An Old School Catholic Message Board

" Don't You Judge Me!"

Hilde

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='03 February 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1265237962' post='2050768']
Wait a minute. The Bible does say don't judge:

However, I still think it's right to point out that she's wrong in what she's doing.
[/quote]
We're not to judge the ultimate state of others' souls (that belongs to God alone), but we certainly can (and must) judge actions to be objectively right or wrong. If we don't, we fall into moral relativism.
This is probably the most mis-used scripture verse today (usually misused by people who have never actually read the Bible). If you read the rest of the Bible, it is clear that God does not promote moral relativism, and much of it concerns what is right and wrong.
The main point of that passage is not to be a hypocrite; to amend one's own life before judging others.

[quote name='Hilde' date='03 February 2010 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1265238893' post='2050784']
With the scriptural passage in mind I can't really imagine the probability of something the average person has done that's a beam in comparison.
Oh I'd love to. :P But maybe she'd say that's different because in case with the abortion it's not really any of my business. But what ability does a fetus have to defend itself anyway. I don't feel like this is a live and let live situation, because that's just morbidly ironic.
[/quote]
If she thinks it's no one else's business, why is she talking about her abortion in a public paper?
The idea that everybody must give approval of her murderous behavior is asinine.

The liberal creed seems to be: "Judge not, unless it's one of those awful conservative Christians preaching their morality."

KeenanParkerII

[quote]We're not to judge the ultimate state of others' souls (that belongs to God alone), but we certainly can (and must) judge actions to be objectively right or wrong. If we don't, we fall into moral relativism.
This is probably the most mis-used scripture verse today (usually misused by people who have never actually read the Bible). If you read the rest of the Bible, it is clear that God does not promote moral relativism, and much of it concerns what is right and wrong.
The main point of that passage is not to be a hypocrite; to amend one's own life before judging others. [/quote]

I don't agree that suspending judgment on someone else is equivalent to the rejection of objective truth, but I differentiate between "judging someone" and declaring what is right and wrong. I think this verse is telling us not to make value calls about people, while the Bible is pretty explicit about making sure we know and make known what is right and proper and what is not. But if one directly equates judgement and declaring what is right and wrong, than ya this passage would result in moral relativism.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='03 February 2010 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1265210451' post='2050393']
You could punch her and demand she not judge you for it. :mellow:
[/quote]

+1 Nihil Dude,

Old So-crates, said it well, even though he looks like a dummy, judging by his picture , he says some smart things!

We are called to make many judgements in our lives, as what effects us, and ours. We can not assume to judge ones souls, nor are we capable.

ed

eagle_eye222001

People really need to learn that appropriate judging exists. The way society runs they act as if you can't ever call someone out of line.

I would explain that we are in no position to judge anyone. Only God can do that. But we can judge what and what is not sin because we are only following the commandments of God.

Like the Pope say love the sinner hate the sin. SO I say you can judge the Sin, not te sinner!

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='03 February 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1265219326' post='2050467']
On the contrary we are called to judge, we are not called to condemn.
She is confused about the difference.
[/quote]

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='03 February 2010 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1265258641' post='2050977']
People really need to learn that appropriate judging exists. The way society runs they act as if you can't ever call someone out of line.
[/quote]

I agree with both of the above.

Society was a much better place when we were more judgmental.

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='03 February 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1265237962' post='2050768']
Wait a minute. The Bible does say don't judge:

However, I still think it's right to point out that she's wrong in what she's doing.
[/quote]

If you read the entire quote in context, it refers to [b]hypocrital[/b] judgment. Romans 1 or 2 talks about "you who condemn X, do you commit X?" Also, somewhere in Ezekiel we are told if we do not warn someone away from their sin, we will be held responsible with them; and 1 Corinthians 5 refers to expelling someone for living a grossly immoral lifesytle.

It's like Archbishop Fulton Sheen said:
"America, it is said, is suffering from intolerance — it is not. It is suffering from tolerance. Tolerance of right and wrong, truth and error, virtue and evil, Christ and chaos. Our country is not nearly so overrun with the bigoted as it is overrun with the broadminded."

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 February 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1265421933' post='2051818']
It's like Archbishop Fulton Sheen said:
"America, it is said, is suffering from intolerance — it is not. It is suffering from tolerance. Tolerance of right and wrong, truth and error, virtue and evil, Christ and chaos. Our country is not nearly so overrun with the bigoted as it is overrun with the broadminded."
[/quote]

Exactly.

KeenanParkerII

[quote]If you read the entire quote in context, it refers to hypocrital judgment. Romans 1 or 2 talks about "you who condemn X, do you commit X?" Also, somewhere in Ezekiel [b]we are told if we do not warn someone away from their sin, we will be held responsible with them[/b]; and 1 Corinthians 5 refers to expelling someone for living a grossly immoral lifesytle. [/quote]

Dude.. all my posts say that. <__<