An Old School Catholic Message Board

Human Sexuallity

infinitelord1

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='21 April 2010 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1271861317' post='2097310']
thanks. hey i wish i could go into detail about my deployment but im not supposed to. ill be back soon enough though.
[/quote]
Wherever you are deployed BE CAREFUL!! :starwars:

Ephrem Augustine

I almost want to guess that this person is a girl...

teenage boys, and even our media pressures teenage girls to be consider girls sexually attractive, or to be experimental. There is so much obsession with women as sexual objects in our media culture, it is no surprise that young girls are not also caught up in girl sexuality worship.

infinitelord1

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='22 April 2010 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1271952952' post='2098042']
I almost want to guess that this person is a girl...

teenage boys, and even our media pressures teenage girls to be consider girls sexually attractive, or to be experimental. There is so much obsession with women as sexual objects in our media culture, it is no surprise that young girls are not also caught up in girl sexuality worship.
[/quote]

no if you read the thread its me. i am a man. no offense taken by that.

[quote name='Socrates' date='22 April 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1271960069' post='2098095']
No one should identify himself by his disordered inclinations or temptations.
[/quote]
What about the Cookie Monster?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Era Might' date='22 April 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1271960243' post='2098097']
[/quote]
:annoyed: The Cookie Monster is a creature perfectly in line with natural and moral law.

[quote name='Era Might' date='22 April 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1271960243' post='2098097']
[/quote]
Don't mess with the Cookie Monster, man.

infinitelord1

I think now is a good time to start moving forward in this thread...

a good place to start would be with defining what God intended for us when it comes to sexuality.

"God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." New International Version, Genesis 1:28

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
--Genesis 2:24

I also want to point out that homosexuality does not fulfill "natural law" because it does not procreate. The main purpose of sex is procreation. Any other form of sex or sexual act that does not fulfill this is sinful. Love would be the next necessary requirement in experiencing sex as intended by God. Then Pleasure. All in order of precedence.

I wish i could find actual theological or even philosophical arguements/references that would back these claims up. These are things I was taught back in school. If anyone wants to add any scriptural or catechism references to this that would be great. I also want to point out that for someone who does not really take the bible literally (interpreting it liberally) or for people who do not really believe in God...these claims may not really appeal to them.

I know a lot of you at this point may be thinking that this is all common knowledge...because it is.

Edited by infinitelord1

infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='23 April 2010 - 08:08 AM' timestamp='1272028083' post='2098491']
I think now is a good time to start moving forward in this thread...

a good place to start would be with defining what God intended for us when it comes to sexuality.

"God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." New International Version, Genesis 1:28

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
--Genesis 2:24

I also want to point out that homosexuality does not fulfill "natural law" because it does not procreate. The main purpose of sex is procreation. Any other form of sex or sexual act that does not fulfill this is sinful. Love would be the next necessary requirement in experiencing sex as intended by God. Then Pleasure. All in order of precedence.

I wish i could find actual theological or even philosophical arguements/references that would back these claims up. These are things I was taught back in school. If anyone wants to add any scriptural or catechism references to this that would be great. I also want to point out that for someone who does not really take the bible literally (interpreting it liberally) or for people who do not really believe in God...these claims may not really appeal to them.

I know a lot of you at this point may be thinking that this is all common knowledge...because it is.
[/quote]

Furthermore, my opinion on sexual immorality is this... I dont necessarily believe that sexual acts, that do not fall within the context of what god intended, will send us to hell. I think it only becomes a mortal sin if one continuously commits the sin throughout that persons life. Many of us have probably commited a sexual sin at some point in our lives.

I want to use fornication as an example in the consequence of sexual sin. If 2 people, who have sexual attractions (and even romantic) for each other, decide to get involved in a sexual relationship (outside of the context of marriage)... then the consequences may result in a broken heart by one of the individuals, they may feel broken spiritually due to the fact that their emotional needs are not being completely met, the relationship will most likely fail, the relationship may become abusive (not only emotionally but phyically), because people's needs are not being completely met they may start to cheat on each other, and those who cheat and commit sexual sin will find that it is harder and harder to have a serious relationship with someone...its like taking 2 pieces of tape and sticking them together then pulling them apart...the more and more you repeat this the easier it is to pull them apart.

I think that christians (everyone for that matter), who are in a relationship with someone, should strive for marriage (before sex). 2 people who are in a relationship should get to know each other before being bonded by sex. By getting to know each other first, we can eliminate a certain degree of propensity to experience the consequences of sexual sin. By getting to know each other, we also learn how to respect each other. Respect can lead to some very positive things in a relationship such as love, even better sex with your partner (because you love that person more), and you meet each others emotional and physical needs more sufficiently.

Brief Overview...

Strive for marriage before sex
Learn to respect one another
Meet each others emotional and physical needs

Edited by infinitelord1

Sternhauser

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='25 April 2010 - 02:31 AM' timestamp='1272180702' post='2099655']
Furthermore, my opinion on sexual immorality is this... I dont necessarily believe that sexual acts, that do not fall within the context of what god intended, will send us to hell. I think it only becomes a mortal sin if one continuously commits the sin throughout that persons life. Many of us have probably commited a sexual sin at some point in our lives.
[/quote]

Can you clarify this statement? It looks as though you're slipping into the fundamental option theory. I know you're probably not going into it knowingly, but it is a heresy. One act is all it takes to transform one's "fundamental option."

~Sternhauser

SaintOfVirtue

[quote name='God Conquers' date='20 April 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1271829743' post='2097234']
This is how you should identify yourself:

First Name, Baptismal Name, Last Name.

WHy pigeonhole yourself or anyone else? Especially if there are struggles there in the first place. DOn't put yourself inside or outside any boxes. Or closets.
[/quote]

<_< You forgot "Confirmation Name"

infinitelord1

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='25 April 2010 - 07:41 AM' timestamp='1272199281' post='2099681']
Can you clarify this statement? It looks as though you're slipping into the fundamental option theory. I know you're probably not going into it knowingly, but it is a heresy. One act is all it takes to transform one's "fundamental option."

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

So I just did research on this idea of "fundamental option". Basically what I have gathered is that because other people have done something it justifies you doing the same thing. Which, yes, this is an incorrect way of thinking.

So when you say "One act is all it takes to transform one's "fundamental option." are you suggesting that if we choose to do something, that we know is a sin, that one thing that we do can totally destroy our salvation? because it seems to me that many of us, especially the ones who were raised with a christian background (since we have a deeper understanding of morality), have chosen sin over doing the right thing at points in our lives. I would think that we should seek forgiveness for our sins and make a conscience effort to resist future temptations.

please correct me if i have commited heresy yet again...thanks.

Edited by infinitelord1

infinitelord1

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='26 April 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1272260413' post='2100214']
So I just did research on this idea of "fundamental option". Basically what I have gathered is that because other people have done something it justifies you doing the same thing. Which, yes, this is an incorrect way of thinking.

So when you say "One act is all it takes to transform one's "fundamental option." are you suggesting that if we choose to do something, that we know is a sin, that one thing that we do can totally destroy our salvation? because it seems to me that many of us, especially the ones who were raised with a christian background (since we have a deeper understanding of morality), have chosen sin over doing the right thing at points in our lives. I would think that we should seek forgiveness for our sins and make a conscience effort to resist future temptations.

please correct me if i have commited heresy yet again...thanks.
[/quote]

OK..so i have done more research on this subject matter...

Let me clarify that i think i have committed Mortal sin in my life...fornication. Is the only way to be forgiven of a mortal sin by confessing to a priest? Are there other ways to seek forgiveness? I have talked to a priest about this...i cant remember if i formally confessed to him or not. I have also talked to people whom i trust about the acts i have committed. Of course, someone who does not have a profound knowledge of the severity of sins cannot really assign penance.

Here is a bible quote on confessing sins...

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. James 5:16

Edited by infinitelord1

Sternhauser

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='26 April 2010 - 03:00 AM' timestamp='1272268846' post='2100240']
OK..so i have done more research on this subject matter...

Let me clarify that i think i have committed Mortal sin in my life...fornication. Is the only way to be forgiven of a mortal sin by confessing to a priest? Are there other ways to seek forgiveness? I have talked to a priest about this...i cant remember if i formally confessed to him or not. I have also talked to people whom i trust about the acts i have committed. Of course, someone who does not have a profound knowledge of the severity of sins cannot really assign penance.

Here is a bible quote on confessing sins...

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. James 5:16
[/quote]

Infinite,

I think I have committed mortal sin in my life, too. As Catholics, we believe that one mortal sin is enough to send oneself to hell. It would be a heresy to say that the only way one can ever be forgiven a mortal sin is to confess it to a priest. It would also be heresy to say that one should ever avoid confessing one's sins to a priest, and that it is the wisest, most prudent, and safest thing for a Catholic to do. Confession of any mortal sins is required at least once a year. Anything besides confession to a priest would probably be borderline, if not bald-faced, presumption upon the mercy of God. Another sin.

James said what he said to everyone. This is what Jesus said only to his Apostles (not even His mother was there at the time.) "Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them. Whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." James did not say that confessing one's sins to your neighbor will gain you forgiveness from God. But it can be a phenomenal exercise in humility and building close spiritual relationships with your brethren. Confessing your sins honestly and openly to a priest [i]will [/i]obtain the forgiveness of God. None but a few saints have ever been assured of the state of their soul at any point in their lives, or the certainty of their salvation. But confessing one's sins is the method that cannot be emphasized strongly enough. Sins are like a dam that we build. We can hardly notice it's there, if we become accustomed to it. Whether deliberate or not, it keeps God's graces and favors out. Take a hammer to that dam in the confessional, and God's graces, which have been building up behind that dam, will pour into your life once again.

If you're not sure that you've confessed your sins, just go to confession. Priests have heard [i]everything. [/i]There is nothing you can say that will shock them. They are in the confessional as representatives of the Man Himself. Stammer, stutter if you want. They've heard it all. They're just happy you're there. Picture the prodigal son's father, pacing back and forth, worried by the absence of his son. He wants you back in his home.

~Sternhauser

infinitelord1

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='26 April 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1272288301' post='2100275']
Infinite,

I think I have committed mortal sin in my life, too. As Catholics, we believe that one mortal sin is enough to send oneself to hell. It would be a heresy to say that the only way one can ever be forgiven a mortal sin is to confess it to a priest. It would also be heresy to say that one should ever avoid confessing one's sins to a priest, and that it is the wisest, most prudent, and safest thing for a Catholic to do. Confession of any mortal sins is required at least once a year. Anything besides confession to a priest would probably be borderline, if not bald-faced, presumption upon the mercy of God. Another sin.

James said what he said to everyone. This is what Jesus said only to his Apostles (not even His mother was there at the time.) "Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them. Whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." James did not say that confessing one's sins to your neighbor will gain you forgiveness from God. But it can be a phenomenal exercise in humility and building close spiritual relationships with your brethren. Confessing your sins honestly and openly to a priest [i]will [/i]obtain the forgiveness of God. None but a few saints have ever been assured of the state of their soul at any point in their lives, or the certainty of their salvation. But confessing one's sins is the method that cannot be emphasized strongly enough. Sins are like a dam that we build. We can hardly notice it's there, if we become accustomed to it. Whether deliberate or not, it keeps God's graces and favors out. Take a hammer to that dam in the confessional, and God's graces, which have been building up behind that dam, will pour into your life once again.

If you're not sure that you've confessed your sins, just go to confession. Priests have heard [i]everything. [/i]There is nothing you can say that will shock them. They are in the confessional as representatives of the Man Himself. Stammer, stutter if you want. They've heard it all. They're just happy you're there. Picture the prodigal son's father, pacing back and forth, worried by the absence of his son. He wants you back in his home.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
you know...i really think we should start a thread on this.