Sojourner Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 Especially for those who were recently received into the church, what was your RCIA experience like? How many people were in your classes? How much were you able to interact with them? What topics were covered in your classes? Who taught your classes? What would you change about the experience? What was good about it?
homeschoolmom Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 Well, we joined ours late. Our rcia teacher is the director of adult ed. at our parish. The classes were every week from Sept. to the end of April. Well, we met with him in Feb. and asked for permission to join and be received this year. He said that due to all of the studying that we had done on our own, we would be allowed to join. The classes were top-notch. Each of our priests and parish members came in at various times to talk about some of the topics. (each of the Sacrements, the parts of the Mass, etc.) There was a Sat. "retreat" were we got to know the other candidates better etc. There were about 34 candidates, plus personal sponsors and parish sponsors. The teacher and his wife were our sponsors (since we didn't have anyone...) they were wonderful-- very supportive. We still have two more get togethers as a class. We really don't know anyone all that well, but we've been made to feel included and welcomed. Did anyone else have the weeks that during the mass the RCIA candidates were sent out prior to the Eucharist? I understand that this isn't always done anymore. While I hated it at the time (although I understood it's purpose), I think it was really meaningful. We did this for four weeks. After we were excused from Mass, the RCIA teacher took us to the library to talk about the Scripture lesson in more detail. Anyway... great experience. I would gladly be a sponsor for someone next year.
jessinoelw Posted April 14, 2004 Posted April 14, 2004 Our RCIA class wasn't great. First, they talked about the Eucharist in a way that sounded like they didn't believe in the Real Presence. Then they had a lady come in and talk about morality. She said that we're all just supposed to follow our consciences and make our own decisions, including whether or not to use birth control. We dropped out and switched to private instruction with a priest at another parish (the one we currently attend). --Jessica
Sojourner Posted April 14, 2004 Author Posted April 14, 2004 My class had its ups and downs. I started in August 2003 and we had about 3.5 months of classes going over various aspects of the Church: the Creed, church history, the sacraments, the Mass, etc. Then starting in January, we left Mass each Sunday at the beginning of the Liturgy of the Eucharist for half-hour sessions going over questions, information for upcoming events, the days readings, etc. We had about 10 people in my class, and my parish (which is 2/3 Hispanic) had another class with about that many Spanish-speaking folks. Our instructor was a Franciscan nun, who was very sweet but a bit unorthodox on some of her teachings. In fact, I think I would have had some really screwy ideas about the church if I hadn't been doing my own reading and study. (For example, the woman who taught us about Mary compared devotion to her to a "superstition".) A couple of things really surprised/bothered me; we had a couple of couples who were living together who entered, but as far as I know this was never addressed. In fact, our instructor glossed over sexual sin as being "not that big of a deal" which was and is problematic for me. I'd come from a church where such behaviour would NEVER have been tolerated; in fact, I know my previous pastor had confronted an unmarried couple he saw exiting Victoria's Secret once, so the attitude at my parish is a little hard to swallow. The other things I found bothersome were the apparent lack of real interest/understanding demonstrated by my fellow candidates. One guy told me he'd rather be in our classes during the Eucharist than actually partake, and at another point it became obvious that several people in the class did not understand Jesus to be divine as well as human. I brought up all of this stuff at various points to people, and received varying responses. All this really motivates me, though, to help out with the group that will start this fall.
homeschoolmom Posted April 14, 2004 Posted April 14, 2004 Wow... makes me even more glad for our great RCIA team. I have found it hard to get used to some things as "not that big of a deal" that had once been quite a big deal... smoking, drinking... etc. Our previous church was pretty concervative... our parish is too, but I will NEVER get used to sitting next to parishoners who smell like cigarette smoke!!
Ellenita Posted April 14, 2004 Posted April 14, 2004 We had very gentle RCIA classes. We were a small group and it was wonderful to be a part of learning and growing together. I was also very blessed because my priest gave me some individual classes first as I was entering RCIA later than the others. It was such a privilege to have that time with him, an opportunity to have some real in depth discussions!
PedroX Posted April 14, 2004 Posted April 14, 2004 Homeschoolmom, The best parishoners are the ones who smell like smoke!! Trust me on this one. peace...
homeschoolmom Posted April 14, 2004 Posted April 14, 2004 [quote name='PedroX' date='Apr 14 2004, 11:24 AM'] Homeschoolmom, The best parishoners are the ones who smell like smoke!! Trust me on this one. peace... [/quote] yeah... I remember reading your post about smoking on the open mic.... So I'm [i]not[/i] one of the best parishoners???
Sojourner Posted April 14, 2004 Author Posted April 14, 2004 [quote name='PedroX' date='Apr 14 2004, 12:24 PM'] Homeschoolmom, The best parishoners are the ones who smell like smoke!! Trust me on this one. peace... [/quote] Whatever, PedroX. You know it's the red-haired parishioners who are the best.
marielapin Posted April 14, 2004 Posted April 14, 2004 Well I joined the Church 3 years ago (not too long I hope to post my experience). Our RCIA class was taught by our two priests. They were VERY detailed on the teachings of the Church, and what we as Catholics must believe. They also went into historical details and liturgical nuances of the Church (like, can you name the days of the year that the priests wear red?) It was a meat and potatoes, no frills, to be a Catholic you must believe this kind of class. No one was allowed to leave that class ignorant.
PassionistF Posted April 14, 2004 Posted April 14, 2004 Two words would describe the RCIA class that I attended every week on Wednesdays .... "Soft-Toss". No Catechism, no Bible. Even watched a video from the Oprah Winfrey show featuring Doctor Phil (gag). I stayed with the program and seemed to become an ever-increasing thorn in Sister so-and-so's side. To the point that she chastised me once about something using the opening line: "I know what they tell you on EWTN, but......" Oh Brother! The Sacraments were covered pretty well and we were well coached on procedure and etiqette. But, I shudder to think where I would be if I hadn't read so much and studied so much on my own. Some who attended with me left me wondering .... one RCIA educator basically told one young girl that birth control was a personal choice that could be left up to her, no guidance from the Church .... (YIKES).
dramaqueen Posted April 17, 2004 Posted April 17, 2004 You know, I am very greatful for this section and this topic. I have had a good experience because the people involved were very sincere. I was just saying last week though, how I was surprised that there was never any real doctrine covered. It was mainly an introduction to God and being "Christian" with an emphasis on the aspect of community. I came from a Fundamentalis background and so I had to learn for myself what it meant to be Catholic and why the beliefs I htouht I held were not correct. I have been a Christian for many years, but hth whole point of RCIA was that I wanted to learn how to be a CATHOLIC. I was shocked that the real presence was mentioned like everyone just assumed that it was. It was never explained or taught. I am fortunate to have discovered a great book to help me understand its deep significance. I was also fortunate to have a Catholic book store down the street from my house. The owner and I have become friends and he has been the one who has really taught me the doctrines. He is very into apologetics and so I got a lot of great info. I think that in order to avoid a lot of tough questions, they "soften" the message. In my opinion, it is detrimental. If you do not address the true belifes then you are not making real Catholics-rather just Christians. And when faced with another point of view they won't know the truth since they have never been taught or have had to examine it and know if they really belive it. I sincerely believe that is why so many Catholics are beling led away, because they don't really know what they belive or more importantly WHY. I think it saves controversy in the beginning, but I alost think it short changes the faithful. We should never be ashamed to teach our faith. It is a precious jewel and we should be proud to speak about it. I know I am an I welcome any opportunity to talk aobut my faith!
homeschoolmom Posted May 7, 2004 Posted May 7, 2004 What, if any, reading material were you given in RCIA? We were given a CCC and something to read along with it... the title of which escapes me... As for the smoking parishoners, PedroX, I will never, ever get used to it. After 35 years of sitting in the non-smoking section of church, I will always be aware of it... and my allergies will probably remind me, too. But I would still sit next to you... (imagine a sneezing smiley here, since we don't seem to have one)...
Sojourner Posted May 7, 2004 Author Posted May 7, 2004 We were given various handouts, none of which included a CCC. I already had one, though. We did get a Bible, an NAB.
homeschoolmom Posted May 7, 2004 Posted May 7, 2004 [quote name='Sojourner' date='May 7 2004, 11:24 AM'] We were given various handouts, none of which included a CCC. I already had one, though. We did get a Bible, an NAB. [/quote] well, that's pretty cool... I'd take a bible over a CCC any day. We already had a CCC anyway, but there you go! We also got a bunch of pamphlets...
twf Posted May 15, 2004 Posted May 15, 2004 Homeschoolmom: I'd rather not go without either (the Bible and the CCC)...
homeschoolmom Posted May 15, 2004 Posted May 15, 2004 I just meant that we already had a CCC and, while we already had bibles, they were of the Protestant variety. So, now I am in the market for a new one... But picking out a CCC would have been much less of a challenge than trying to decide on a new bible. I didn't spend this much time picking out my last new car!!!
Sojourner Posted May 17, 2004 Author Posted May 17, 2004 (edited) [quote name='dramaqueen' date='Apr 17 2004, 01:09 AM'] You know, I am very greatful for this section and this topic. I have had a good experience because the people involved were very sincere. ... I came from a Fundamentalis background and so I had to learn for myself what it meant to be Catholic and why the beliefs I htouht I held were not correct. I have been a Christian for many years, but hth whole point of RCIA was that I wanted to learn how to be a CATHOLIC. ...I think that in order to avoid a lot of tough questions, they "soften" the message. In my opinion, it is detrimental. If you do not address the true belifes then you are not making real Catholics-rather just Christians. [/quote] Dramaqueen, I think you've beautifully explained exactly what was true for me in my RCIA class ... a lot of feel-good stuff, but not much real doctrine. I think it assumed too much base knowledge on the part of the participants. If I had not done my own reading and study for months before I decided to become Catholic, not only would I have been largely uninformed about the real teachings of the church at the end of my RCIA experience, but I am sure I would have had some really faulty understandings about church teachings as well. I think it is detrimental, and is something that needs to be addressed in some way. I'm just not quite sure how. Edited May 17, 2004 by Sojourner
Mr. Cube Posted May 17, 2004 Posted May 17, 2004 My RCIA class is still going on at St. Patrick's in Yorkville, IL, and is taught by Sr. Kathryn, a Franciscan who is teaching us the basics of the Catholic faith. I hear Sr. Kathryn is very traditional, but she's really a faithful Catholic. The first day of class, she announced, "I'm Sr. Kathryn, your RCIA teacher. I'm here to tell you the truth about the Catholic Church." I have no reason to doubt her. There are about 15 people in my RCIA class, but I don't really know them, because St. Patrick's isn't my home parish. I'm taking classes there, because of the class schedule, not because of any problems with my home parish, St. Paul's in Sandwich. Sr. Kathryn invited a few guest speakers, and most were very good. I wish I remembered their names. One talked about the resurrection of Lazarus, another about morality (someone should have given me that talk about 10 years ago), and Sr. Barbara talked about the Beatitudes, and the Last Things. One day the married members of the RCIA team brought their spouses, and talked about their marriages. The only problem I have with my RCIA class is that Sr. Kathryn should refer more to the Bible and Catechism, and not hand out so many pamphlets.
Quietfire Posted May 24, 2004 Posted May 24, 2004 (edited) I have to check out RCIA. Exactly what does it stand for? What should I ask when going to the parish to sign up for class? I wish to learn properly. Nothing too liberal. But are there any warning signals or red flags to watch out for? I know it sounds bad, but I think sometimes it sounds as if Catholics take for granted this gift (being Catholic) This (Phatmass) is the FIRST Catholic ...anything, where I see people who are actually into their Catholic faith. I mean, my family is Catholic, with the exception of my mom (Baptist) and my sis who converted to Episcopalian. I'm not sure what she believes in now. And my husband is Catholic. But my family is lukewarm. And that is how all the other Catholics I know are. I work with a woman who is Catholic, and I ask her questions(even simple ones about her parish) and she just shrugs. Another girl I work with was telling me that a local parish, when giving the envelopes for tithing, will not give them out unless there is at least fifty dollars per week in it. I asked her if she was certain about that, since she herself isnt Catholic. She said it's what she heard. I checked with someone who goes to that parish and their answer..a shrug. Then you wonder why people are so mislead. Its aggravating. So it important to ME, that I understand perfectly what I am going to be taught. No carp. I want doctrine, I want tradition and Tradition...and honestly...no Ophra videos. Peace. Edited May 24, 2004 by Quietfire
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now