tinytherese Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 In the end, it is none of our business how many children other people have because we don't know their circumstances like they do and none of us seem qualified to determine what would or wouldn't constitute as a just reason for using NFP. This is really between the husband, wife, an adequate spiritual director such as a parish priest to discuss, and of course God. So you can politely tell them that you do freely choose not to use NFP, but at the same time do not use contraception.
Saint Therese Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 (edited) I know I don't have children, and never will. But I don't see how money could ever be a just reason. I mean, its possible to simplify your life and give up things you really don't need..I couldn't see okay just because you didn't want your easy lifestyle intruded upon-financially I mean. I don't mean to offend anyone. Edited February 9, 2010 by Saint Therese
HisChildForever Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 Tell people to stay out of your bedroom! This is between you, your husband, and God. Personally, I would use NFP because I would like to know how my body works and I think it would be useful. You (you in general) could learn NFP and chart even if you don't want to follow it, you know?
Saint Therese Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 Actually, for couples wanting to get pregnant but having trouble, I theard NFP is great for that too.
HisChildForever Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='Saint Therese' date='09 February 2010 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1265746759' post='2054256'] Actually, for couples wanting to get pregnant but having trouble, I theard NFP is great for that too. [/quote] I know that.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 February 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1265746675' post='2054254'] Tell people to stay out of your bedroom! This is between you, your husband, and God. Personally, I would use NFP because I would like to know how my body works and I think it would be useful. You (you in general) could learn NFP and chart even if you don't want to follow it, you know? [/quote] While in this case, no one has any business telling someone off who is not contracepting just for not using NFP either, I can't agree that we should use the approach of telling people to stay out of your bedroom. Folks have used that one way too much to tell off the Church, theologians, and catechists on more than just this issue. It's faulty reasoning. We are responsible for the souls of those we have under our authority and those we have relationships with. We must do whatever we can (prudently, and that's the problem) to help. Of course, that really doesn't have anything to do with Lil Red's situation, since she's being perfectly moral.
Saint Therese Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 I was speaking to the whole forum, not just you.
Arpy Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 English really needs a pronoun to distinguish between you-singular and you-plural. Just sayin'.
HisChildForever Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='09 February 2010 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1265747038' post='2054265'] While in this case, no one has any business telling someone off who is not contracepting just for not using NFP either, I can't agree that we should use the approach of telling people to stay out of your bedroom. Folks have used that one way too much to tell off the Church, theologians, and catechists on more than just this issue. It's faulty reasoning. We are responsible for the souls of those we have under our authority and those we have relationships with. We must do whatever we can (prudently, and that's the problem) to help. Of course, that really doesn't have anything to do with Lil Red's situation, since she's being perfectly moral. [/quote] I'm talking about pushy friends, not the Church.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 February 2010 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1265747228' post='2054271'] I'm talking about pushy friends, not the Church. [/quote] I realize that. My point, though, was that pushy friends probably think they're being righteous and helpful. The argument should be won on different grounds.
Resurrexi Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='Arpy' date='09 February 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1265747202' post='2054270'] English really needs a pronoun to distinguish between you-singular and you-plural. Just sayin'. [/quote] It alredy does. [i]Thou [/i]is singular and [i]you [/i]is plural.
HisChildForever Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='09 February 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1265747300' post='2054272'] I realize that. My point, though, was that pushy friends probably think they're being righteous and helpful. The argument should be won on different grounds. [/quote] If a woman tells her Catholic friends that she is following Church teaching even if not practicing NFP, her friends should leave it alone. Now if her friends thought she was confused and perhaps unsure of how to use NFP, I can understand them continuing the conversation. But if the woman has made it clear that she understands NFP and just chooses not to use it, they have no business pursuing the issue.
havok579257 Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 i thought there was a church document that list the grave reasons when nfp was ok: 1. the health of the mother(physical or psychological) 2. financial reasons (financially unable to support another child) 3. if your in wartime (the country you live in is at war and its dangerous to have a child) 4. can't remeber the 4th one i seem to remember someone showing the document on this site.
rhetoricfemme Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='Lil Red' date='09 February 2010 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1265745470' post='2054239'] +JMJ+ even after i tell them that we've been to a seminar class on it, and still don't want to do it, they are still way too pushy. [/quote] Ah. Some folks are just pushy, then. Not cool of them, I'm sorry. [quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 February 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1265747619' post='2054275'] If a woman tells her Catholic friends that she is following Church teaching even if not practicing NFP, her friends should leave it alone. Now if her friends thought she was confused and perhaps unsure of how to use NFP, I can understand them continuing the conversation. But if the woman has made it clear that she understands NFP and just chooses not to use it, they have no business pursuing the issue. [/quote] Aye!
Veridicus Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Resurrexi' date='09 February 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1265747370' post='2054274'] It alredy does. [i]Thou [/i]is singular and [i]you [/i]is plural. [/quote] Actually 'ye' is the nominative plural (and 'thou' is the nominative singular). 'You' is the objective plural (and 'thee' is the objective singular). At least according to Wiki. Thou are... (nominative singular) OR Ye are... (nominative plural) ..to thee (objective singular) OR ...to you (objective plural) Edited February 9, 2010 by Veridicus
Ash Wednesday Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 (edited) I have an overly enthusiastic NFP friend, I think she is also an instructor and I know her parents were. I was living in another city when I was engaged so I took classes elsewhere, either way she still always brings it up with me. I really don't feel like discussing things like mucus and peak day, or every little detail about our intimate life over lunch. While I agree that "stay out of our bedroom" is used by unfaithful Catholics to justify artificial contraception, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that what HisChildForever is getting at, and I mean this exclusively among faithful Catholics that either use NFP or just "wing it" and take whatever comes -- that there comes a point where people should respect someone's privacy and they don't need to know all the gory details of a couple's intimate life and what is going on with them and their (natural) family planning decisions. Edited February 9, 2010 by Ash Wednesday
Veridicus Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 February 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1265746675' post='2054254'] Personally, I would use NFP because I would like to know how my body works and I think it would be useful. You (you in general) could learn NFP and chart even if you don't want to follow it, you know? [/quote] Its not a bad idea, in my medical opinion, for non-married girls who are properly catechized to chart their cycles as the NFP method suggests. Changes in your normal cycle could reveal pathological genitourinary abnormalities which might otherwise go unnoticed for a while and lead to avoidable complications.
Resurrexi Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Veridicus' date='09 February 2010 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1265750389' post='2054297'] Actually 'ye' is the nominative plural (and 'thou' is the nominative singular). 'You' is the objective plural (and 'thee' is the objective singular). At least according to Wiki. Thou are... (nominative singular) OR Ye are... (nominative plural) ..to thee (objective singular) OR ...to you (objective plural) [/quote] Although [i]ye[/i] is the most correct nominative plural, Shakespeare often uses [i]you[/i] as a nominative, as well. "Do [i]you[/i] not hear him? You mar our labour: keep your cabins: [i]you[/i] do assist the storm." ([i]Tempest[/i] I.i.13-14) Edited February 9, 2010 by Resurrexi
Apotheoun Posted February 9, 2010 Posted February 9, 2010 [quote name='Maggie' date='09 February 2010 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1265743127' post='2054204'] The Church doesn't speculate about what constitues "grave reason" either... although I think I read in one book that it simply had to be a "just" reason instead of "grave..." [/quote] I believe that the Latin text of Humanae Vitae used "seriis causis," but added that any use of natural family planning must respect the moral order.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now