An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Monastic "field Trip"

DameAgnes

pantaloons :hehe:

That hair shirt doesnt look too bad :mellow:. I had a pretty itchy sweater once that might have qualified, and it was a turtleneck too.

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='12 March 2010 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1268402910' post='2071679']
Wow... laughing I could get rich! I used to make all of these things for my community! But our Hair shirts were made from horse hair :topsy:
[/quote]

Indwelling Trinity you are one cool cat in my book!

I marvel at your knowledge in these things!! :woot:

Though if you are able to share your hairshirt-making secrets -- how does one use horse hair to make a shirt? Does horse hair mesh together in the felting prcoess? :detective: I am so curious about this. :lol:

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='12 March 2010 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1268403117' post='2071683']
Indwelling Trinity you are one cool cat in my book!

I marvel at your knowledge in these things!! :woot:

Though if you are able to share your hairshirt-making secrets -- how does one use horse hair to make a shirt? Does horse hair mesh together in the felting prcoess? :detective: I am so curious about this. :lol:
[/quote]

We got our hair shirt material from Italy so i do not know how they wove it together... I only cut them our in the fashion of a night scapular with ties on the side to keep it in place.

Now before anyone gets hot under the collar let me again caution that these must be used with prudence and according to obedience.... There.preaching over!:P

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='12 March 2010 - 08:56 AM' timestamp='1268402199' post='2071676']
I've always wondered what a real hairshirt looks like. So, I googled and found [url="http://www.cilice.co.uk/"]a store[/url] that sells various penitential instruments (I always wondered where one could buy these things from... :lol: If you are faint of heart DO NOT click that link.). Here's the hair shirt they sell:

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/hairshirt.jpg[/IMG]

For some reason I guess I thought it would look... [i]hairier[/i]. (Like fluffy angora wool.) :idontknow:
[/quote]
Did you read the Disclaimer at the bottom of the page? These are "collector's items for display purposes only."

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='12 March 2010 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1268404935' post='2071695']
Did you read the Disclaimer at the bottom of the page? These are "collector's items for display purposes only."
[/quote]

Funny they advertise them but you can't fins any place to buy them. I would have liked too as I no longer have my hair shirt. The cilice and discipline i already have .:weep:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='12 March 2010 - 06:56 AM' timestamp='1268402199' post='2071676']
I've always wondered what a real hairshirt looks like. So, I googled and found [url="http://www.cilice.co.uk/"]a store[/url] that sells various penitential instruments (I always wondered where one could buy these things from... :lol: If you are faint of heart DO NOT click that link.). Here's the hair shirt they sell:

For some reason I guess I thought it would look... [i]hairier[/i]. (Like fluffy angora wool.) :idontknow:
[/quote]

LOL! I found that site a while ago! Can you believe they have a site dedicated to selling stuff like that? After seeing that they also sell rosary rings, mantillas, and Catholic books, I thought, 'dude, this is one hardcore Catholic site! :lol_roll: :lol_pound: I actually found several items at one point on ebay.

dominicansoul

I stayed with the novitiate for a month at this monastery and was privileged to have a look at the archives. I was amazed and fascinated with the whips and chains, etc. One of the nuns told me that during the discipline, it wasn't that uncommon when the nun in front of you would miss her back and hit the sister directly behind her! :)

...religious life of the past must have been filled with "classic convent moments!"

Have you ever seen the 3rd Order Carmelites in Church with their large scapulars? The nuns in many monasteries wear them instead of their scapulars that are part of their habit. You can see them at the bottom of [url="http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/brown-scapulars-brown-scapular-of-our-lady-of-mount-carmel.php?gclid=CNuXr5O7s6ACFRgsawodhSUfUA"]this page.[/url]

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='12 March 2010 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1268405675' post='2071710']
Have you ever seen the 3rd Order Carmelites in Church with their large scapulars? The nuns in many monasteries wear them instead of their scapulars that are part of their habit. You can see them at the bottom of [url="http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/brown-scapulars-brown-scapular-of-our-lady-of-mount-carmel.php?gclid=CNuXr5O7s6ACFRgsawodhSUfUA"]this page.[/url]
[/quote]
The size is about right but the straps are too thin... the straps on the night scapular are about two inches thich or more so the dont slipp off in sleep.:topsy: Ours also had a metal 2 inch crucifix sewn onto the front/:topsy:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='12 March 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1268405100' post='2071700']
Funny they advertise them but you can't fins any place to buy them. I would have liked too as I no longer have my hair shirt. The cilice and discipline i already have .:weep:
[/quote]
It looks like the only item that has a button to buy is the Mantilla.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='12 March 2010 - 07:42 AM' timestamp='1268404935' post='2071695']
[/quote]

If you email them, they ask you the questions like are you older than 18, etc. When I first went on the site, there were more 'buy now' buttons, so either they're out or need to screen the buyers first.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='12 March 2010 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1268406991' post='2071725']
If you email them, they ask you the questions like are you older than 18, etc. When I first went on the site, there were more 'buy now' buttons, so either they're out or need to screen the buyers first.
[/quote]

Thanks His child... I need to do plenty in the process of discernment of course with permission which has already been given.

hugs,

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='13 March 2010 - 12:54 AM' timestamp='1268405675' post='2071710']
[/quote]

Ive never seen the 3rd order Carmelites in church but I`ll take that scapular in any way shape or form. :thumbsup:

[quote]Istayed with the novitiate for a month at this monastery and wasprivileged to have a look at the archives. I was amazed and fascinatedwith the whips and chains, etc. One of the nuns told me that during thediscipline, it wasn't that uncommon when the nun in front of you wouldmiss her back and hit the sister directly behind her! [img]public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

...religious life of the past must have been filled with "classic convent moments!"[/quote]

Oh my! I can only speculate but I think my reaction would go like this if that happened to me. :shock: :mellow: :rolling: