An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eastern Nuns?

HisChild

Okay, so Brandelynmarie and I were on the phone today chatting about this Eastern Christian monastery of nuns that we remember from a long time ago but can't recall their name or site or who they are. We thought they were Maronite, but apparently since the Maronite Servants of Christ the Light were the first in the US, maybe they were Melkite... but they are an Eastern Catholic monastery. They are located in New England or thereabouts, perhaps even Massachusetts. Their habits were burgundy, or partly burgundy. Does this strike a chord with anyone? Any ideas?

Bueller, Bueller...

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='21 March 2010 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1269145090' post='2076722']
Okay, so Brandelynmarie and I were on the phone today chatting about this Eastern Christian monastery of nuns that we remember from a long time ago but can't recall their name or site or who they are. We thought they were Maronite, but apparently since the Maronite Servants of Christ the Light were the first in the US, maybe they were Melkite... but they are an Eastern Catholic monastery. They are located in New England or thereabouts, perhaps even Massachusetts. Their habits were burgundy, or partly burgundy. Does this strike a chord with anyone? Any ideas?

Bueller, Bueller...
[/quote]

Laughing did you say Eastern and wear burgundy? :P

:P Back. I knew you'd sink your fangs into my bait!

It's no one we had discussed previously!

I'm glad you are doing so well. I can't wait til you get home.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='HisChild' date='21 March 2010 - 01:41 AM' timestamp='1269146496' post='2076744']
:P Back. I knew you'd sink your fangs into my bait!

It's no one we had discussed previously!

I'm glad you are doing so well. I can't wait til you get home.
[/quote]

Laughing... you got me! Hugs sis!:topsy:

[quote name='dakurgie' date='20 March 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1269152448' post='2076765']
Is this the community that your thinking of HisChild?

http://maroniteservants.org/cms/
[/quote]

No, but thank you. That was the community I mentioned in my original post. They're the ones who are the first Maronites in the US. This other one is just confounding us! We can't for the life of us remember their name!

[quote name='HisChild' date='21 March 2010 - 07:26 AM' timestamp='1269152813' post='2076766']
No, but thank you. That was the community I mentioned in my original post. They're the ones who are the first Maronites in the US. This other one is just confounding us! We can't for the life of us remember their name!
[/quote]

Not [url="http://www.cjd.cc/aboutus.htm"]Sisters in Jesus the Lord[/url], by any chance?

genesisweavers

[quote name='HisChild' date='21 March 2010 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1269145090' post='2076722']

Bueller, Bueller...
[/quote]

You're right there was a community of Maronite Sisters who wore burgundy habits. They called a lot of attention to themselves with that habit - frankly I thought it looked very strange. I also think that you're right when you surmised they were in Massachusetts. I saw them one day at the Trappist Abbey in Spencer Mass. I later found a web site for them. I believe they were contemplative and the model for their life was hermit style. Somewhere I think I heard that they were surpressed. That may not be accurate. However the web site is down and I haven't seen anything about them for years. There is a community of Maronite monks in Petersham Mass. I think they might be able to shed some light on this question if anyone is interested in pursuing it further.

Blessings for the Holy Days to come
your brother
john

[quote name='genesisweavers' date='21 March 2010 - 05:15 AM' timestamp='1269173725' post='2076794']
You're right there was a community of Maronite Sisters who wore burgundy habits. They called a lot of attention to themselves with that habit - frankly I thought it looked very strange. I also think that you're right when you surmised they were in Massachusetts. I saw them one day at the Trappist Abbey in Spencer Mass. I later found a web site for them. I believe they were contemplative and the model for their life was hermit style. Somewhere I think I heard that they were surpressed. That may not be accurate. However the web site is down and I haven't seen anything about them for years. There is a community of Maronite monks in Petersham Mass. I think they might be able to shed some light on this question if anyone is interested in pursuing it further.

Blessings for the Holy Days to come
your brother
john
[/quote]

Well that sheds a little light. Thank you!

[quote name='rosamundi' date='21 March 2010 - 03:58 AM' timestamp='1269169134' post='2076789']
Not [url="http://www.cjd.cc/aboutus.htm"]Sisters in Jesus the Lord[/url], by any chance?
[/quote]

No, they were definitely Eastern Rite. But thank you! Wow, their habits are... different. I wonder why they chose to have shorter sleeves?

[quote name='HisChild' date='21 March 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1269178496' post='2076820']
I wonder why they chose to have shorter sleeves?
[/quote]

I might be mistaken, but I think that's a cape, and they wear sleeves under it. It looked like the one Sister had her "undersleeves" off, or rolled up.

I could be wrong, but I came from a community that wore a cape, and when we were working and rolled up our tunic sleeves under the cape, it looked like we had "short sleeves" sometimes :)

By His Grace Alone

Bueller, Bueller...
[/quote]

There was a group of Eastern Rite nuns in Braintree, MA at one time. They were there for about ten years but decided to pack it in and were suppressed, about three years ago, but I am not sure now. The professed Sisters who were there dispersed to other Orders. They were called the Hermits of Jesus the Eternal Priest (or something very similiar to that). The founding Superior, a professed Discalced Carmelite nun, and her Order were featured on Mother Angelica Live in 1997 or 1998.

Edited by By His Grace Alone

YES! That's them. Thank you.

Phooey. Well at least now we know why they're no longer online. I wonder why they were suppressed. They seemed lovely.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='By His Grace Alone' date='21 March 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1269218490' post='2077234']
There was a group of Eastern Rite nuns in Braintree, MA at one time. They were there for about ten years but decided to pack it in and were suppressed, about three years ago, but I am not sure now. The professed Sisters who were there dispersed to other Orders. They were called the Hermits of Jesus the Eternal Priest (or something very similiar to that). The founding Superior, a professed Discalced Carmelite nun, and her Order were featured on Mother Angelica Live in 1997 or 1998.
[/quote]

Yep! Yep! Thank you, that's them! I thought I was suffering from hallucinations or something :topsy:...Ok, I'm back online, my computer was snafu'ed (situation normal all fouled up) for a couple days...

Thought you fell off the face of the earth! Was just getting ready to call you or send out an APB! :P