An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are You Scared Of Religious Life?

LightofMary

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HisChild' date='28 February 2010 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1267335591' post='2064129']
In the Byzantine Church (Orthodox and Catholic) the traditional goodbye, as I'm finding out very quickly by attending the Eastern Church, is "God grant you many years". Some also say 'God grant you many, many happy years.'

It is as common as one saying "God bless you" after a sneeze. I would still say such to an atheist, even though such a person professes to not believe in God. ;)
[/quote]

It reminds me of the Vulcan greeting "Live long and prosper!" :)

[quote name='nunsense' date='27 February 2010 - 10:44 PM' timestamp='1267335879' post='2064132']
It reminds me of the Vulcan greeting "Live long and prosper!" :)
[/quote]

I guess just as an Eastern Catholic said once of the 'The Lord be with you', he expected the people to say 'right back atcha'.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HisChild' date='28 February 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1267336110' post='2064136']
I guess just as an Eastern Catholic said once of the 'The Lord be with you', he expected the people to say 'right back atcha'.
[/quote]

Well, I'm a Latin Mass Catholic so I would say "Et cum spiritu tuo. :saint:

pax xti

[quote name='nunsense' date='27 February 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1267336324' post='2064137']
Well, I'm a Latin Mass Catholic so I would say "Et cum spiritu tuo. :saint:

pax xti
[/quote]

That's one thing I can say I like about the new missal that will be coming out this next year (some say 2012). It goes back to 'and with your spirit'. And then you get the rapidly liberal priests and bishops in America who proclaim 'Not in my church/diocese!'

Those certainly need :pray:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HisChild' date='28 February 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1267336945' post='2064141']
That's one thing I can say I like about the new missal that will be coming out this next year (some say 2012). It goes back to 'and with your spirit'. And then you get the rapidly liberal priests and bishops in America who proclaim 'Not in my church/diocese!'

Those certainly need :pray:
[/quote]

That's why I started going to Latin Mass - just couldn't take the liturgical abuses any more, every diocese and parish different. now I know exactlywhat I am getting every time! :pray: Praise God for His goodness to me.

[quote name='nunsense' date='27 February 2010 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1267337067' post='2064142']
That's why I started going to Latin Mass - just couldn't take the liturgical abuses any more, every diocese and parish different. now I know exactlywhat I am getting every time! :pray: Praise God for His goodness to me.
[/quote]

I went a different direction. I felt too much like a spectator with the EF. So I went East... and have felt more at peace than any time in my life.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HisChild' date='28 February 2010 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1267337481' post='2064145']
I went a different direction. I felt too much like a spectator with the EF. So I went East... and have felt more at peace than any time in my life.
[/quote]

I guess I can see that, but the EF is like contemplation for me, so I get the best of everything, contemplation and the liturgy and the sacrament.... heaven for me.

[quote name='nunsense' date='27 February 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1267337742' post='2064147']
I guess I can see that, but the EF is like contemplation for me, so I get the best of everything, contemplation and the liturgy and the sacrament.... heaven for me.
[/quote]

Same for me and the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. I'm transported.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HisChild' date='28 February 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1267337845' post='2064148']
Same for me and the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. I'm transported.
[/quote]

Don't tempt me you seductress you. I am perfectly happy with the EF but I haven't been to an Eastern Rite or Orthodox so I can't compare. And I don't want to, I love my SD, and my church, so no more changes right now! Get thee behind me! LOL :)

[quote name='nunsense' date='27 February 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1267338074' post='2064150']
Don't tempt me you seductress you. I am perfectly happy with the EF but I haven't been to an Eastern Rite or Orthodox so I can't compare. And I don't want to, I love my SD, and my church, so no more changes right now! Get thee behind me! LOL :)
[/quote]

Oh stop it. I'm not trying to 'convert' you. I know you love the EF. Personally, I had been drawn to the East since I was with the DCJ and we'd gone to a religious life conference... and attended a Melkite (I think) Divine Liturgy. It was amazing. :love: This is just the culmination.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='HisChild' date='28 February 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1267338445' post='2064152']
Oh stop it. I'm not trying to 'convert' you. I know you love the EF. Personally, I had been drawn to the East since I was with the DCJ and we'd gone to a religious life conference... and attended a Melkite (I think) Divine Liturgy. It was amazing. :love: This is just the culmination.
[/quote]

I hope you realize that I joke a lot? We have hijacked this thread :hijack:

I have friends who belong to the Chaldean Catholic Church and they are so proud because they speak Aramaic, the language of Our Lord! Now that is a language I would love to learn.

[quote name='nunsense' date='27 February 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1267338606' post='2064153']
I hope you realize that I joke a lot? We have hijacked this thread :hijack:

I have friends who belong to the Chaldean Catholic Church and they are so proud because they speak Aramaic, the language of Our Lord! Now that is a language I would love to learn.
[/quote]

I know you're joking. I was being flip.

I would love to learn Aramaic... or even Syriac, which is an offshoot. How beautiful would that be!

DiscerningSoul

This topic really hits home for me, because I left before even really starting because of fear.
But you know what? I love to much to give up on his calling for me.
and I truely believe this time I will prevail.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' date='28 February 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1267350024' post='2064178']
This topic really hits home for me, because I left before even really starting because of fear.
But you know what? I love to much to give up on his calling for me.
and I truely believe this time I will prevail.
[/quote]

He loves the fact that we love Him. And it might be better to be outside wanting to get in, than inside wanting to get out??

At least this way, we are constantly putting Him in front of our eyes and in our hearts. So in a way, discernment is a gift. Sometimes when I think how He uses things like temptations to make us stronger, then I also think that this longing for religious life is just a way to teach us how to love Him more. Longing is a good thing....

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Beautiful posts from everyone. Thank you for your honesty and God reward each of your for your perseverance!

I need some advice, and I've been wanting to post this for a while now.

One of my dearest friends spent nine months in a particular community. She left college, her aspirations, paid off student loans, the whole bit, and entered a community she surely felt destined for. She left after nine months and returned home feeling no pull in her life towards anything. Now, almost a year since she left the community, she is having a severe period of distrust in God and doubt of even His existence. I feel so obligated to help her in some way, but I really don't know what's best. I've since had to move so we are no longer living in the same city, which is hard. She seems wounded and indifferent to her faith. What should I do? Some have told me to just be still and know that He is God and to pray. But I fear the safety of her soul, and that some kind of action needs to be taken, but I know she isn't necessarily open to anything I'd have to say about it.

Did anyone experience this after leaving religious life? Any advice for how I can help her?

Thank you and God reward you.