Laudate_Dominum Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 I will marry whoever gets this one. [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/super_ancient_script.gif[/IMG] If you must have a clue: [spoiler] The civilization that used this script died more than 200,000 years ago. [/spoiler]
Laudate_Dominum Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='18 May 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1274208803' post='2112915'] Oh wow, pwnage. Okay, what language are these inscriptions? [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/artifact.jpg[/IMG] [/quote] There is still major cheezburger waiting for the person who solves this enigma. Here is something else with the language on it. [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/artifact2.jpg[/IMG] And if a further clue is required: [spoiler] [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/the_script.jpg[/IMG] [/spoiler]
laetitia crucis Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 May 2010 - 07:12 AM' timestamp='1274267556' post='2113526'] AWESOME! My sister-in-law taught Elvish in the Tolkien society so I'm sure she would know these ones. I just recognize the writing as being from Tolkien but couldn't guess on the specifics. Some kind of Elvish? lawl. That's a Frodo quote. [/quote] The first one is Tolkien's translation of the Our Father in Sindarin, and the second is the Hail Mary in Quenya. So beautiful... I'd totally want to learn both Sindarin and Quenya. Hahahaha! Entish might be a bit too much for me. I think I'd get frustrated by the length of words. However, if we're talking "normal" languages to be fluent in, here's my top five: 1. Latin 2. Italian 3. Welsh 4. Korean (I've forgotten a lot since my childhood. :shame: ) 5. Spanish I tend to go for beautiful sounding languages, or languages where speaking it just feels good rolling of one's tongue. However, I do not find Spanish to sound all that beautiful ( Sorry. ) but find it to be quite useful. I'm somewhat functional in Spanish, though definitely not fluent. And I can comprehend a lot of Latin and Italian, but yeah... definitely not fluent. Anyhooo -- if God wills me to enter a certain convent, perhaps I'll be learning a bit of French, German, and Igbo next year. That would be awesome! To say the least, I am AMAZED at your knowledge of languages, L_D! Very cool.
laetitia crucis Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 May 2010 - 07:40 AM' timestamp='1274269240' post='2113533'] I will marry whoever gets this one. [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/super_ancient_script.gif[/IMG] If you must have a clue: [spoiler] The civilization that used this script died more than 200,000 years ago. [/spoiler] [/quote] Mayan?? I have NO idea. [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 May 2010 - 07:43 AM' timestamp='1274269399' post='2113534'] There is still major cheezburger waiting for the person who solves this enigma. Here is something else with the language on it. [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/artifact2.jpg[/IMG] And if a further clue is required: [spoiler] [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/the_script.jpg[/IMG] [/spoiler] [/quote] I think this has to be one of the most beautiful scripts I've ever seen. I have no idea what it is though.... my first thought would be something from ancient India-area. I am a total dunce when it comes to these things. Hahahaa!
Laudate_Dominum Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 May 2010 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1274272562' post='2113547'] However, if we're talking "normal" languages to be fluent in, here's my top five: 1. Latin 2. Italian 3. Welsh 4. Korean (I've forgotten a lot since my childhood. :shame: ) 5. Spanish I tend to go for beautiful sounding languages, or languages where speaking it just feels good rolling of one's tongue. [/quote] Awesome. I feel the same way about the sound of a language. This thread is making me sad in a way because I used to actually find time to study language on a regular basis. Jobs are so lame. But wait, I used to find time even while working full-time. Let us weep... My Latin has suffered terribly and there is no excuse since I'm Roman Catholic and I often pray in Latin and assist at the EF Mass. I think it would be neat to do like a survey of linguistics to gain a general familiarity with the major language families of the world and alphabets. I think this would be a neat course for high schools. A game like this thread might be fun for kids too.
Laudate_Dominum Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 May 2010 - 08:42 AM' timestamp='1274272962' post='2113549'] Mayan?? I have NO idea. I think this has to be one of the most beautiful scripts I've ever seen. I have no idea what it is though.... my first thought would be something from ancient India-area. I am a total dunce when it comes to these things. Hahahaa! [/quote] I'm being something of a tricksy hobbit with these. perhaps more tricksy than your Tolkien languages. I'll expound upon the clue to the first one by saying that a two hundred thousand year old civilization with written language cannot be of this world.
laetitia crucis Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 May 2010 - 08:52 AM' timestamp='1274273572' post='2113554'] Awesome. I feel the same way about the sound of a language. This thread is making me sad in a way because I used to actually find time to study language on a regular basis. Jobs are so lame. But wait, I used to find time even while working full-time. Let us weep... My Latin has suffered terribly and there is no excuse since I'm Roman Catholic and I often pray in Latin and assist at the EF Mass. [b]I think it would be neat to do like a survey of linguistics to gain a general familiarity with the major language families of the world and alphabets. I think this would be a neat course for high schools. A game like this thread might be fun for kids too.[/b] [/quote] I weep. Methinks I need to find time to study language on a regular basis. Since leaving the convent, my Spanish has gone WAY downhill... oh the shame. Okay. I resolve myself to find time to study! And I think the bolded bit would be an AWESOME course! [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 May 2010 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1274273753' post='2113555'] I'm being something of a tricksy hobbit with these. perhaps more tricksy than your Tolkien languages. I'll expound upon the clue to the first one by saying that a two hundred thousand year old civilization with written language cannot be of this world. [/quote] Could it be... Klingon and Vulcan???
Hassan Posted May 19, 2010 Author Posted May 19, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 May 2010 - 07:06 AM' timestamp='1274267214' post='2113522'] Thanks for killing my lucky streak. Old Church Slavonic. Joseph, Bethlehem...[/quote] lol, yep. I had a friend who spoke ocs actually [quote] I was going to say that I have no idea but it looks familiar and I believe I could select the right answer if this were multiple choice, however, as I type this I can see the image URL inside the quote box and the filename says georgian.gif. Still, you pwned me with that one. My lucky streak is fast coming to an end.[/quote] YES! Lol, yeah Georgian. I actually watcher an avant gard Georgian film once. Really trippy [quote] Bah. I won't even try. There are so many languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet that I know nothing about. Molvanian? jk. pwned again. [/quote] Bahaha! not even the right language family it's Chechen. I was going to be really and find some Chechen in the old Arabic script but I couldn't find anything. I think the soviets got rid of most of it Edited May 19, 2010 by Hassan
T-Bone _ Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [IMG]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/TJFox1977/langa.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/TJFox1977/langb.gif[/IMG]
laetitia crucis Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='Selah' date='19 May 2010 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1274317377' post='2113881'] 今夜はこの時間をスリープ。睡眠は浅い眠りこの時間今夜の中を歩く。睡眠は光の中を歩く [/quote] Heeey, Kanji and Hiragana, yes?
T-Bone _ Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 May 2010 - 05:40 AM' timestamp='1274269240' post='2113533'] I will marry whoever gets this one. [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/super_ancient_script.gif[/IMG] If you must have a clue: [spoiler] The civilization that used this script died more than 200,000 years ago. [/spoiler] [/quote] Jedi?
Laudate_Dominum Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='Selah' date='19 May 2010 - 10:13 PM' timestamp='1274321593' post='2113930'] Ju duhet të dini se unë nuk flas shqip [/quote] I can't not confess my familiarity with shqip. This came up on tinychat one time. I'm hardly fluent but I can read that sentence without a problem.
Laudate_Dominum Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='T-Bone _' date='19 May 2010 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1274320786' post='2113924'] Jedi? [/quote] You deserve to win just for that radical awesomeness of that guess. Your guess is cooler than the real answer. You win. It was Iconian script which is the language of a fictional ancient civilization referenced in a few episodes of Star Trek (TNG and DS9). There are probably very few people on this planet who would have known.
Laudate_Dominum Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='T-Bone _' date='19 May 2010 - 10:14 PM' timestamp='1274321683' post='2113931'] Still no guesses on mine? The quote is rather easy. [/quote] The language represented by those pictographs is a mystery to me. I'm out.
Vincent Vega Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 The language is clearly some form of semaphore, but the quote, I got nothing.
SaintOfVirtue Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='Hassan' date='17 May 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1274154017' post='2112503'] سوف أحمل حبل يرجى أن يكون الهدوء [/quote] what's the rope for?
SaintOfVirtue Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='19 May 2010 - 04:40 AM' timestamp='1274269240' post='2113533'] I will marry whoever gets this one. [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/super_ancient_script.gif[/IMG] If you must have a clue: [spoiler] The civilization that used this script died more than 200,000 years ago. [/spoiler] [/quote] You're not marrying me, but I'm guessing: Klingon?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now