HisChildForever Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 Is this really necessary? My Mom and I argued over it yesterday morning. I told her that I have never had sex and have absolutely no plans of having sex any time soon. She says that in ten years I may be different or think differently. Excuse me, but what does that mean?? She then said that I am getting one whether I like it or not, to which I yelled that this is my body and no one is sticking a HPV needle into my arm without my permission. Apparently we will discuss this at "a later date" when I am "less emotional."
let_go_let_God Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 I can see both your point and your mother's point. The common conception of the HPV shot is that it is only for women who have frequent sex. Men can have the HPV virus without knowing it and can unknowingly spread it. I don't know what your vocation is in life but if it is for marriage, your future husband may have the virus and not know it. Your mom may be thinking more of that day rather than you getting the shots and going out on the town. Like certian vaccines like Hepititis B it is a series of shots that you get once and never need to get again. Hope I've helped. God bless- LGLG
Hilde Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 They have decided to give it to all 12 year old girls over here, but many decline. Personally I don't think it's anything I need or may ever need. I guess my risk is finding some guy with a promiscuous past or something.
Veridicus Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 (edited) The HPV vaccine is a good idea in my book for several reasons even if you are not sexually active. Sexual transmission is the major (and likely only) route of transmission of the HPV serotypes (16, 18, 31) which are associated with the development of cervical cancer. It is important to emphasize that these viruses are causative in the sense that they stimulate the cells on the surface of the cervix to divide and the virus has proteins which dysregulate the cell cycle. Statistics demonstrate that there are a lot of women who experience a sexual assault at some point in their lives. It is not unlikely that the assailant male will be carrying HPV and could give it to you during a sexual assault. Additionally, if your future husband was ever sexually active in the past, it is quite possible that he may carry the HPV virus in a subclinical state and subsequently transmit it to you even though you are both in a committed married faithful relationship. The major stigma against the vaccine as a far as I can tell is that by protecting against an STD it may disincentivize abstinence in some young women. It is the job of the physician and the parent to ensure that the young woman understands that this shot is given to prevent cervical cancer and that they're still just as likely to contract any of the other numerous STDs which exist if they engage in premarital sexual activity. Edited March 2, 2010 by Veridicus
Lil Red Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 +JMJ+ when it first came out, we had a big pm discussion in open mic about it...good information there.
HisChildForever Posted March 2, 2010 Author Posted March 2, 2010 Right now I see it as completely unnecessary. If I am in a serious relationship leading towards marriage and my boyfriend has admitted to being sexually active in the past, then I will get it.
Veridicus Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 (edited) It is my medical opinion that you should get the vaccine. I recommended the vaccine to my wife even though there is no legitimate reason why she would ever contract HPV given our sexual histories. It is terribly unfortunate, but rape does happen. I would hate for my wife to get cervical cancer unnecessarily later in her life because someone someday randomly decides to victimize her and give her HPV. Edited March 2, 2010 by Veridicus
mcts Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='02 March 2010 - 05:56 PM' timestamp='1267570598' post='2065566'] Right now I see it as completely unnecessary. If I am in a serious relationship leading towards marriage and my boyfriend has admitted to being sexually active in the past, then I will get it. [/quote] You can also theoretically get it through clothing.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 The implication in parents' pushing it on their daughters is that they don't trust their daughters to be chaste. If their daughters desire to be chaste and then get the vaccine, it seems to send the message that the daughter isn't serious about trying to be chaste (kinda like a couple getting a pre-nup can't really be 100% serious about not ever getting divorced). At the same time, if you marry a man who might not have been chaste or if you are raped (God forbid!), it would be a legitimate precaution. Of course, nobody really likes to think about either of those scenarios.
Maggyie Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 I initially declined the HPV vaccine for the same reasons... I am not planning to have sex any time soon (like within the next 12 months). However as my relationship becomes more serious and we are moving toward marriage I have reconsidered. After all marriage usually means sex! And unfortunately while I have been chaste, the one I love has made just a couple of mistakes. It's also true about sexual assault, unfortunately.
Veridicus Posted March 2, 2010 Posted March 2, 2010 To borrow a phrase from Fulton Sheen (he was talking about another topic entirely) I think there is a lot more prejudice and sentimentality on all sides of this issue than any deep thought. Erin its ultimately your body and your medical decision and thus you should be the final say on whether you receive this vaccine or not. I am just trying to emphasize the fact that it is only external stigmatization and prejudice which insists that the receiving this vaccine implicates ANYTHING about your sexuality. If I was a woman and I knew that some studies state that upwards of 1 in 5 women experience rape or an attempted rape in their life, I would want to be protected against HPV for that reason alone. All children receive Hepatitis B vaccines in infancy even though it is primarily transmitted through mucous membranes and blood. I do not plan on abusing IV drugs or having multiple sex partners, but I am still glad I have the Hep B vaccine because I could step on a needle walking across a parking lot or get stuck by a needle accidentally at the hospital or be given a contaminated transfusion. The stigmatized mode of infection isn't necessarily what the vaccine may also prevent against.
CatherineM Posted March 3, 2010 Posted March 3, 2010 I haven't taken the shot. I did make sure my boys had the hep B shot even though they aren't homosexual, a large percentage of people with hep B are. I also did it because the school required it. I had an uncle who ended up with cancer in his penis that we were told was probably HPV related. Proportionality would probably persuade me to have a daughter get the HPV shot.
Veridicus Posted March 3, 2010 Posted March 3, 2010 [quote name='CatherineM' date='02 March 2010 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1267574985' post='2065598'] I haven't taken the shot. I did make sure my boys had the hep B shot even though they aren't homosexual, a large percentage of people with hep B are. I also did it because the school required it. I had an uncle who ended up with cancer in his penis that we were told was probably HPV related. Proportionality would probably persuade me to have a daughter get the HPV shot. [/quote] Yes the HPV serotypes associated with cervical cancer have also been implicated, albeit less frequently, with penile and anal cancers.
tinytherese Posted March 3, 2010 Posted March 3, 2010 I agree with other people who have pointed out the benefits of getting the shot, however your mom shouldn't force you do to it against your will. If I remember correctly, when I got these shots, since I was at least 18 (a legal adult) I was the one who had to give permission to the doctor with my signature. So technically, I don't even think your mom can even try to make you get it. (Oh the benefits of no longer being a minor!) I would also suggest that you talk to your mom about this, telling her how you feel about it. I think what is really bothering you is that your mom thinks that you could be sexually active before marriage when you know that that's not going to happen and that you feel hurt that she would suggest it for this reason, thinking that she doesn't believe in you. You can tell her that if you really were to get this shot that it would be incase of sexual assault or if your future husband has been sexually active. You can also tell her that she can't legally force you to do it anyway, since the doctor needs your permission.
Jesus_lol Posted March 3, 2010 Posted March 3, 2010 discarding any notions and prejudices etc, i dont see any reasons why you wouldnt have the vaccine. seems like all gain, no pain, unless you hate needles.
HisChildForever Posted March 3, 2010 Author Posted March 3, 2010 [quote name='Jesus_lol' date='02 March 2010 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1267578020' post='2065623'] discarding any notions and prejudices etc, i dont see any reasons why you wouldnt have the vaccine. seems like all gain, no pain, unless you hate needles. [/quote] I have eight piercings, no problem with needles. I appreciate the advice given in this thread and will take it under advisement.
Hilde Posted March 3, 2010 Posted March 3, 2010 The biotechnology department advised against it, because side effects especially long term haven't been thoroughly charted. Things like this made parents weary. There is a risk involved, and at this point i don't think it's right for me. In the unfortunate event of sexual violence I would go to a gyn and have some tests.
zunshynn Posted March 3, 2010 Posted March 3, 2010 [quote name='Hilde' date='02 March 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1267581486' post='2065639'] The biotechnology department advised against it, because side effects especially long term haven't been thoroughly charted. Things like this made parents weary. There is a risk involved, and at this point i don't think it's right for me. In the unfortunate event of sexual violence I would go to a gyn and have some tests. [/quote] The side effects of many vaccines are not thoroughly charted in the long term... not to mention many have been developed in shady situations which are kept pretty quiet... (from the tissues of aborted children, like the Chicken Pox vaccine, and from the results of the experimentation in Nazi concentration camps). The tendency for people to be pressured, sometimes even forced to receive vaccinations really bothers me.
Maggyie Posted March 3, 2010 Posted March 3, 2010 I have a question, are we as Catholics allowed to have things like the Chicken Pox vaccine which were developed through immoral technology? I assume the principle of double effect comes into play?
zunshynn Posted March 3, 2010 Posted March 3, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Maggie' date='02 March 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1267585534' post='2065686'] I have a question, are we as Catholics allowed to have things like the Chicken Pox vaccine which were developed through immoral technology? I assume the principle of double effect comes into play? [/quote] I don't think so... I got the vaccine a number of years ago (unaware of that about it, although at the time I probably really would not have cared if I did know) and mentioned it later in a general confession with a priest pretty knowledgeable about issues like that, and while he said it was not a serious sin because I didn't have full knowledge, it would be something to avoid in the future. ETA: Granted, the Chicken Pox Vaccine was not just developed using immoral technology... the vaccine is literally made from aborted fetal tissue, and still is. So that makes it more serious, I would imagine, than something that was simply developed by intelligence gained through immoral means, but does not continually require immoral means to be produced. Edited March 3, 2010 by zunshynn
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now