Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Think Phatmass Has Changed Over The Past 2 Months?


Recommended Posts

Posted

In my experience, PM changes slightly as people come and go ... each of us brings our individual personality to bear on our interactions here. I tend to think, though, that real life has more an effect on people's posting habits than anything else. People graduate from school and get jobs, or get married, or have children, or join religious orders, and PM is no longer as big a part of life as it once was.

I think that's as it should be. PM is not real life, but it can help to prepare people to better experience and appreciate real life. We have conversations often about things like vocation and children and so on, and I consistently see an orthodox Catholic position defended in those threads. People come here with questions about how to life out their faith, and they stay for however long they need to and learn about the faith from (hopefully) orthodox posters ... and then they go out and live their lives in the vocations they've been called to. Some people stick around longer and ensure that the message is perpetuated, but I guess it doesn't bother me that some of my favorite people aren't on as often anymore. They're out putting the lessons they've learned here into practice, and that's a beautiful thing and something we should be thanking God for.

Posted

It is about the same as when I joined in 2004 . . . just different people.

Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='06 March 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1267898149' post='2067547']
In my experience, PM changes slightly as people come and go ... each of us brings our individual personality to bear on our interactions here. I tend to think, though, that real life has more an effect on people's posting habits than anything else. People graduate from school and get jobs, or get married, or have children, or join religious orders, and PM is no longer as big a part of life as it once was.

I think that's as it should be. PM is not real life, but it can help to prepare people to better experience and appreciate real life. We have conversations often about things like vocation and children and so on, and I consistently see an orthodox Catholic position defended in those threads. People come here with questions about how to life out their faith, and they stay for however long they need to and learn about the faith from (hopefully) orthodox posters ... and then they go out and live their lives in the vocations they've been called to. Some people stick around longer and ensure that the message is perpetuated, but I guess it doesn't bother me that some of my favorite people aren't on as often anymore. They're out putting the lessons they've learned here into practice, and that's a beautiful thing and something we should be thanking God for.
[/quote]


IAWTC. ^

I've been on PM for almost 6 years, I go through fits and spurts of posting myself.

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='06 March 2010 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1267891761' post='2067516']
. . . I think the phorum was much better when people had a sense of humor
[/quote]
You have to have a sense of humor if you are going to read Reyb's never-ending thread in the debate forum on the historical versus the hysterical Jesus. :D

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Socrates' date='06 March 2010 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1267896661' post='2067538']
I think you're looking at the past through rose-colored glasses.
[/quote]
Simulacrum.

Lilllabettt
Posted

I think of phatmass as a real phamily. Sometimes family members are cranky, sometimes they are supportive, sometimes they are silly, sometimes they are serious ... no matter what, I just like to be around them. I have never had a "real" fight on PM. (not from my pov, anyway.) In fact, sometimes I like the people I argue with best of all.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='06 March 2010 - 10:21 AM' timestamp='1267888864' post='2067506']
I don't know about the past 2 months, but over the past 6, definitely.
[/quote]
I just realized I didn't put "6 years" as I had intended.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Socrates' date='06 March 2010 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1267896661' post='2067538']
I think you're looking at the past through rose-colored glasses. The fights now are nothing compared to those of several years ago! When I came on, in '04, there was a lot more "Traddie vs. Novus Ordo" type fights and stuff.
[/quote]
It's possible that I saw things differently then than I do now. I was in college and in a community that was very Catholic when I started getting really involved from Nebraska.

We did have a lot of Rad Trad debates, true.

Posted (edited)

this place is constantly changing. One of the reasons I left for a while. I still hope once in a while, Vera, TCW, or Immaculatta, or some of the old timers will jump in and say hi

Edited by Tony
toledo_jesus
Posted

During Lent Phatmass always gets a little tetchy. It works itself out.

Posted

I've only been posting regularly for a few months. I don't think I posted regularly enough prior to that to have noticed any large change. Then again, I can't really attach a memory to the 'older members' people have cited in preceding posts on this thread, so I suppose that demonstrates why I don't really have an opinion.

I probably am too serious in my posts; I just don't have a lot of free time so when I take the time to post about something it is usually something about which I am passionate.

Posted (edited)

I don't know about better or worse but everything changes, it is part of life. I still find this place to be supportive and inspirational, things that I need in my life right now. I joined back in early 2007, before I entered Carmel for the first time. Every time I have come out of a convent, feeling broken and needing some comfort, I have come here, and God has used different people to help me feel loved and ready to pick up my Cross and go on again. Let it change, let it stay the same, I love the phatmass phamily. :love:

Edited by nunsense
Nihil Obstat
Posted

Without Phatmass my faith life would be devastatingly lonely. :grouphug:

BarbTherese
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='07 March 2010 - 09:43 AM' timestamp='1267917200' post='2067665']
Without Phatmass my faith life would be devastatingly lonely. :grouphug:
[/quote]

Thank you for the above. It is a reminder to me that while by far the greater majority of people I come into face to face contact with in daily life are non Catholics - some curious, some hostile - some a bit of both - not many disinterested at all.........if it were not for Phatmass and two other Catholic discussion sites from time to time, my Faith life too would be "devestatingly lonely". I learn much indeed from these Forums that educates, supports and challenges - and all are good things.

Blessings this Lent - Barb

eustace scrubb
Posted

i just registered yesterday and am in the process of looking into conversion and honestly, it'd be a lot harder for me to do it without a place like this. if my family found out what i was doing, which would probably happen if my friends knew about it, a lot of old strife within my extended family that finally burnt out would be rekindled and i would be getting annoying calls, visits from people, insults, and my relationship with my parents, which has finally started to heal, would be heavily, heavily damaged.

seriously, you guys have no idea what a place like this means to some people...

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='eustace scrubb' date='06 March 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1267919236' post='2067681']
seriously, you guys have no idea what a place like this means to some people...
[/quote]
I bet you'd be surprised to find out how many people here know exactly what you mean (primarily because they, at one time, stood in your shoes).

eustace scrubb
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='06 March 2010 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1267919725' post='2067682']
I bet you'd be surprised to find out how many people here know exactly what you mean (primarily because they, at one time, stood in your shoes).
[/quote]


actually, given how many people on here have stated that they're converts or are looking into converting, i wouldn't be too awfully surprised...

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='eustace scrubb' date='06 March 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1267921570' post='2067691']
actually, given how many people on here have stated that they're converts or are looking into converting, i wouldn't be too awfully surprised...
[/quote]
Well plus if you don't convert within two years of joining, we use your IP address to find you, then we dispatch an elite squad of Catholic ninjas to kidnap you and bring you to the Vatican, where Msgr. Marini hypnotizes you and forces you to accept the Church.

Srsly, ask Jesus_Lol. he's escaped from them once or twice now.

Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='06 March 2010 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1267912711' post='2067619']
I think of phatmass as a real phamily. Sometimes family members are cranky, sometimes they are supportive, sometimes they are silly, sometimes they are serious ... no matter what, I just like to be around them. I have never had a "real" fight on PM. (not from my pov, anyway.) In fact, sometimes I like the people I argue with best of all.
[/quote]

I'm certainly guilty of being cranky at times.

Marie-Therese
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='06 March 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1267917200' post='2067665']
Without Phatmass my faith life would be devastatingly lonely. :grouphug:
[/quote]

Same here. :grouphug:

[quote name='eustace scrubb' date='06 March 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1267919236' post='2067681']
i just registered yesterday and am in the process of looking into conversion and honestly, it'd be a lot harder for me to do it without a place like this. if my family found out what i was doing, which would probably happen if my friends knew about it, a lot of old strife within my extended family that finally burnt out would be rekindled and i would be getting annoying calls, visits from people, insults, and my relationship with my parents, which has finally started to heal, would be heavily, heavily damaged.

seriously, you guys have no idea what a place like this means to some people...
[/quote]


I know exactly what you mean. I'm the only convert in a Southern Baptist family. To say it makes things interesting would be an understatement.

Btw, welcome to the phamily! :welcome: There are lots of us converts here. Anytime you need something, feel free to PM or just fire up a new topic. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...