An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Losing Sleep Over Sspx Talks?

Skinzo

[quote name='Formosus' date='11 May 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1273631332' post='2109154']
Well technically an Ecumenical Council didn't make a mistake, since the Council of Florence was just a general council of the west. :smokey:
[/quote]

A general council of the West attended by a huge number of Eastern bishops and whose main purpose was reunion of the Eastern churches with the Catholic Church?

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

Edited by Resurrexi

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='11 May 2010 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1273632628' post='2109174']whose main purpose was reunion of the Eastern churches with the Catholic Church?
[/quote]
Glad to see that worked out, then. :mellow:

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='11 May 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1273633066' post='2109179']
Glad to see that worked out, then. :mellow:
[/quote]

They Eastern churches failed to hold up their end of the deal and returned to schism briefly after the close of the council.

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='07 May 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1273282334' post='2106573']
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/05/sspx-superior-bp-fellay-and-his-defense-of-pope-benedict/#comments This helps with perspective too.
[/quote]

I didn't know SSPXers were Fatima Crusaders.

From an Orthodox Christian point of view, the Council of Florence, it's proceedings and its results were completely political and a farce. Orthodox Christians see St. Mark of Ephesus as the only true voice at the council.

Edited by Oik

[quote name='Oik' date='11 May 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1273636781' post='2109213']
From an Orthodox Christian point of view, the Council of Florence, it's proceedings and its results were completely political and a farce. Orthodox Christians see St. Mark of Ephesus as the only true voice at the council.
[/quote]

In case you hadn't noticed, the first seven ecumenical councils were very political, too. The fact that a council is political does not take away its authority.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='11 May 2010 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1273637110' post='2109218']
In case you hadn't noticed, the first seven ecumenical councils were very political, too. The fact that a council is political does not take away its authority.
[/quote]
That's true. However, Orthodox Christians do not see the seven ecumenical councils as farce. :topsy:

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='11 May 2010 - 11:50 PM' timestamp='1273632628' post='2109174']
A general council of the West attended by a huge number of Eastern bishops and whose main purpose was reunion of the Eastern churches with the Catholic Church?

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Even the Pope presiding over this council realized he had accomplished nothing in regard to East-West relations. Either way, you are suggesting that an Ecumenical Council can be fallible on matters not concerning discipline. That is a pretty serious charge. So the Pope then is the ultimate arbiter of Christian Truth even at the expense of an Ecumenical Council that is accepted as such by all his successors? I suppose I shouldn't be shocked since this is essentially what the West did to the actual Fourth Council of Constantinople. Anyways, I am sure the SSPX would be pleased with this outlook since that allows for them to ignore Vatican II.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Pluie' date='11 May 2010 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1273634532' post='2109193']
My 'Documents of V2' prof said today that the talks with SSPX are not going well at all.
[/quote]
I'm not surprised, but very very sad to hear it.

Seems to me that no news is bad news, because if it was going well I think everyone would be excited to talk about it.

I have high hopes though. That's why I'm so disappointed at hearing this.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 May 2010 - 08:39 AM' timestamp='1273646387' post='2109253']
I'm not surprised, but very very sad to hear it.

Seems to me that no news is bad news, because if it was going well I think everyone would be excited to talk about it.

I have high hopes though. That's why I'm so disappointed at hearing this.
[/quote]

Superbia is a though sin to overcome. It will take alot of humility from the PX Society to restore them into full communion with the Holy See. It's impossible to do this if they will not submit to the Sacred Council.

militantsparrow

[quote name='Oik' date='12 May 2010 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1273637296' post='2109219']
That's true. However, Orthodox Christians do not see the seven ecumenical councils as farce. :topsy:
[/quote]

Neither do Catholics. :))