An Old School Catholic Message Board

Human, Rabbit Dna Are Fused

marielapin

Human, rabbit DNA are fused

Hybrid embryos part of quest to create stem cells for medical use

RICK WEISS

Washington Post

Scientists in China have for the first time used cloning techniques to create hybrid embryos that contain a mix of DNA from humans and rabbits, according to a report in a scientific journal.

More than 100 of the hybrids, made by fusing human skin cells with rabbit eggs, were allowed to develop for several days before the scientists destroyed them to retrieve so-called embryonic stem cells from their interiors.

Although scientists in Massachusetts had previously mixed human cells and cow eggs in a similar attempt to make hybrid embryos for stem cells, those experiments were not successful.

Researchers said Wednesday they hoped the rabbit work would lead to a new and plentiful source of embryonic stem cells for research and, eventually, for medical use.

But theologians and others decried the work as unethical.

Some wondered what, exactly, such a creature would be if it were to develop to term.

The vast majority of the DNA in the embryos is human, with a small percentage of genetic material -- called mitochondrial DNA -- contributed by the rabbit egg. No one knows if such an embryo could develop into a viable fetus, though experiments with other species suggest it would not.

Congress has been mulling legislation for years that would outlaw certain human cloning experiments, with some opposed to any creation of cloned embryos for research and others sympathetic to research uses as long as the embryos are not allowed to grow into cloned babies.

No law has passed, however, in part because of researchers' warnings that the proposed restrictions are so sweeping that they would hobble development of new medical treatments.

The new work, led by Hui Zhen Sheng of Shanghai Second Medical University, appears in the latest issue of Cell Research, and was highlighted in a news report in the journal Nature. Cell Research is a peer-reviewed bimonthly scientific journal affiliated with the Shanghai Institute of Cell Biology and the Chinese Academy of Sciences. Some researchers Wednesday said they were frustrated by the lack of details in the paper.

The team said they retrieved foreskin tissue from two 5-year-old boys and two men, and facial tissue from a 60-year-old woman, as a source of skin cells. They fused those cells with New Zealand rabbit eggs from which the vast majority of rabbit DNA had been removed.

More than 400 of those new, fused entities grew into early embryos, and more than 100 survived to the so-called blastocyst stage -- the point at which coveted stem cells begin to form.

The approach could help scientists wishing to mass-produce human embryos as sources of human embryonic stem cells. Stem cells can morph into all kinds of tissues and may be able to reverse the effects of various degenerative diseases. But to make cloned embryos, scientists need both normal body cells -- such as skin cells -- and egg cells, which have the unique capacity to "reprogram" the genes in body cells and make them behave as though they were embryo cells.

Since human egg cells are difficult and costly to retrieve from women's ovaries, scientists have been wanting to know whether animal eggs may serve as well. A major question has been whether the remnants of mitochondrial DNA that typically remain in an animal egg would be compatible with the human "nuclear DNA" contributed by the human cell.

The work suggests that the answer to that question is "yes," scientists said -- though with a number of caveats. Most important, researchers said, the paper stops short of proving beyond a doubt that the stem cells retrieved from the hybrid embryos are truly capable of growing for long periods of time, and can turn into every known kind of cell.

cmotherofpirl

You know that eventually these Dr Frankensteins will let the creatures grow, and it will be the end of the world as we know it.

Have you seen the movie "Resident Evil"...

or anyother movie where scientist play God... We are living in the age of Dr. Moreau

How dare they think they can do a better job than God.

So sad... we are close... time now for confession and penance... gotz to clean the soul...

God Bless,

ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

They will only stop when we gather our courage and make them stop!

I don't think they'll stop...

Not until the second coming.

'Tis the end of the world as we know it.

it's the end of the world as we know it,

and I feeeel fine....

Because I'm Catholic and not in a mortal sin right now... hope to stay that way.

But I have many loved ones not :(

I feel so alone. God is everything to me...but everyone around me looks at me like I'm crazy when I talk about it...

I really think the end is near.

God Bless,

ironmonk

Great its scientists like them who cause really weird monsters to devleop.

In the show PR Time Force, all babbies are gentically enhanced to be perfect but problems arose in some babies and they turned into mutants. The mutants were shunned and then they became bitter and started to wreck havok in the city.

Thank goodness the Power rangers came to stop them.

It is the end of the world. I actually feel cold over here are we're near the euquator. I don't mind it being judgement day since I'm in a state of grace as well, that and the fact I hate my life now. Just hope my family is.

I'll pray for those mad scientists. Hope St Fancis apprears in front of them and screams "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?!"

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be cool to have a half-man, half-rabbit creature running around causing terror and mayhem?

Yeah... it must just be me...

Don John of Austria

vanhooty-- I told a friend of mine about this and he siad " what are they thinking? don't they reallize how scary a half rabbit half man would be! you know eventually they are going to let one of these things grow up....." We went on to discuss the frightening characteristics of such a creature.

Those of you that think rabbits are nice well think agian, if you are around a nice rabbit it is because he has been socialized to bew nice, naturally the are really quite nasty.

This sounds reminiscent of a disco song from the 70s by an artist called Cerrone. The situation described in the song isn't exactly the kind being discussed here, but it's similar.

Supernature - Cerrone

Once upon a time

Science opened up the door

We would feed the hungry fields

Till they couldn't eat no more

But the potions that we made

Touched the creatures down below

And the grew up in a way

That we'd never seen before

Supernature-Supernature-Supernature-Supernature

How can I explain

Things are different today

Darkness all around

And nobody makes a sound

Such a sad affair

No one seems to care

Better watch out

Don't you know Supernature

Better watch out

There's no way to stop it now

You can't escape

it's too late

Look What you've done

There's no place that you can run

The monster made

we must pay

Supernature

Better watch out

Supernature

Don't you know

Supernature

Better Watch out

Source: Seventies Dance Music Page

I know it's strange that disco music, which is all about parties and hedonism, could have a message, but it did in this case! Creepy!

Edited by davejc29201