An Old School Catholic Message Board

Investiture

DameAgnes

AccountDeleted

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='25 May 2010 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1274745066' post='2116799']
For me personally, I much prefer the reception of the habit at the beginning of the novitiate!

But I think, perhaps, the communities which delay it are trying to make a silent statement on the gravity of the religious habit. The habit, as I'm sure all of you know, is much, much more than just the clothing of a religious, so I think maybe they delay it in order to convey a more tangible "sacredness" to the habit.

BUT... in my opinion, I'd much rather receive the habit when I receive my religious name! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

Speaking of that, another interesting thing I don't see in many communities is something I noticed with the Children of Mary (the new, semi-contemplative Sisters in Columbus, OH) is that they receive their religious name with their First Profession, not with their reception of the habit (or start of novitiate) as most religious communities I've known do. I wonder why?
[/quote]

Now that's another interesting topic - the religious name. I am so used to the Carmelite way that I forget that others do it differently sometimes. In the Carmels I entered, the religious name was given upon entrance so that the sisters could all start referring to the new 'sister' by this name. So when I entered Carmel the first time, I was given the name Sr Teresa of Jesus. When I was clothed, I asked the Prioress if I could change this to Sr Teresa of the Cross (I have always wanted 'of the Cross' in honor of St John of the Cross) but she wouldn't let me change it. All the Prioresses have refused me this title because they seem to be supertitious about it! One said that those who have this title have to endure too many crosses, another one told me that every sister who had been given this title had left! Excuse me??? Superstition in a convent? Anyway, the point is that the name is given (or requested) at entrance. I won't be given a new name for the live-in, but I do wonder if the postulant gets her religious name at entrance here - I will have to ask when I go there. In the last two Carmels, I was Sr Michael of Jesus and then Sr Michael-Maria of God.

As for the seriousness of taking the habit, yes, this is very true. I met with the priest the night before the clothing and he gave me quite a talk about this step and he was the one that said to me if I died after receiving the habit, I would be buried as a religious, and that the habit would be my shroud - it all sounded so delicious. Sigh. He was very upset when I left and although he wrote a reference for me recently, he did give me a lecture again, and even put his disappointment in the reference letter! I adore this priest - he is very holy, and he is right of course.

I love that there is so much variety in all of the different communities. In the movie, The Nun's Story, the build up to receiving the religious name was really great as each sister came up to find out what she was going to be called. I can see why some communities like to do it this way.

Actually, I would be saying 'me too' except for the fact that I am not entering as a postulant this time, I am simply going for a live-in visit for three months so I can't stay until I get the black veil!

Well I hope that the three months turns out well and leads to all your heart desires. If we never chat on here again it probably means I have found the same :) in the meantime I will try to keep VS well Carmel-ized :D

Lots of prayers for you and remember us as well!!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='vee8' date='25 May 2010 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1274757378' post='2117002']
Actually, I would be saying 'me too' except for the fact that I am not entering as a postulant this time, I am simply going for a live-in visit for three months so I can't stay until I get the black veil!

Well I hope that the three months turns out well and leads to all your heart desires. If we never chat on here again it probably means I have found the same [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] in the meantime I will try to keep VS well Carmel-ized [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

Lots of prayers for you and remember us as well!!
[/quote]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blowkiss.gif[/img]

brightsadness

[quote name='nunsense' date='24 May 2010 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1274744646' post='2116785']
Oh no, I am so offended and so hurt by you all - how can you be so cruel to me??? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/weep.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hijack.gif[/img]

I fullly acknowledge that my mistake was in leaving the first Carmel (two months after my clothing) but God knows why I did this and so do I now - it just took a little while to understand. The second one was beyond my control but out of charity for that community, I cannot explain that reason to anyone. As for the last one, I was happier and more content than I have ever been and would never have left; I wanted to be buried in their cemetery (and used to visit there all the time to pray with those sisters who had gone to God) but I was asked to leave because the Prioress felt I was 'too individual in my spirituality' (to this day I don't really know what she means), so I had no say in the matter and tried to see it as God's will (after I got over the 'feeling rejected by God' phase). I still love all these Carmels and stay in touch with them.

This community and I are going slowly because they know what I have been through before and they want to ensure the best possible outcome for all concerned, myself and the community. They are kind and charitable towards both me and my former Carmels. They are not where I thought I would end up, and I have had to let go of a lot of my preconceived ideas and prejudices, but this must be a good thing - and they are a message from God for me at this time, so we will see what happens.

I need lots of prayers to help me determine just what God's will is for me. The next three months will be like a retreat and I am very grateful to the community (who have considered me despite my being over their age limit) and to God for His mercy in allowing me to do this at this time. Whatever His will is, I will always give thanks for the many opportunities I have had to live the life of a Carmelite nun.

The variety of experiences I have had in each Carmel, and with the hermits and other active communities, has been amazing, and I am so impressed and the love and commitment of anyone who attempts to live this life for God. I am also fascinated by just how different each Carmel has been, despite their common charism and spirituality, and original history. Five hundred years certainly leaves room for differences.

Thanks to all of you for you love and support over the past three years. I leave very early tomorrow morning and will be in the outside flat for about a week before entering the enclosure. I don't have a return flight booked yet but we are looking at three months, so probably late August/early September. I will post an update after I get back. Praise God in all things and may He bless you all for your kindness.
[/quote]

I probably won't get to see your update but please remember that Postulant Anya will be praying for you and asks a share in your prayers.