An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anglicans Like Talking

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='27 March 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1269722646' post='2081514']
Showing my ignorance--what does RSV stand for? (Somehow, on this phorum I doubt it stands for the Revised Standard Version--that Protestant stalwart.)

Also, remember I was introuced to the NAB back when it was the newest translation available. The reason I asked for other suggestions was that I figured that there was probably something newer that was more accurate.
[/quote]

Yes it is revised standard version. Get RSV-CE by Ignatius Press.

Do NOT get IRSV... it is a horrible translation. "I will make you fishers of men" turns into "I will make you fish for people"

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Slappo' date='27 March 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1269722793' post='2081516']

Do NOT get IRSV... it is a horrible translation. "I will make you fishers of men" turns into "I will make you fish for people"
[/quote]
Wow....... I like how they manage to completely change what that means. :mellow:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='27 March 2010 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1269720256' post='2081473']
LOL! Well, they're won't be any battle brewing from my end. I'm not a biblical scholar, nor do I pretend to be. In college, I had a friend who was a grad student in Classics and an Catholic ex-brother (not sure what order he left). While we sat with our English translations, he was able to read Greek, Hebrew, and ancient and modern Latin. We used to have wonderful bible studies, because he would talk about all the nuances of the original language that make "accurate translation" so difficult, and sometimes controversial.

If any of the posters on Phatmass who ARE biblical scholars feel that a different translation is better/more accurate than the NAB, I'm willing to listen. I got used to using the NAB when I was in college and dinosaurs roamed the earth, but I'm not tied to it.

I still think the King James Bible has some of the most beautiful prose ever written in English, but it obviously is no longer the most accurate translation. Still, it has its place (in my world, at least).
[/quote]
RSV-CE is a more accurate translation, but for you,I would recommend the 1977 New English Bible catholic Edition for the sheer beauty of language.Think of KJV only accurately translated and catholic- think of the language of Shakespeare, its just that good. THe Navarre Bible has scholarly footnotes, The St Ignatius one has the most cross-referenced catholic footnotes you can find, and the NAB is a good paperweight.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Slappo' date='27 March 2010 - 03:39 PM' timestamp='1269722381' post='2081510']
I don't recommend that website. If you look at the links below that it supports, they are in error with the Church.

SSPX/Angelus Press/etc
[/quote]

Darn, I kinda wanted to order some Catholic rubber stamps. I get so tired of all the usual ones. LOL

Note: My joke does NOT mean that I did not take your post seriously.

As for the NAB making a good paperweight--I needed a good paperweight, and now I don't have to buy one.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Slappo' date='27 March 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1269722793' post='2081516']

[/quote]

Yes, the thought of "fishing for people" sounds a little too cannibalistic for my taste. The Protestant misunderstanding of transubstantiation is bad enough--this translation would make it worse!

Well that and the whole "fishermen" "fishers of men" change.

Now its fishermen to men who fish for people... ugh

Ephrem Augustine

[quote name='Slappo' date='27 March 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1269724003' post='2081534']
Well that and the whole "fishermen" "fishers of men" change.

Now its fishermen to men who fish for people... ugh
[/quote]

No no, women and men who fish for people :wacko:

Brother Adam

[quote name='Slappo' date='27 March 2010 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1269722381' post='2081510']
I don't recommend that website. If you look at the links below that it supports, they are in error with the Church.

SSPX/Angelus Press/etc
[/quote]

Be very careful with that statement given some of the latest developments in the Church. Some of the things Angelus publishes are amazing.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='27 March 2010 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1269722951' post='2081522']
Darn, I kinda wanted to order some Catholic rubber stamps. I get so tired of all the usual ones. LOL

Note: My joke does NOT mean that I did not take your post seriously.

As for the NAB making a good paperweight--I needed a good paperweight, and now I don't have to buy one.
[/quote]

:))