An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Call Mary?

laetitia crucis

Rebecca2009

I want to come back and read all of this when I am not rushed! What a beautiful 'topic!'
Mater, I LOVE your picture in your avatar....wow...breathtaking.

In the past couple of weeks, Mary's title "Immaculate" just takes my breath away. SO beautiful.

Edited by Rebecca2009

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MissyP89' date='17 May 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1274138350' post='2112279']
Mama. :) I figure if it's good enough for the one who birthed me, why not use it for the one who watches out for me in Heaven?
[/quote]

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='21 May 2010 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1274479521' post='2114871']
Mom...I call her Mom...
[/quote]

I love this. ^

I have wanted to call Our Lady "Mom" or "Mama"... I think I'm just on the verge of that "next step", so to say.

In the early stages of our relationship, I called her "Mary".

Now it's "Sweet Mother" or "Mother"... and well, I've always loved "Mother" as a "name/title"... it always seemed to encompass [i]so[/i] much within itself. Before I discerned a vocation to the religious life, when I thought of the possibility of one day having a family... I always thought I'd want my children to call me [i]Mother[/i] instead of "Mom" or "Mama". There's something so... [i]beautiful[/i] and all-encompassing about that "name" to me. I guess it's the way I see Our Lady in the vocation of "Mother" and how she exemplifies it, you know?... I don't really know how else to describe it.

However, I do call my own biological mother "Mama" and "Mom". I think I would very much like to call my heavenly Mother that as well.

I think in time, it will happen. :love:

Wow.... that was a beautiful article! I don't know if I could focus in on just one title for Mary. There are so many that give me comfort and joy - & so many images that bring me peace when I look at them. This is something I'll have to pray about.

I do like St. Gertrude's beautiful title for her: White Lily of the Trinity and Vermilion Rose of Heaven.

[quote]The following day, as Gertrude prayed, the Mother of God appeared to her, in the presence of the ever - adorable Trinity, under the form of a white lily, with three leaves, one standing erect, and the other two bent down. By this she understood that it was not without reason that the Blessed Mother of God was called white lily of the Trinity, since She contained in herself, with more plenitude and perfection than any other creature, the virtues of the Most Holy Trinity, which she had never sullied by the slightest stain of sin. The upright leaf of the lily represented the omnipotence of God the Father, and the two leaves which bent down, the wisdom and love of the Son and the Holy Spirit, to which the Virgin approaches so nearly. Then the Blessed Virgin made known to her that if anyone salutes Her devoutly as the white lily of the Trinity and vermilion rose of Heaven, She will show how She prevails by the omnipotence of the Father, how skillful She is in procuring the salvation of men by the wisdom of the Son, and with what exceeding love her heart is filled by the charity of the Holy Ghost. The Blessed Virgin added these words: "I will appear at the hour of death to those who salute me thus in such glory, that they will anticipate the very joys of Heaven." From this time the Saint frequently saluted the Holy Virgin or her images with these words:

"Hail white lily of the ever peaceful and glorious Trinity! Hail, effulgent rose, the delight of Heaven, of whom the King of Heaven was born and by whose milk He was nourished! Do thou feed our souls by the effusions of thy Divine influences."

-[i]The Revelations of St. Gertrude the Great[/i][/quote]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Rebecca2009' date='21 May 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1274483329' post='2114906']
I want to come back and read all of this when I am not rushed! What a beautiful 'topic!'
Mater, I LOVE your picture in your avatar....wow...breathtaking.

In the past couple of weeks, Mary's title "Immaculate" just takes my breath away. SO beautiful.
[/quote]

Thank you. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I always say Blessed Virgin. I like all the other titles, but that one seems the most 'regal' to me I guess. I think the idea of her having a simple title makes her greatness seem even greater--because though I know she is the Queen of Heaven etc, a simple designation emphasizes her humility even more. It's like 'ironic understatement', LOL! But I say Mary too, or Mother Mary.

TeresaBenedicta

I only [i]just[/i] looked at this thread!

When I pray to Mary, I usually address her as "Mary", "Mother Mary", or "Immaculata". As for titles of Mary that are close to my heart: Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Mary, Cause of our Joy and Mary, Seat of Wisdom.