An Old School Catholic Message Board

Official Debate Thread For Boys' Vs Girls' Choirs

Tridenteen

JMJ
Alright, then. Since it was confusing to go between CTT and OM, we are just making this the official thread. I assume everyone read my opening arguement, but I will put ti again. Oncde again the only rules are no foul talk, and no tattleing on Triddy to the choirmaster. Everyone cool? Oh yes, videos, opinions and all that are welcome!

JMJ
LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!!!!!!

Through my many months of free labour in the choir loft, I have been exposed to the nefaiously sickening ideas of boys' singing soprano in choirs. Yes, you might cry like a love sick lama "Tridenteen, boys always sing in choirs, like since the beginning of time..." blah blah blah blah blah. I am so unimpressed. Maybe boys should get over their huge inflated egos, hm? No, all you losers think we should FEED it! So, let's review. Boys have served Masses, sang in choirs, taken up collections, and entered oratorial prayer groups. And what do their SISTERS get to do? Let's think, help take care of smelly little children, babies with wet diapers who scream CONSTANTLY, clean up after their BROTHERS! and cook meals for the oratorial prayer meetings.
Now we can look at the economical impact of boy's vs girl's choir. Choir masters spend years training the little male brats to sing in high pitch voices, then after the boy's parents spend loads of money having the kid trained by professionals, hauling him back and forth between lessons...his voice cracks. Then he reaches the deep voice part, and the parents shell out more money having the freak retrained to sing like a man. If the parents would spend have as much time and money being concerned about their daughter, they only have to do it once. HAH! Her voice will only break once. The only thing that has happened to my voice is I have gone to whatever the voice ABOVE mezzo soprano is. Last year, some church was going to do the Miserere, and they were all killing themselves trying to find some little useless boy to sing the high part. You know, one of those nose picking little do nothings, who stirs up the baby while his sisters are trying to help their mums keep the peace. I can sing the high part, for pete's sake, as can many other girls I know, we evidently lack the "ethreal" sound. Make me puke.
Does anyone out there realize how little oppurtunity there is for young ladies and girls to sing church music? Everyone sayd "Oh, let's go find a little boy to go sing..." two months later "Oh croutons, his voice broke, looks like we will have to go find another bunch of boys, start from SCRATCH, and train the," well, that's the way to do it, ain''t it? Meanwhile, you can have a group of young ladies, train them, and they will sing like that for the rest of their lies, oh sure, their voices might go alto or soprano...but that isn't ANYTHING like going from Boy Soprano to BARITONE!
Well, anyone out there? And while we are at it, who else finds the Vienna Boy's Choir disturbing?

I would seriously like to know, does anyone else find the VIENNA BOY'S CHOIR disturbing?[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img]

laetitia crucis

Quoting myself from CTT: :P

[quote]If it's [i]only[/i] male choir vs. female choir, then male choir wins. Hands down.

You need that resonance that only a good male bass can provide. A majority women just aren't capable of that kind of range. Plus, other the other end -- there are males that can sing a mean falsetto. :)

Also, it doesn't seem like men suffer as much from that "nanny-goat" vibrato like some women do. :twitch:

Personally, I prefer mixed choirs; however, given these options I vote [b]male choir[/b]. [/quote]

(I tell you, if I make it to Purgatory, it's going to be filled with out of tune piccolos and "nanny-goat" vibrato vocals. Like nails to a chalkboard.)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='17 March 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1268855257' post='2074762']
Quoting myself from CTT: :P

(I tell you, if I make it to Purgatory, it's going to be filled with out of tune piccolos and "nanny-goat" vibrato vocals. Like nails to a chalkboard.)
[/quote]
Win.

JMJ
I [s]don't care for [/s]can't stand virbrato. It drives me crazy. Especially when whoever is doing it gets louder and frillier as they get higher. It makes me get the giggles and a headache.

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='17 March 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1268883033' post='2074978']
JMJ
I [s]don't care for [/s]can't stand virbrato. It drives me crazy. Especially when whoever is doing it gets louder and frillier as they get higher. It makes me get the giggles and a headache.
[/quote]
I generally agree. I want to throw something at the person who has an untrained, wide vibrato that spans two semitones. lawl.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='18 March 2010 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1268923353' post='2075101']
I generally agree. I want to throw something at the person who has an untrained, wide vibrato that spans two semitones. lawl.
[/quote]

Like a BRICK.

:saint:

I don't know anything about the technical aspects of chanting, but as an ordinary listener, I prefer to hear monks chanting than nuns. And I prefer "deep voiced" chants rather than "soft voiced" chants (you can translate that into your technical language).

[quote name='Era Might' date='18 March 2010 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1268929421' post='2075151']
I don't know anything about the technical aspects of chanting, but as an ordinary listener, I prefer to hear monks chanting than nuns. And I prefer "deep voiced" chants rather than "soft voiced" chants (you can translate that into your technical language).
[/quote]
I think it's just how the male voice resonates. For those savvy with science, I think it's how the harmonic series plays out in a space with a bunch of male voices singing in unison.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='18 March 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1268937126' post='2075221']
I think it's just how the male voice resonates. For those savvy with science, I think it's how the harmonic series plays out in a space with a bunch of male voices singing in unison.
[/quote]
I imagine it has to do with the wavelength of lower notes versus higher ones. That's why listening to a really high note hurts your ears, while it doesn't with lower ones.

Plus I think that the male voice tends to be more sonorous than the female one.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='God Conquers' date='18 March 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1268941171' post='2075274']
I like a mixed choir: boys for the ears, girls for the eyes.
[/quote]
:lol_pound:

[quote name='God Conquers' date='18 March 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1268941171' post='2075274']
I like a mixed choir: boys for the ears, girls for the eyes.
[/quote]

That's why we need to go back to having choir lofts. :mellow:

Personally, I think it really depends on the piece, but I love hearing choirs of men. It's beautiful to listen to. But I still think the best thing is a mixed choir... Precisely because men and women's voices are ideal for different things. Jesu Dulcis for example... there's just something about the contrast between the men's voices and the women's that is absolutely captivating. Not that it's not beautiful otherwise, it just has something "extra" in a mixed choir.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63jKihoYRg[/media]

there that should solve it one way or the other :)