Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='19 June 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1276974119' post='2131535']
How is that Joan of Arc biography (from a Catholic perspective, that is)? I might have that added to the list, plus considering the size of the package for crossing the line. :ninja:
[/quote]
I don't know if the author is Catholic or not, but from what I remember it's a very respectful biography.

I'm not sure how much your shipping will be, because the flat rate boxes are only for domestic shipments.

Vincent Vega
Posted (edited)

Sounds great. Let me know how much shipping will be, and we can PM each other for addresses (is cash alright to pay for shipping with?).

Edited by USAirwaysIHS
Posted (edited)

I have a few more books on the list:

Henry David Thoreau - "Walden and other Writings"

Jacques Ellul - "The Technological Society"

"The Basic Works of Aristotle"

Edited by Era Might
Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='16 June 2010 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1276694367' post='2129810']
Here is the updated list of the books that have been claimed so far:

[b]missio_redemptoris:[/b] "The Encyclicals of John Paul II" and "Guide to Thomas Aquinas"

[b]Resurrexi:[/b] "City of God," "On Christian Doctrine," "The Sixteen Documents of Vatican II," "Apologia Pro Vita Sua," "Orthodoxy," "Mere Christianity," "The Jungle," "The Rhine Flows Into the Tiber," and all of the Charles Dickens books

[b]Brother Adam:[/b] The Warren H. Carroll history series, "The Cambridge Companion to Plato," "The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle," and "Perpetual Peace and Other Essays"

[b]notardillacid:[/b] "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich," Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Selected Tales and Sketches," "The Iliad and the Odyssey," "The Autobiography of Malcolm X," "War and Peace" and "Anna Karenina," “Satyagraha in South Africa,” “The Moral and Political Writings of Mahatma Gandhi,” “The Writings of Gandhi,” “Non-Violent Resistance,” and “Gandhi on Non-Violence”

[b]the_rev:[/b] "Plato's Republic for Catholic Students," "Growth and Community," and "John of the Cross: Selected Writings"




Here is the updated list of available books (I added some textbooks):

Regine Pernoud - “Joan of Arc” (Biography)

George Weigel - “Witness to Hope” (Biography of Pope John Paul II)

Pope John Paul II - “The Theology of the Body”

Karol Wojtyla - “Love and Responsibility”

Joseph Ratzinger - “The Spirit of the Liturgy”

Bernard Lonergan - “The Lonergan Reader” (an introductory anthology of his work) and “Method in Theology”

Mother Angelica - “Answers, Not Promises’

Jacques Ellul - “Living Faith”

Lee Hoinacki - “El Camino: Walking to Santiago de Compostela”

Mortimer J. Adler - “Aristotle for Everybody”

Joseph Owens - “An Elementary Christian Metaphysics”

“The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Sixteenth Century and the early Seventeenth Century”

“The Norton Anthology of American Literature: 1865 to post-1945” (Three volumes)

“The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories” and “The Oxford Book of Caribbean Verse” (Two volumes)

Ovid - “Metamorphoses”

Geoffrey Chaucer - “The Canterbury Tales” (A modern English translation)

“Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays”

Miguel de Cervantes - “The Adventures of Don Quixote”

Nathaniel Hawthorne - “The Scarlet Letter”

Herman Melville - “Great Short Works of Herman Melville”

Edgar Allen Poe - “Complete Tales & Poems”

Charlotte Bronte - “Jane Eyre”

Jane Austen - “Pride and Prejudice” and “Sense and Sensibility”

Carl Van Vechten - “Ni**er Heaven” (A work of fiction from the Harlem Renaissance)

Nella Larsen - “Quicksand”

Henrik Ibsen - “A Doll’s House”

Tom Stoppard - “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”

T.S. Eliot - “Murder in the Cathedral”

Aime Cesaire - “Notebook of a Return to the Native Land”

“Poetry Like Bread” (An anthology of political poetry, mostly Latino poets)

“A Collection of Latina Poetry”

Nicanor Parra - “Antipoems”

William Bradford - “History of Plymouth Plantation” (Hardcover, antique edition)

David D. Hall (Editor) - “The Antinomian Controversy, 1636-1638: A Documentary History” (A collection of the primary documents from the controversy)

Marisa Anne Pagnattaro - “In Defiance of the Law: From Anne Hutchinson to Toni Morrison”

“Anne Hutchinson: Troubler of the Puritan Zone” (Collection of essays)

Amy Schrager Lang - “Prophetic Woman: Anne Hutchinson and the Problem of Dissent in the Literature of New England”

Jeffrey Gould - “To Lead as Equals: Rural Protest and Political Consciousness in Chinandega, Nicaragua 1912-1979”

Rigoberta Manchu - “I, Rigoberta Menchu: An Indian Woman in Guatemala”

Ernesto Cardenal - “In Cuba”

W.E.B. Dubois - “The Souls of Black Folk”

Frantz Fanon - “Black Skin, White Masks”

Czeslaw Milosz - “The Captive Mind” and “Beginning With My Streets”

George Dennison - “The Lives of Children”

Karl Polanyi - “The Great Transformation”

Gregory Baum - “Karl Polanyi on Ethics and Economics”

Leopold Kohr - “The Breakdown of Nations”

Julia Kristeva - “The Portable Kristeva” (Introductory anthology of her writings)

Julia Kristeva - “Revolution in Poetic Language” and “Powers of Horror”

Russell A. Potter - “Spectacular Vernaculars: Hip Hop and the Politics of Postmodernism”

“Gandhi: 1915-1948, A Detailed Chronology”

“Postmodern Gandhi and Other Essays”

Lloyd & Susanne Rudolph - “Gandhi: The Traditional Roots of Charisma”

Minoo Masani - “Bliss Was It In That Dawn” (Account of the movement for Indian independence from someone who was part of the movement)

Narayan Desai - “Gandhi: Through a Child’s Eyes”

Eugene V. Debs - “Walls & Bars”

Eric Gill - “Essays”

“The Letters of Sacco & Vanzetti”

Paulo Freire - “Pedagogy of the Oppressed”

Thomas Hauser - “Muhammad Ali” (Biography)

Ibrahim Abouleish - “Sekem: A Sustainable Community in the Egyptian Desert”

"Schaum's Outlines: Calculus" (Textbook)

"Geometry and Trigonometry for Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide"

"Practical Algebra: A Self-Teaching Guide"

"Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide"

"Chemistry: A Self-Teaching Guide"

"Essentials of Symbolic Logic"

"Master Math: Basic Math and Algebra" (Useful for brushing up on basic math)

"Wheelock's Latin" (6th Edition) (With a workbook)

"Basics of Biblical Hebrew" (With a workbook)

J.W. Wenham - "The Elements of New Testament Greek" with an additional book of "Syntax Lists" and with a CD
[/quote]

I think a picture of your closet is needed, it has to be a large walk-in type totally devoid of clothing if these are the throw aways.

ed

Brother Adam
Posted

Just waiting on shipping cost :)

Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='20 June 2010 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1277093074' post='2132049']
Just waiting on shipping cost :)
[/quote]

ditto

Posted

Uh-Huh!


I will make another Era tribute for my status update when I think of one.

Posted (edited)

I will send you each a personal message when I'm getting ready to ship the books. I'm going to try to start shipping today or tomorrow.

[quote name='Paddington' date='21 June 2010 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1277135287' post='2132200']
Uh-Huh!


I will make another Era tribute for my status update when I think of one.
[/quote]
One day I will write a book and I will send it to you for free. And I will write something witty on the first page and sign my name.

Edited by Era Might
Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='21 June 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1277137910' post='2132221']
I will send you each a personal message when I'm getting ready to ship the books. I'm going to try to start shipping today or tomorrow.


One day I will write a book and I will send it to you for free. And I will write something witty on the first page and sign my name.
[/quote]


Then I will make another status update tribute for you. :deal:

Posted (edited)

For those of you who have requested books, would you send me your address in a private message. I'm going to the post office in a few minutes, so if you're reading this now you might be able to catch me before you leave. I have Brother Adam's and the_rev's addresses, so I'll be sending those out today.

Edited by Era Might
Posted

Man I didn't open this thread for such a long time and it is probably a good thing.

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

just sent you a PM - sorry for not seeing this yesterday.

Posted

This is the last call for these books. I'm going to be moving out of state soon, so if you want any of the available books you have to let me know in the next couple of days.

Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='01 July 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1278014977' post='2136694']
This is the last call for these books. I'm going to be moving out of state soon, so if you want any of the available books you have to let me know in the next couple of days.
[/quote]

There's also a thread in the vocation station right now about donating books to this organization that gives books to poor seminarians. You could look into that too.

Posted

I'd be interested in the following:

Mother Angelica - “Answers, Not Promises’

Ovid - “Metamorphoses”

Geoffrey Chaucer - “The Canterbury Tales” (A modern English translation)

Herman Melville - “Great Short Works of Herman Melville”

Tom Stoppard - “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Posted

So, what's still available?

Posted

[quote name='penguin31' date='02 July 2010 - 05:00 AM' timestamp='1278061208' post='2136903']
I'd be interested in the following:

Mother Angelica - “Answers, Not Promises’

Ovid - “Metamorphoses”

Geoffrey Chaucer - “The Canterbury Tales” (A modern English translation)

Herman Melville - “Great Short Works of Herman Melville”

Tom Stoppard - “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
[/quote]
Send me a private message with your address and I'll send them out. You just need to pay postage.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Maria' date='02 July 2010 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1278101158' post='2137032']
So, what's still available?
[/quote]
Here is the updated list of available books:



Bernard Lonergan - “The Lonergan Reader” (an introductory anthology of his work) and “Method in Theology”

Jacques Ellul - “Living Faith” and "The Technological Society"

Lee Hoinacki - “El Camino: Walking to Santiago de Compostela”

“The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories” and “The Oxford Book of Caribbean Verse” (Two volumes)

Ovid - “Metamorphoses”

Geoffrey Chaucer - “The Canterbury Tales” (A modern English translation)

“Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays”

Herman Melville - “Great Short Works of Herman Melville”

Jane Austen - “Pride and Prejudice” and “Sense and Sensibility”

Carl Van Vechten - “Ni**er Heaven” (A work of fiction from the Harlem Renaissance)

Nella Larsen - “Quicksand”

Henrik Ibsen - “A Doll’s House”

Tom Stoppard - “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”

Aime Cesaire - “Notebook of a Return to the Native Land”

“Poetry Like Bread” (An anthology of political poetry, mostly Latino poets)

“A Collection of Latina Poetry”

Nicanor Parra - “Antipoems”

David D. Hall (Editor) - “The Antinomian Controversy, 1636-1638: A Documentary History” (A collection of the primary documents from the controversy)

Marisa Anne Pagnattaro - “In Defiance of the Law: From Anne Hutchinson to Toni Morrison”

“Anne Hutchinson: Troubler of the Puritan Zone” (Collection of essays)

Amy Schrager Lang - “Prophetic Woman: Anne Hutchinson and the Problem of Dissent in the Literature of New England”

Jeffrey Gould - “To Lead as Equals: Rural Protest and Political Consciousness in Chinandega, Nicaragua 1912-1979”

Rigoberta Manchu - “I, Rigoberta Menchu: An Indian Woman in Guatemala”

Ernesto Cardenal - “In Cuba”

Frantz Fanon - “Black Skin, White Masks”

Czeslaw Milosz - “The Captive Mind” and “Beginning With My Streets”

George Dennison - “The Lives of Children”

Karl Polanyi - “The Great Transformation”

Gregory Baum - “Karl Polanyi on Ethics and Economics”

Leopold Kohr - “The Breakdown of Nations”

Julia Kristeva - “The Portable Kristeva” (Introductory anthology of her writings)

Julia Kristeva - “Revolution in Poetic Language” and “Powers of Horror”

Russell A. Potter - “Spectacular Vernaculars: Hip Hop and the Politics of Postmodernism”

“Gandhi: 1915-1948, A Detailed Chronology”

“Postmodern Gandhi and Other Essays”

Lloyd & Susanne Rudolph - “Gandhi: The Traditional Roots of Charisma”

Narayan Desai - “Gandhi: Through a Child’s Eyes”

Eugene V. Debs - “Walls & Bars”

Eric Gill - “Essays”

“The Letters of Sacco & Vanzetti”

Paulo Freire - “Pedagogy of the Oppressed”

Thomas Hauser - “Muhammad Ali” (Biography)

Ibrahim Abouleish - “Sekem: A Sustainable Community in the Egyptian Desert”

"Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide"

"Chemistry: A Self-Teaching Guide"

"The Longman Guide to Peer Tutoring"

"Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama" (This is a large hardcover textbook)

Dorothy Day - "The Long Loneliness"

Lynn V. Foster - "A Brief History of Central America"

Gandhi - "An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth"

"On the Way with Don Orione" (This is a collection of letters from St. Luigi Orione)

James McNeish - "Fire Under the Ashes: The Life of Danilo Dolci"

Danilo Dolci - "For the Young"

Henry David Thoreau - "Walden and other Writings"

"The Basic Works of Aristotle"

Edited by Era Might

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...