kafka Posted June 22, 2010 Posted June 22, 2010 Torres is fun to watch. Nigeria missed so many chances today against S. Korea. They could have easily won 5, 6, 7 to 2. Big game for the U.S. tommorrow. If I get the chance to see it, will definitely be holding my breath.
ortus Posted June 22, 2010 Posted June 22, 2010 I was reading some French newspapers earlier and I would most definitely not like to be one of their team returning to France tomorrow. The papers I read were calling them every vitriolic thing you would imagine considering the way the team behaved and then they are adding in an extra dollop of national soul searching ('traitors to the Republic'; 'symptomatic of the decadent rot of modern day France'; etc.; etc.). I guess you know the old saying: Football is not a matter of life and death ... it is much more important. Tomorrow is of course the big day for the USA and England. They both have to win in order to go on to the last 16. I am watching the tournament from the UK and so there is quite a build up - England flags hanging from windows everywhere you go and the matches being followed constantly on the TV and news. I am going to be back in the US for the later stages and I have a feeling it will be hard to find the same enthusiasm even if the USA go through tomorrow.
kafka Posted June 22, 2010 Posted June 22, 2010 Hopefully both the U.S. and England will win tommorrow. That would be perfect.
melporcristo Posted June 23, 2010 Posted June 23, 2010 +JMJT+ both of my teams are on their way out - Mexico AND Honduras. Mexico has to go up against Argentina Boo that.
XIX Posted June 23, 2010 Posted June 23, 2010 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='21 June 2010 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1277154119' post='2132384'] It would be pretty awesomesausage if an African country won it, or eastern Europe, Japan, Orange Crush..... I have no idea who it will actually be. Probably...... Brazil. [/quote] Netherlands or Spain would be new. So would Portugal. Argentina has only won once. Everyone else has either won it a few times, or would be a massive upset if they were to take it.
ortus Posted June 23, 2010 Posted June 23, 2010 [quote name='kafka' date='23 June 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1277247977' post='2133004'] Hopefully both the U.S. and England will win tommorrow. That would be perfect. [/quote] You certainly got your wish!
kafka Posted June 23, 2010 Posted June 23, 2010 [quote name='ortus' date='23 June 2010 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1277309366' post='2133237'] You certainly got your wish! [/quote] indeed. From what I saw in the highlights both played wonderful. Looks like Dempsey had a good game. So this is good. The U.S. is showing verve under pressure. Ghana will not be easy. I think they beat us at the 2006 World Cup. Plus Germany won! Great day. What was it like in England? What did you think of the games?
Era Might Posted June 23, 2010 Author Posted June 23, 2010 (edited) [quote name='kafka' date='23 June 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1277330340' post='2133351']Ghana will not be easy.[/quote] The USA is ranked #14. Ghana is ranked #32. I think it will be a major failure if the USA does not make it to the quarterfinals. And if England defeats Germany, the USA has already shown that they can play with England. The USA has a real chance to make it to the final four...and who knows what can happen after that. Edited June 23, 2010 by Era Might
kafka Posted June 23, 2010 Posted June 23, 2010 I know the U.S. will be ready to play, but Ghana is a quality team plus we are playing on their continent. So it should be a great match.
Hilde Posted June 23, 2010 Posted June 23, 2010 (edited) Oooooops Europe Edited June 23, 2010 by Hilde
ortus Posted June 23, 2010 Posted June 23, 2010 [quote name='kafka' date='23 June 2010 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1277330340' post='2133351'] indeed. From what I saw in the highlights both played wonderful. Looks like Dempsey had a good game. So this is good. The U.S. is showing verve under pressure. Ghana will not be easy. I think they beat us at the 2006 World Cup. Plus Germany won! Great day. What was it like in England? What did you think of the games? [/quote] Today in London was amazing. There was a rush hour from 1pm as people went home to watch the game and lots of workplaces basically shut down for two hours in the afternoon. The game started here at 3pm and it seemed like every pub in Central London was jam-packed by 1.30 - the noise when England scored was deafening! I really enjoyed the England game but mostly because of the atmosphere around me if I am being honest. The England team is made up of extremely well paid Premier Division players and in theory they should have won every game in the group by a huge margin. As it is they left it all to the last game and managed to scrape one goal. The media here has been full of the morale problems and divisions in the England camp - nowhere near on the scale of France but still significant. It does not auger well for the rest of the tournament. It was almost impossible to see the US game live here (or at least it was where I was watching) but I have seen the highlights since. Excellent news but I do not think that their next game against Ghana will be at all easy. As Ghana are the only African team left - they are going to have the whole of the continent behind them.
goldenchild17 Posted June 23, 2010 Posted June 23, 2010 (edited) U.S. should've got at least 3 goals (not including the one Dempsey was robbed of). They won't go very far if they don't capitalize on their opportunities from here on out. Of course it would help if they have an official that didn't have it out for them. Edited June 23, 2010 by goldenchild17
-L- Posted June 24, 2010 Posted June 24, 2010 [quote name='goldenchild17' date='23 June 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1277336086' post='2133411'] U.S. should've got at least 3 goals (not including the one Dempsey was robbed of). They won't go very far if they don't capitalize on their opportunities from here on out. Of course it would help if they have an official that didn't have it out for them. [/quote] I get really paranoid that some officials have it in for the US because they do not like our policies or just don't like us in general Im still scratching my head with that disallowed goal against slovenia, but I find the disallowed dempsey goal vs algeria understandable at least considering the angle the tv presented made it look as if he was off sides.
aalpha1989 Posted June 24, 2010 Posted June 24, 2010 (edited) Best moment of the tournament so far- "Goal! Goal! USA certainly through!" Got the quote wrong the first time... That moment will forever be remembered in USA soccer. Edited June 24, 2010 by aalpha1989
Tony Posted June 24, 2010 Posted June 24, 2010 USA won't have to play any of the big powerhouses until at least the semis. If they beat Ghana, they play the winner of South Korea/Uruguay. One match at a time though
dominicansoul Posted June 26, 2010 Posted June 26, 2010 [quote name='aalpha1989' date='24 June 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1277362010' post='2133580'] Best moment of the tournament so far- "Goal! Goal! USA certainly through!" Got the quote wrong the first time... That moment will forever be remembered in USA soccer. [/quote] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w[/media]
kafka Posted June 26, 2010 Posted June 26, 2010 tough, tough loss. That one hurt. I knew Gyan would be trouble.
XIX Posted June 26, 2010 Posted June 26, 2010 [quote name='Era Might' date='23 June 2010 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1277331604' post='2133363'] The USA is ranked #14. Ghana is ranked #32. I think it will be a major failure if the USA does not make it to the quarterfinals. And if England defeats Germany, the USA has already shown that they can play with England. The USA has a real chance to make it to the final four...and who knows what can happen after that. [/quote] There is not a big gap in talents between 14 and 32. USA and Ghana were almost dead even with the oddsmakers, probably because Ghana was playing on its home continent.
kafka Posted June 26, 2010 Posted June 26, 2010 (edited) U.S. played wonderful in the second half. Too bad they couldnt get another one in. Ghana played a little dirty in the second half. Other than that they also played good. Just those two break downs cost the game. That Gyan is fast and strong. Oh well. The Germany-England match should be pretty sweet. Edited June 26, 2010 by kafka
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now