An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Franciscan Community For Men

MithLuin

My link to their website seems broken, so here's the correct one: [url="http://franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Home_1.html"]http://franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Home_1.html[/url]

While I was in Madrid for World Youth Day, I saw Fr. David and his brothers in this community (though I of course forgot the name and was like, 'Aren't you "Little Brothers" or something?') They were in Retiro Park, which is a quite large park in downtown Madrid where WYD set up confession (in different languages) and a vocations fair. My sister and I only spoke with them briefly and I don't have any pictures, but it was good to see them there. :) We also passed them briefly at the airport, so I wished them safe travels. I know it's against the rules for the brothers to carry money, so it's a good thing airline tickets just require ID not a credit card ;).

Very jealous of you living so nearby them, [b]JTheresa[/b], in a very happy smiling way :).

Edited by MithLuin

:woot: :w00t: :like3: :woot: :w00t: :like3: :woot: :w00t: :like3: :woot: :w00t: :like3: :woot: :w00t: :like3: :dance5:
Sorry, this is my favorite (men's) community ever! :blush:

Also, JT is now Sr. Lucia in my part of the diocese! We're a couple hours away from the brothers :( Edited by Pax_et bonum

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1316038420' post='2304743']
:woot: :w00t: :like3: :woot: :w00t: :like3: :woot: :w00t: :like3: :woot: :w00t: :like3: :woot: :w00t: :like3: :dance5:
Sorry, this is my favorite (men's) community ever! :blush:

Also, JT is now Sr. Lucia in my part of the diocese! We're a couple hours away from the brothers :(
[/quote]

That's amesome that Sr. M. Lucia is in your area! :)

Chiara Francesco

Here are more sites on the Franciscan Sisters Minor: http://www.todayscatholicnews.org/2010/10/franciscan-sisters-minor-welcomed-to-diocese/

and

http://www.todayscatholicnews.org/2011/01/franciscan-sisters-minor-live-life-of-prayer-and-service/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Charles

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Can I please have the address of the Brothers or their email.[/i][/b][/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]I wrote to Father, but he never answered.[/i][/b][/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Father, I hopw you can answer my l etter of last week[/i][/b][/font]

Father David Mary does not read this forum! :lol: I started this thread because I like Franciscans, not because I have any connection with this order.

Here is the e-mail address for the brothers: Franciscanbrothersminor@hotmail.com

They do not have computers, but whoever is in charge of checking this e-mail address will print out a copy and deliver it to them. Because of this, you should not expect an instantaneous reply.

If you'd like to mail them a letter, you may use this address:

Franciscan Brothers Minor
Our Lady of the Angels Friary
2610 New Haven Ave.
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46803

This information is all available on their website: [url="http://franciscanbrothersminor.com/"]http://franciscanbrothersminor.com/[/url]

[quote name='Charles' timestamp='1318526588' post='2320680']
[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Can I please have the address of the Brothers or their email.[/i][/b][/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]I wrote to Father, but he never answered.[/i][/b][/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Father, I hopw you can answer my l etter of last week[/i][/b][/font]
[/quote]
Welcome to phatmass! :wave: I'm so excited to see someone interested in the brothers; they are an a.wesome group of holy men (who often act like little boys)! Like ML said, they don't use any technology, but someone will print off your email for the brothers. It takes a little longer because it has to go through a couple people. Prayers as you discern your vocation :pray:

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1310794152' post='2268121']
Fr. David Mary (Franciscan Brothers Minor) got a hold of my friend's camera. The result:

[img]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268860_10150236939462362_527837361_7183381_5391244_n.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Little Flower

went to Mass there this morning! Fr. David Mary gave a great homily as usual! And then went there for a holy hour for the feast of Our Lady of Fatima this evening! And Fr. gave an amazing homily! And I :love: receiving at a communion rail :love: its so [i]reverent[/i]! and Mass said ad orientum :)

plus i got officially enrolled in the scapular! I've been wearing one for at least a couple of years but I don't think I was ever actually invested!

Little Flower

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1316038420' post='2304743']
We're a couple hours away from the brothers :(
[/quote]

IN YOUR FACE!

jk :)

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1318562624' post='2320982']

IN YOUR FACE!

jk :)
[/quote]
:cry:
I really need to get down there some time.

I get to see the brothers this coming Sunday at Faithfest!!! :dance2: And I'm riding down with the SSFPA!
Little Flower, you going?

• 2 months later...
PhuturePriest

I love how these guys will take you no matter your age, and even if you don't have a high school diploma. I plan to get my high school diploma in case I'm called to the Diocesan Priesthood, but it's great to know that this group of Franciscans go back to the very roots and beliefs of Saint Francis himself. I'm a firm believer that when Jesus chose his Disciples, they were not well educated, and this did not stop him. The only one that was educated was a tax collector, and his name was Judas. Indeed, being smart and knowledgeable is a good thing, but to send people away because they don't have a high school diploma, even when they are extremely smart, is a sad occurence. God bless this Community of Franciscans that stand for what Saint Francis stood for.

Edited by FuturePriest387

PhuturePriest

I was reading Father's letter on age discrimination, and after reading it all I could think was "My people!" I have [i]always [/i]thought these things, especially when it comes to schooling! I have been somewhat disregarded because of my age, and I'm so happy that a good Franciscan Priest is willing to fight for us! My argument has always been Saint Therese of Lisiuex and Saint Padre Pio, who both entered Religious life at the age of fifteen. People always say "But those were different times". Hogwash! Saint Therese had to fight to get into the Carmelites with all she had, even going to the Pope and asking him permission! She fought her way into Mount Carmel, and I will stand up for both young and late Vocations. I've been told that I should "live life first", before considering it as much as I am. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! This "life" in which they speak of is that of sin, temptation, and the Devil constantly telling you to forget about Religious life. The Religious life is the way everyone should live. I don't mean everyone should go and enter Mount Carmel today, but that the life of prayer, of receiving the Sacraments, of being humble and generous, and of depending on God (Not the Government) is what Jesus calls for all of us.

The age discrimination for me has been terrible at times. I even had one person tell me that the person doesn't want an inexperienced twenty-five year old Priest taking care of a Parish, and that they rather have a thirty-year old Priest. I've been told to calm down with my zeal for this for so long that I began to think this was way of thinking was right! I'm so glad that Father gave me back my senses!

Whew... I've been wanting to say that without risk of being yelled at for a long time. :P

But I do have one question: It says they don't have any academic requirements to join. What if you want to be a Priest? Do they take Priests into their Community? I assume they do, since they hold the Rule and the life of Francis so dear.

Edited by FuturePriest387