An Old School Catholic Message Board

"the Four Loves" By C. S. Lewis

Thomist-in-Training

Thomist-in-Training

As Catholics do we (you) (good philosophers) think that Lewis' [i]The Four Loves [/i] is a valid explication of the kinds and nature of love? I don't even really know how to phrase this question. I'm actually going to work pretty soon but I will check the thread later today probably. I haven't read it in a few years, but I am reading Tolkien and he discusses a bit about this sort of thing in his letters to his sons. So I was wondering if there was a Catholic viewpoint on Lewis on this matter.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='27 March 2010 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1269706098' post='2081331']
As Catholics do we (you) (good philosophers) think that Lewis' [i]The Four Loves [/i] is a valid explication of the kinds and nature of love? I don't even really know how to phrase this question. I'm actually going to work pretty soon but I will check the thread later today probably. I haven't read it in a few years, but I am reading Tolkien and he discusses a bit about this sort of thing in his letters to his sons. So I was wondering if there was a Catholic viewpoint on Lewis on this matter.
[/quote]
It has been many years since I read that text but I don't remember anything particularly problematic about it. I read some neat books on the subject by Catholic authors. The coolest imo is Dietrich Von Hildebrand's [i]The Nature of Love[/i] (recently available in English), but I also recall enjoying Scheler, Marcel, Pieper and others.

infinitelord1

I have never read this book...

but i have recently been talking about the different types of love with a friend of mine...

based on my own experiences and feelings i have been able to define a few types of love such as platonic love, romantic love, unconditional love (like a parent has for a child), and love between friends (not sure what to call it).

are any of these mentioned in "the four loves"? if they are then i believe in them.

charleseherring

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='31 March 2010 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1270013696' post='2083884']

but i have recently been talking about the different types of love with a friend of mine...

based on my own experiences and feelings i have been able to define a few types of love such as platonic love, romantic love, unconditional love (like a parent has for a child), and love between friends (not sure what to call it).

are any of these mentioned in "the four loves"? if they are then i believe in them.
[/quote]

you got all four basicly :) Affection, Friendship, eros ( is love in the sense of 'being in love'. This is distinct from sexuality), and friendship, i personaly like the book and saw nothing wrong with it, i mean it comes from the guy who wrote mere christiantity :) :D

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Loves"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Loves[/url]

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='31 March 2010 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1270013696' post='2083884']

[/quote]

The four loves discussed in this book are Agape, Storgē, Philia, and Eros. My favourite section is the section on Eros, since I read this book immediately after completing reading [i]Love And Responsibility.[/i]

This book can be found on the Internet Archive, as part of the Million Book Project.[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Book_Project"]*[/url] If you have time to read it, you can download a scanned and digitised version (PDF or DJVU) of the book from the Internet Archive.

LINK: [url="http://www.archive.org/details/fourlovesthatour027870mbp"][b]Internet Archive: The Four Loves - C.S. Lewis[/b][/url]

Edited by Innocent

LivingStone

He has a different standpoint than is traditionally attributed to the four different kinds of love (altered/modified from Aristotle). I was writing a paper regarding the philosophy of love and decided to not use Lewis, and rather, I used Dietrich von Hildebrand, Karol Wojtyla, Alice von Hildebrand, Patrick Lee, and Josef Pieper.