press Despised, abandoned and companionless. And when the course of either's sleep has run We leap to life like heralds of the sun; We from the couch in roseate mornings gay Salute as equals the exultant day While they, the unworthy, unrewarded, they The dank despisers of the Vine, arise To watch grey dawns and mourn indifferent skies. Forget them! Form the Dionysian ring And pulse the ground, and Io, Io, sing. Father Lenaean, to whom our strength belongs, Our loves, our wars, our laughter and our songs, Remember our inheritance, who praise Your glory in these last unhappy days When beauty sickens and a muddied robe Of baseness fouls the universal globe. Though all the Gods indignant and their train Abandon ruined man, do thou remain! By thee the vesture of our life was made, The Embattled Gate, the lordly Colonnade, The woven fabric's gracious hues, the sound Of trumpets, and the quivering fountain-round, And, indestructible, the Arch, and, high, The Shaft of Stone that stands against the sky, And, last, the guardian-genius of them, Rhyme, Come from beyond the world to conquer time: All these are thine, Lenaean. By thee do seers the inward light discern; By thee the statue lives, the Gods return; By thee the thunder and the falling foam Of loud Acquoria's torrent call to Rome; Alba rejoices in a thousand springs, Gensano laughs, and Orvieto sings... But, Ah! With Orvieto, with that name Of dark, Eturian, subterranean flame The years dissolve. I am standing in that hour Of majesty Septembral, and the power Which swells the clusters when the nights are still With autumn stars on Orvieto hill. Had these been mine, Ausonian Muse, to know The large contented oxen heaving slow; To count my sheaves at harvest; so to spend Perfected days in peace until the end; With every evening's dust of gold to hear The bells upon the pasture height, the clear Full horn of herdsmen gathering in the kine To ancient byres in hamlets Appenine, And crown abundant age with generous ease: Had these, Ausonian Muse, had these, had these..... But since I would not, since I could not stay, Let me remember even in this my day How, when the ephemeral vision's lure is past All, all, must face their Passion at the last Was there not one that did to Heaven complain How, driving through the midnight and the rain, He struck, the Atlantic seethe and surge before, Wrecked in the North along a lonely shore To make the lights of home and hear his name no more. Was there not one that from a desperate field Rode with no guerdon but a rifted shield; A name disherited; a broken sword; Wounds unrenowned; battle beneath no Lord; Strong blows, but on the void, and toil without reward. When from the waste of such long labour done I too must leave the grape-ennobling sun And like the vineyard worker take my way Down the long shadows of declining day, Bend on the sombre plain my clouded sight And leave the mountain to the advancing night, Come to the term of all that was mine own With nothingness before me, and alone; Then to what hope of answer shall I turn? Comrade-Commander whom I dared not earn, What said You then to trembling friends and few? "A moment, and I drink it with you new: But in my Father's Kingdom." So, my Friend, Let not Your cup desert me in the end. But when the hour of mine adventure's near Just and benignant, let my youth appear Bearing a Chalice, open, golden, wide, With benediction graven on its side. So touch my dying lip: so bridge that deep: So pledge my waking from the gift of sleep, And, sacramental, raise me the Divine: Strong brother in God and last companion, Wine. - Hilaire Belloc [/spoiler]
Nihil Obstat Posted February 3, 2010 Author Posted February 3, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='03 February 2010 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1265221331' post='2050500'] Heretics all, whoever you may be, In Tarbes or Nimes, or over the sea, You never shall have good words from me. Caritas non conturbat me. But Catholic men that live upon wine Are deep in the water, and frank, and fine; Wherever I travel I find it so, Benedicamus Domino. On childing women that are forelorn, And men that sweat in nothing but scorn: That is on all that ever were born, Miserere Domine. To my poor self on my deathbed, And all my dear companions dead, Because of the love that I bore them, Dona Eis Requiem. [/quote] Can you tell me what the Latin lines translate to?
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='03 February 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1265221683' post='2050506'] Can you tell me what the Latin lines translate to? [/quote] [spoiler] Forgive me a mistake or two, I'm experiencing hilarity atm. Caritas non conturbat me / Charity does not disturb/concern me Benedicamus Domino / Let us bless the Lord Miserere Domine / Lord have mercy Dona Eis Requiem / Grant them rest/repose [/spoiler]
Winchester Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='01 February 2010 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1265058862' post='2049072'] It is "or" in the actual poem. So I guess Apotheoun is the undisputed King of Phatmass. By popular vote too. [/quote] I'm in third. So can I be the jester?
Nihil Obstat Posted February 3, 2010 Author Posted February 3, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='03 February 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1265222587' post='2050518'] [spoiler] Forgive me a mistake or two, I'm experiencing hilarity atm. Caritas non conturbat me / Charity does not disturb/concern me Benedicamus Domino / Let us bless the Lord Miserere Domine / Lord have mercy Dona Eis Requiem / Grant them rest/repose [/spoiler] [/quote] Good poem. Especially the first stanza.
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 [quote name='Winchester' date='03 February 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1265222940' post='2050524'] I'm in third. So can I be the jester? [/quote] Perfect!
XIX Posted February 4, 2010 Posted February 4, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='01 February 2010 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1265058659' post='2049066'] [b]Nihil Obstat[/b] Reputation: [u][b]262[/b][/u] Whoever gave Nihil a -1 know that your efforts are futile. Nihil - you may be the king of phatmass. Whoever has the highest rep is king or queen in my opinion. So... Anyone have more rep than Nihil? [/quote] That means pvtmiller outranks me.
Mark of the Cross Posted February 5, 2010 Posted February 5, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='02 February 2010 - 08:03 AM' timestamp='1265058232' post='2049064'] I've got a couple to spare. I just feel bad if I start thinking someone doesn't like me. [/quote] Maybe you just fell off someone's pedestal. (spell checks at it again it made me apostrophe Or is that apostle-trophy.) Better get used to not being liked, there's always someone after you for something. Maybe we should move this to the debate bored so that we can have a mass-debate. PS you can have one of my pluses if you like I'd still be left with two. I'm glad I'm not winning, I don't want to be a queen. Edited February 5, 2010 by Mark of the Cross
Mark of the Cross Posted February 5, 2010 Posted February 5, 2010 [quote name='Winchester' date='04 February 2010 - 05:49 AM' timestamp='1265222940' post='2050524'] I'm in third. So can I be the jester? [/quote] Winjester?
Mark of the Cross Posted February 5, 2010 Posted February 5, 2010 [quote name='Ed Normile' date='02 February 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1265059539' post='2049080'] Twern't me , I like Nihil! He looks a lot like Maximililan Kolbe ed [/quote] What do you mean, you like him? You want to eat him with fresh salad and roasted Cat?
sidemunch88 Posted February 8, 2010 Posted February 8, 2010 [quote name='XIX' date='04 February 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1265309724' post='2051218'] That means pvtmiller outranks me. [/quote] is this a bad thing?
XIX Posted February 11, 2010 Posted February 11, 2010 [quote name='pvtmiller' date='08 February 2010 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1265607999' post='2053162'] is this a bad thing? [/quote] No, just a random observation.
jeffpugh Posted February 11, 2010 Posted February 11, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='01 February 2010 - 01:30 PM' timestamp='1265049012' post='2048982'] The world is full of double beds The world is full of double beds And most delightful maidenheads, Which being so, there’s no excuse For sodomy of self-abuse. Hilaire Belloc I hope this is appropriate for PM... [/quote] You know, reflecting on the OP, I find it funny he has to wonder if it's appropriate for PM... Belloc is [i]always [/i]appropriate.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 11, 2010 Author Posted February 11, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='11 February 2010 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1265868379' post='2055165'] You know, reflecting on the OP, I find it funny he has to wonder if it's appropriate for PM... Belloc is [i]always [/i]appropriate. [/quote] One time Belloc uttered a rather shocking obscenity after stubbing his toe on his bed.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now