laetitia crucis Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='Maximilianus' date='21 April 2010 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1271902305' post='2097685'] It comes from the Spanish tradition. I was taught to make a small cross with my thumb over my forefinger and kissing the thumb at the conclusion of makig the sign of the Cross...it doesn't take me five minutes though. [/quote] While I lived in Brooklyn I was a member of a predominately Hispanic parish and had seen several Hispanic Catholics make the Sign of the Cross, then do what you've just described, and then do the entire Sign of the Cross again (w/o a second repeat of the "small cross with my thumb over my forefinger..."). I had always wondered about that. [size="1"]Before I could actually see and understand what was happening, it kind of reminded me about Eddie Izzard's bit on making the Sign of the Cross vs. swatting flies with one's hand.... [/size]
laetitia crucis Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='zunshynn' date='21 April 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1271902908' post='2097692'] The ones at my home parish (we have a very large hispanic population... there are two Spanish masses on Sunday and they're always packed) make a regular sign of the cross like that, and then make little signs of the cross on different parts of their face (like what we do at the Gospel during Mass) and then they make the sign of the cross a couple more times, and then a little sign of the cross again over their lips. There's some variation... like some of them do the little crosses after each large sign of the cross, and some do the little crosses at each movement of the large cross... But they all do it several times, from what I've seen. I was exaggerating about the five minutes though. [/quote] Oh yes... I've seen those variations as well.
Saint Therese Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 (edited) Oh, wait. I guess not. Edited April 22, 2010 by Saint Therese
Maximilianus Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='zunshynn' date='21 April 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1271902908' post='2097692'] The ones at my home parish (we have a very large hispanic population... there are two Spanish masses on Sunday and they're always packed) make a regular sign of the cross like that, and then make little signs of the cross on different parts of their face (like what we do at the Gospel during Mass) and then they make the sign of the cross a couple more times, and then a little sign of the cross again over their lips. There's some variation... like some of them do the little crosses after each large sign of the cross, and some do the little crosses at each movement of the large cross... But they all do it several times, from what I've seen. I was exaggerating about the five minutes though. [/quote] I'm assuming it's something developed among the Mexican/Central American population out west(I'm also assuming your home parish is in California).
Ephrem Augustine Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 (edited) [quote name='zunshynn' date='21 April 2010 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1271902908' post='2097692'] The ones at my home parish (we have a very large hispanic population... there are two Spanish masses on Sunday and they're always packed) make a regular sign of the cross like that, and then make little signs of the cross on different parts of their face (like what we do at the Gospel during Mass) and then they make the sign of the cross a couple more times, and then a little sign of the cross again over their lips. There's some variation... like some of them do the little crosses after each large sign of the cross, and some do the little crosses at each movement of the large cross... But they all do it several times, from what I've seen. I was exaggerating about the five minutes though. [/quote] I have seen this too, and know what you are talking about, when you said five minutes i laughed, i guess its an inside joke. It is not all hispanic Catholics... I think it is a combination of the regular sign of the cross, the three signs of the cross that we do during the Gospel Reading at Mass (Glory to you Lord), and an additional sign of the cross. Several finger kisses included. I think there is little reflection or catechesis in this area among many during their upbringing, and it just sort of happens. The majority of my hispanic friends, however do not do several signs on a regular basis however. Edited April 22, 2010 by Ephrem Augustine
MissyP89 Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 I have Greek Orthodox cousins, and I once saw one make the "reverse" sign over her chest only--no head or shoulders involved.
jeffpugh Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 Depending if East or West, I do the sign of the cross that is custom there. I don't want to draw attention to myself in the Eastern parishes Also, I remember Chris Padgett talking about his pet peeve with some people making the sign of the cross. He said there are a lot of Catholics who do a "secret cross" where they sorta touch their forehead, stop at their chest and go to the insides of their shoulders. Sort of mine as well. I try to do a full blown sign of the cross if I'm to do it.
Ephrem Augustine Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='22 April 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1271948768' post='2098003'] Depending if East or West, I do the sign of the cross that is custom there. I don't want to draw attention to myself in the Eastern parishes Also, I remember Chris Padgett talking about his pet peeve with some people making the sign of the cross. He said there are a lot of Catholics who do a "secret cross" where they sorta touch their forehead, stop at their chest and go to the insides of their shoulders. Sort of mine as well. I try to do a [b]full blown[/b] sign of the cross if I'm to do it. [/quote] secret sign of the cross, either "i am lazy" or "i don't want to make it look like it matters to me that much." I like that [b]full blown[/b]
Lil Red Posted April 22, 2010 Author Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='22 April 2010 - 08:06 AM' timestamp='1271948768' post='2098003'] Depending if East or West, I do the sign of the cross that is custom there. I don't want to draw attention to myself in the Eastern parishes Also, I remember Chris Padgett talking about his pet peeve with some people making the sign of the cross. He said there are a lot of Catholics who do a "secret cross" where they sorta touch their forehead, stop at their chest and go to the insides of their shoulders. Sort of mine as well. I try to do a full blown sign of the cross if I'm to do it. [/quote] +JMJ+ i get asked why i basically touch my navel when i do the sign of the cross.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='22 April 2010 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1271953121' post='2098045'] secret sign of the cross, either "i am lazy" or "i don't want to make it look like it matters to me that much." [/quote] Or "I don't want to draw positive attention to myself."
jeffpugh Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='Lil Red' date='22 April 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1271956318' post='2098076'] +JMJ+ i get asked why i basically touch my navel when i do the sign of the cross. [/quote] Wow. People approach you. I must not be doing it big enough then.
Lil Red Posted April 22, 2010 Author Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='22 April 2010 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1271964333' post='2098133'] Wow. People approach you. I must not be doing it big enough then. [/quote] +JMJ+ well, youth do. i guess i don't 'rush' it either - i take my time making the sign of the cross.
jeffpugh Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 [quote name='Lil Red' date='22 April 2010 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1271968221' post='2098171'] +JMJ+ well, youth do. i guess i don't 'rush' it either - i take my time making the sign of the cross. [/quote] Oh, okay Keep showing them how it's done!
sacredheartandbloodofjesus Posted April 22, 2010 Posted April 22, 2010 Fr. Zlatko Sudac makes the sign of the cross and ends on his heart.
Ephrem Augustine Posted April 23, 2010 Posted April 23, 2010 St. Clare of the Cross of Montefalco (one of our Augustinian Saints) was said to have the images of the Passion, the nails, and the cross, on her heart, when they inspected her incorrupt body. I keep that in mind, or rather, keeping my cross in heart, when I sign myself, and end at my heart.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now