An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chapel Veil Patterns

zunshynn

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='06 May 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1273191549' post='2106056']
Is there a rule stating women have to wear lace on their heads when meeting the pope?
[/quote]

I think it used to be the rule that women were required to wear black long sleeved dresses and black mantillas when meeting the Pope at the Vatican. But, from what I read, it is now optional, although many (most?) women meeting the Pope do it anyway. And, at minimum, modest dress is required

However, there apparently is an exception for certain female Catholic royalty, that they are allowed to wear white when meeting the Pope at the Vatican. Also, brides may wear their wedding dress to an audience with the Pope if they want a special newlywed blessing.

Someone correct me if I have this information wrong--I got my information from the Internet.

However, the Internet did not address proper attire for a woman who has challenged the Pope to a game of Monopoly. However, it is considered polite to let the Pope have the race car.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

marielapin

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='06 May 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1273197559' post='2106100']
I think it used to be the rule that women were required to wear black long sleeved dresses and black mantillas when meeting the Pope at the Vatican. But, from what I read, it is now optional, although many (most?) women meeting the Pope do it anyway. And, at minimum, modest dress is required

However, there apparently is an exception for certain female Catholic royalty, that they are allowed to wear white when meeting the Pope at the Vatican. Also, brides may wear their wedding dress to an audience with the Pope if they want a special newlywed blessing.

Someone correct me if I have this information wrong--I got my information from the Internet.

However, the Internet did not address proper attire for a woman who has challenged the Pope to a game of Monopoly. However, it is considered polite to let the Pope have the race car.
[/quote]

I've also seen women wearing white/ivory headcoverings when the Pope was baptizing their babies, though this was in the context of a mass which is completely different from a formal audience. And yes, you can wear your wedding dress and veil to get the newlywed blessing.

Thomist-in-Training

Queens of Catholic countries can wear white. It's not enough to be personally Catholic, you have to come from an officially Catholic country. I think there are only like two or three of those now, if any.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='07 May 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1273282709' post='2106581']
Queens of Catholic countries can wear white. It's not enough to be personally Catholic, you have to come from an officially Catholic country. I think there are only like two or three of those now, if any.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to shorten the post by saying "certain" and not going into details. I know Spain is one of the countries. I think Luxembourg and Belgium may be two others. Not sure about any other countries.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='06 May 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1273197559' post='2106100']

[/quote]

Very interesting - I had heard about wearing black and covering your head if you met the pope, but I didn't know the rule was that it had to be lace.

Just curious - where were you able to find that? The only info I could find was about mantillas being something worn in Spain and Latin America, and that it became traditional to wear Spanish mantillas after Queen Isabel II in the 19th century, but I was unable to find something saying hats and other headcoverings were not allowed with the papal audience rule. In fact, I could have sworn I saw a picture on PM a while ago showing the Queen of England meeting with the pope in black with a black hat, but I don't recall any mention that she was supposed to be wearing a lace mantilla. Just curious, because I find it fascinating that the rule would have been for a Spanish mantilla.

Edited by fides quarens intellectum

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='08 May 2010 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1273362532' post='2107182']
Very interesting - I had heard about wearing black and covering your head if you met the pope, but I didn't know the rule was that it had to be lace.

Just curious - where were you able to find that? The only info I could find was about mantillas being something worn in Spain and Latin America, and that it became traditional to wear Spanish mantillas after Queen Isabel II in the 19th century, but I was unable to find something saying hats and other headcoverings were not allowed with the papal audience rule. In fact, I could have sworn I saw a picture on PM a while ago showing the Queen of England meeting with the pope in black with a black hat, but I don't recall any mention that she was supposed to be wearing a lace mantilla. Just curious, because I find it fascinating that the rule would have been for a Spanish mantilla.
[/quote]

Forgive me, I didn't mean to suggest that the head covering had to be a black lace mantilla, although that seems to be what is favored-- at least by women who are important enough to have their picture taken when meeting the Pope.

I saw that picture of the Queen of England meeting the Pope, wearing a hat with a small veil at the back. Since the Queen has rarely been known to make a misstep in etiquette, I wonder if her position is felt to be different, or if she feels it is different, because she is the titular head of the Church of England.

Thanks for correcting my post.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 May 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1273362991' post='2107188']
Forgive me, I didn't mean to suggest that the head covering had to be a black lace mantilla, although that seems to be what is favored-- at least by women are important enough to have their picture taken when meeting the Pope.

I saw that picture of the Queen of England meeting the Pope, wearing a hat with a small veil at the back. Since the Queen has rarely been known to make a misstep in etiquette, I wonder if her position is felt to be different, or if she feels it is different, because she is the titular head of the Church of England.

Thanks for correcting my post.
[/quote]

ah, okay. I was just curious. Thanks for the clarification. :)

• 1 year later...

Ive made a number recently and gone for the 'rounded triangle' shape. They have been larger than you tend to see (at least over here where they are not particularly common) at 45" wide and 20" deep. They are only a cheapish lace, mainly because my priority was to make them available rather than make a profit - they work out about £2 each - and Ive given half a dozen so far to my parish.

I've had such trouble finding a mantilla in the UK, even online, that I'm thinking of making one. I've got a scarf that I'm using as the pattern and I've been spying in the fabric store to see what lace to use.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1324975463' post='2358039']
Ive made a number recently and gone for the 'rounded triangle' shape. They have been larger than you tend to see (at least over here where they are not particularly common) at 45" wide and 20" deep. They are only a cheapish lace, mainly because my priority was to make them available rather than make a profit - they work out about £2 each - and Ive given half a dozen so far to my parish.
[/quote]

That's so razzle dazzle. I'd love to make veils but I don't have much time at the moment. Plus I'd then have a load of veils and nothing to do with them!

(Why on earth does "c-o-o-l" keep changing to "razzle dazzle"?)

Edited by EmilyAnn

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1325095193' post='2358603']
I've had such trouble finding a mantilla in the UK, even online, that I'm thinking of making one. I've got a scarf that I'm using as the pattern and I've been spying in the fabric store to see what lace to use.

That's so razzle dazzle. I'd love to make veils but I don't have much time at the moment. Plus I'd then have a load of veils and nothing to do with them!

[/quote]

I'll send you one of you like?

MissScripture

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1325095193' post='2358603']

[/quote]
dUSt likes to philter random words like "co.ol" and "chee.se" and "pa.nts."

LaPetiteSoeur

Ravelry has a ton of chapel veil patterns! It's free to join and there are other knitting/crocheting patterns for everything (and I mean everything) there as well. Many patterns are completely free! If you join and need friends, I'm there as "Laboure"

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1325102351' post='2358660']
dUSt likes to philter random words like "co.ol" and "chee.se" and "pa.nts."
[/quote]

Hmm. So "c.o.o.l" becomes "razzle dazzle", "c.h.e.e.s.e" becomes "coagulated milk" and "p.a.n.t.s" becomes "pantaloons".
Weird.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1325097218' post='2358619']
I'll send you one of you like?
[/quote]

Oh that's really sweet of you, thank you so much.
I'll pay you back any postage costs.