An Old School Catholic Message Board

Photo Of Nuns Used In Article Against The Bishops

Sister Rose Therese

Sister Rose Therese

Hi every one.
Just saw this article [url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostroy/what-pro-life-emreallyem_b_504259.html?ref=fb&src=sp"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostroy/what-pro-life-emreallyem_b_504259.html?ref=fb&src=sp[/url]
there is a picture on it of, I think, some Benedictine Nuns.
I am sure they are not one of the communities supporting the healthcare bill against the Bishops but their photo is being used as if they were.
Does anyone know who they are? I can't imagine the newspaper has their permission to use the photo in this way. I don't know where they got it.

brandelynmarie

Those are Benedictines who are most defintely NOT part of the LCWR! :getaclue: The Social Service Sisters wear secular clothing...They must have used what they thought was a random photo of nuns :huh:

:madrant: Oooooh! I just went back to leave a comment about the sisters being prolife & someone already did.

Here's their comment:

Actually, here are nuns who know what it means to be pro-life:
http://www.cmswr.org/

Reply Posted 03:30 PM on 3/19/2010

Here's Andy's reply:

Thanks for picking out and commenting on the most colosally insignifcant element of this story. Just sayin'...

Reply Posted 01:41 PM on 3/19/2010

>:(

Edited by brandelynmarie

oh my, those are the Benedictine Traditional Nuns at Le Barroux France.taken by Henri Gaud, and not from any Getty or AP wire for sale i am sure. i have permission to use it for my Blog.The original is at
http://www.photothequegaud.com/index.php?rep_cible=ABBAYES%20et%20PRIEURES/Benedictins/33-FRANCE/84-008%20-%20Le%20Barroux%20femmes/84-008%20-%20Le%20Barroux%20MON&pg=9&img=DSK84-008-0605-5430.jpg

, i assume they are just using it, without permission of course, as an example of 'Nuns' , but in the news they keep calling the 'Sisters of DST Jospeh, nuns, which theeyr arent.

To whom it may concern
regarding
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostroy/what-pro-life-emreallyem_b_504259.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostroy/what-pro-life-emreallyem_b_504259.html[/url]
-
All images on this site belong to Editions Gaud.
Their use is subject to authorization.

PLEASE immediately remove the photograph from the article. It has not been used with the express permission of Henri Gaud, and is of Traditional Pro-life Benedictine Nuns in Le Barroux ,France. it should not to be associated with such an assumptive article about American 'Nuns' (actually the article is properly to speak of Religious 'Sisters' and not 'Nuns'.
. the original is at
[url="http://www.photothequegaud.com/index.php?rep_cible=ABBAYES%20et%20PRIEURES/Benedictins/33-FRANCE/84-008%20-%20Le%20Barroux%20femmes/84-008%20-%20Le%20Barroux%20MON&pg=9&img=DSK84-008-0605-5430.jpg"]http://www.photothequegaud.com/index.php?rep_cible=ABBAYES%20et%20PRIEURES/Benedictins/33-FRANCE/84-008%20-%20Le%20Barroux%20femmes/84-008%20-%20Le%20Barroux%20MON&pg=9&img=DSK84-008-0605-5430.jpg[/url]
-
[url="http://www.editionsgaud.com/"]Éditions GAUD[/url] - 11 rue Brulard
77950 Moisenay France - Fax : 01 60 69 92 08
Tél : 01 60 66 94 60 - Mobile : 06 07 65 08 70
E-Mail : [email="info@photothequegaud.com"]info@photothequegaud.com[/email]
Toutes les images présentées sur ce site appartiennent aux Editions Gaud.
Leur utilisation est sujette à autorisation.

brandelynmarie

Did you send e-mail to him or post this on the website? :idontknow:

Edited by brandelynmarie

Sister Marie

I am disappointed that these sisters would be dragged into something like this. Many prayers for them that this is resolved.

However, it certainly has happened to my community many times because our name is very close to the name of some other communities, some of whom signed this letter. It is a great heartbreak to those sisters who are faithful to get pulled into this situation when they really have no part in it. I know many people associate the LCWR with disobedience. I can see why they would because the LCWR supports things contrary to Catholic belief and practice. However, some communities joined LCWR before CMSWR was really an option. Although they recieve information from LCWR it by no means indicates that they support what the LCWR does. Some belong because they have access to more resources through the LCWR than they would otherwise. I'm not saying that there needs to be agreement but some understanding that not everyone is on the same boat. The LCWR would have you think that all the communities that belong believe the same thing - it is simply not true.

We all make mistakes, sisters and the faithful. All I am trying to say is that in charity we should be able to distinguish between leadership in a community and the individual sisters, communities who have the same name as others, communities who belong to LCWR and communities that belong but don't buy into it all.

Many prayers for all of you. I know that it is a heartbreak for you to see Sisters being disobedient. It is for me too. Feel it and pray for them, know though that others are with you in spirit in all of this.

God bless you!
Sister Marie

"Furthermore, we must unite ourselves to God’s will not only in things that come to us directly from his hands, such as sickness, desolation, poverty, death of relatives, but likewise in those we suffer from man -- for example, contempt, injustice, loss of reputation, loss of temporal goods and all kinds of persecution. On these occasions we must remember that whilst God does not will the sin, he does will our humiliation, our poverty, or our mortification, as the case may be. It is certain and of faith, that whatever happens, happens by the will of God." -St. Alphonsus

[quote name='HisChild' date='20 March 2010 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1269131101' post='2076509']
They must have removed the pic because I just went on the Huff link and the pic is gone.
[/quote]

Yep the picture is gone ... thank you EJames2 for acting!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='20 March 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1269137595' post='2076651']
I know many people associate the LCWR with disobedience. I can see why they would because the LCWR supports things contrary to Catholic belief and practice. However, some communities joined LCWR before CMSWR was really an option. Although they recieve information from LCWR it by no means indicates that they support what the LCWR does. Some belong because they have access to more resources through the LCWR than they would otherwise. I'm not saying that there needs to be agreement but some understanding that not everyone is on the same boat. The LCWR would have you think that all the communities that belong believe the same thing - it is simply not true.
[/quote]

I was not aware of this...thanks, I stand corrected. :blush:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' date='20 March 2010 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1269121741' post='2076407']
Those are Benedictines who are most defintely NOT part of the LCWR! :getaclue: The Social Service Sisters wear secular clothing...They must have used what they thought was a random photo of nuns :huh:

[/quote]

I believe that using the photo of the Benedictines was unjust and downright awful. I further stand with the Bishops on the healthcare bill and do not condone the signing of that letter urging Congress to pass the Senate bill.

But in fairness, I also believe that we should note that the Sisters of Social Service were founded without a traditional habit. They simply adopted the clothing worn by "women of the day" and were approved by the Church to do so.

The following excerpt is not from the sisters' web site (which some might consider to have a biased interpretation of their history) but rather from an encyclopedic article about their congregation.

[b] ...established in 1923 under the name of the Sisters of Social Service.
...the Sisters saw their commitment as being out on the street, involved in the daily struggles of the poor, and they structured their way of life to serve this ministry. To this end, in place of the traditional religious habit of floor-length robes and veils, they adopted simple gray suits as worn by other women of the day.[/b]

I know that many communities refuse to wear a habit and have an interpretation of obedience that just doesn't make sense to me...but I don't think that applies here concerning the clothing of The Sisters of Social Service.

Only days ago we had a thread deleted that was considered to be unjust and unkind because posters were seen to be making judgments about a particular community. Opinions and admonishments went back and forth and finally we were asked by the moderators to refrain from comments that made judgments about religious and their communities.

Although this post does not specifically say anything derogatory about the sisters clothing and it may not be the intention of the poster to defame them for their dress, I do believe that in the large majority of cases, when an "un-habited" community (esp of women) is mentioned in VS, that community is automatically seen in a bad light. I thought it would be good to know the history of these sisters regarding their clothing. In my opinion it would be nice to see them all in the same clothing - if only for the purpose of a unified witness - but clothing worn by "women of the day" is what they wear and while it may be a broad interpretation of that phrase it was how they were founded and approved.

Please let me be clear...I do not agree with their stand on the healthcare bill and I believe the right thing for them to do is come back in line with Church teaching on this issue.

Pax,
Osap

Very surprising to see Sister Simone Campbell speak out - espcially considering her own community - Sisters of Social Service - has Sister Paula, SSS - she has been a tireless worker for human life (in all its forms) and I cannot imagine they agree on this one. Not a criticism - but a comment. I think sometimes communities struggle just like families do. I am very sad the bill went through and I do not support it. I am very sad so many Sisters came forth in support of it.

http://www.volunteersforlife.org/about.cfm

Sister Rose Therese

Thanks everyone for your help.
Talk about blatant copyright infringement. A newspaper reporter should know better.

Not much point arguing with people like that on the healthcare issue. As you can see from the comments on the article, they are responding out of bitterness and resentment, not logic. Can't argue with that.

Edited by Sister Rose Therese

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Macies' date='23 March 2010 - 09:54 AM' timestamp='1269298456' post='2077986']
Very surprising to see Sister Simone Campbell speak out - espcially considering her own community - Sisters of Social Service - has Sister Paula, SSS - she has been a tireless worker for human life (in all its forms) and I cannot imagine they agree on this one. Not a criticism - but a comment. I think sometimes communities struggle just like families do. I am very sad the bill went through and I do not support it. I am very sad so many Sisters came forth in support of it.

http://www.volunteersforlife.org/about.cfm
[/quote]

A lot of sisters in these communities don't agree with what their superiors or others in their community have said. Many of them have written to their Bishop(s) and to Mother Clare to state this fact. It is very sad that these communities have taken this stand despite many of their own members disagreeing - even more division. Sad, sad.