An Old School Catholic Message Board

Argh...magisterium

Bruce S

the lumberjack

oh I am careful.

and he MAY entertain, but he will very much tell you, from the pulpit,

[b]You're jacked up.[/b]

He is a man of God, not a monotone midget stuffed in a speaker box, rambling off useless information.

yes, there are people who don't like the atmosphere of my church, but the presence of God is undeniable. some people like the more conservative service, some people like something more upbeat and vibrant. its your choice.

I love a church that shows its fire and vibrancy, from the praise and worship, thru the service, and thru the week...though if you like the more conservative approach, God bless you!

littleflower+JMJ
:blink: kinda reminds me of church near me called solid rock worship....the building was made into a non-denominational church when the movie cinema that was there before it closed down

+JMJ

I'm not denying that he's a man of God. I'm just being cautiously optimistic. Is it out of the question that people are drawn into your Church for more entertainment reasons than spiritual? There's not necessarily anything wrong with this, as phatmass draws people in with entertainment--but hopefully, they stay here for spiritual reasons. If the entertainment is the "hook" to draw in non-believers, then I think it's fine. If the entertainment is the reason they stay, then that's where I think it's dangerous.

I often think that Churches like that are a great way to draw non-believers closer to Christ--as a stepping stone to a deeper relationship that they'll eventually be able to find in the Catholic Church.

[quote name='the lumberjack' date='Apr 12 2004, 03:37 PM'] you had me alllll the way up until the last 20 or so words...*sigh*

God bless. [/quote]
hahaha... Well, that's usually how it is. We agree about 90% and then you don't like the rest. haha

Since you are the one who follows the Bible alone, try reading about the church building straight from the Bible:
"I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of Thy house and the place where Thy glory dwelleth." (c.f., Psalm xxv)
The Psalm goes on to say "My foot hath stood in the direct way: in the churches I will bless thee, O Lord." Where does it say in the Bible, "I will bless Thee anywhere as long as the body of believers is present and we read the Bible and are "ON FIRE"? That is just something to think about, but you need to recognize that all of the claims that you have are not founded upon anything other than the fact that an individual is successful (and we see that he has reasons which are not religious that support this success). If you want to hear some more stories about religious success, I will be glad to talk about some of the stories of the martyrs of the Church as well as the great missionaries. [color=red][Edited by Good Friday: personal attack.][/color] God bless.

Edited by Good Friday

the lumberjack

[quote name='amarkich' date='Apr 12 2004, 05:27 PM'] Since you are the one who follows the Bible alone, try reading about the church building straight from the Bible:
"I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of Thy house and the place where Thy glory dwelleth." (c.f., Psalm xxv)
The Psalm goes on to say "My foot hath stood in the direct way: in the churches I will bless thee, O Lord." Where does it say in the Bible, "I will bless Thee anywhere as long as the body of believers is present and we read the Bible and are "ON FIRE"? That is just something to think about, but you need to recognize that all of the claims that you have are not founded upon anything other than the fact that an individual is successful (and we see that he has reasons which are not religious that support this success). If you want to hear some more stories about religious success, I will be glad to talk about some of the stories of the martyrs of the Church as well as the great missionaries. [color=red][Edited by Good Friday: personal attack.][/color] God bless. [/quote]
First off, the OT verses you use are talking to the JEWS...not Christians. please akamarich, tell me where the Jews of the OT communed with God?

His temple right? so....God sat on THE mercy seat, right? not multiple mercy seats, right? so....thats why David and anyone else in the OT would write, "THY house" "THY temple"...whatever else they would write like that.

[quote]Where does it say in the Bible, "I will bless Thee anywhere as long as the body of believers is present and we read the Bible and are "ON FIRE"?[/quote]

hmmm...I believe Christ said:

Matthew 18:20 [quote][color=red]For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.[/color][/quote]

Hi amarkich,

I like what Jesus said in John 6 regarding Holy Communion:

56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood [u]remains in me and I in him[/u].

:)

Archangel, that verse is referring to sanctifying grace for the most part, but it is certainly referring to the fact that the actual Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity are received by the communicant as well. It does not mean that God is physically present in the body of the communicant for hours or days or some sort of extended period of time. I am not claiming that a Mass cannot be said outside the confines of a church (this can validly be done), but I am saying that the Bible, Christ Himself, the early Christians, the Fathers, the Doctors of the Church, the Popes, etc., etc. all say that the house of God, the church building, is a very important part of worship. Likewise, while God is spiritually present when the community prays, it is His will that this be done in a church primarily. Also, God is not physically present if there is some sort of Bible study or prayer group. He is only physically present in the Eucharist which is only found in churches. God bless.

P.S., if religion is so individualistic, why did Our Lord say that referring to multiple people gathering in His name (among other things)?