An Old School Catholic Message Board

College And Religious Life

miserere

Does anyone have some thoughts on college and the religious life? Would you go to college before entering? (assuming a situation where you could graduate without debt) For people who are already at/have graduated college, would you do something differently if you had a "redo"? I'm curious, and there doesn't seem to have been a similar thread. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]

Well I began feeling an attraction to religious life while I was in college, my sophomore year and it has intensified since then. I feel I'm doing the right thing completing my bachelors because I just have my senior year left where I am going to be working on my thesis which is art and Theology and the Body which is relevant to my calling regardless or not I have a vocation to religious life. I did though drop my education minor because I wasn't feeling it so that knocked off half a year I would have had to do after my bachelor's. I feel I needed the time and need more time too because though I've been discerning with the Daughters of St. Paul for awhile now I recently came across an emerging community of sisters who are going to have a focus on evangelization through art (they haven't responded to my inquiry though) so if I end up entering with them I would need at least this year coming up to give them more time to establish themselves so I could be accepted.

I feel though if I got the call when I was in high school I wouldn't have put it off by going to college.

Edited by Shana

laetitia crucis

I think there are various perspectives to take on this one... :think:

For many, going away to college helps one mature more and really "find themselves". It's leaving home for the first time. It's dealing with homesickness. It teaches one how to manage their schedule and time better. It (hopefully) helps us on our way to becoming "grown ups", even though we often do many foolish things in college. :lol:

Also, there are some communities that actually require Sisters to have a four-year degree. (I believe the Sisters of Life are one of these communities... someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :sweat: )

However, I will say that most Sisters I know, when asked what you've just asked, would say that if they knew ([i]before[/i] going to college) that they had a vocation to the religious life.. they would [b]not[/b] have gone to college. "I wish I could have entered SOONER!!!"

Another Sister I know of knew without a doubt that she was called to religious life during high school. She chose not to go to college but spent a few years visiting various communities until she found hers. She's an awesome Sister.

I know it sounds really cliché to say, "Everybody is different," but I think it's absolutely true in terms of discernment. God knows what each soul needs before, when, and after He calls them. Some (like myself) need a longer time, others probably come out of the womb ready to enter the religious life. :hehehe:

Personally, I'm really thankful for my experiences in college. It's where I became Catholic and where I discerned my vocation. It's where I've made the most amazing friendships, had a great time earning my degree (music performance), and really grew into the person I am today. (Though I know I still have a [i]looooon[/i] way to go! :prop: )

I wouldn't "redo" anything. :smokey:

[quote name='miserere' date='21 June 2010 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1277140609' post='2132240']
Does anyone have some thoughts on college and the religious life? Would you go to college before entering? (assuming a situation where you could graduate without debt) For people who are already at/have graduated college, would you do something differently if you had a "redo"? I'm curious, and there doesn't seem to have been a similar thread. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]
[/quote]

This is definitely specific to the discerner.

In my previous community, if someone felt God was calling them to religious life[i] imminently,[/i] (key word here) but wanted to go to college for "something to fall back on" -- the Vocation Directress recommended taking the step toward religious life and trusting in God. Often people can miss their calling because they feel they "have to" go to college, if only because if religious life "didn't work out" they could do something else (a good-intentioned lack of trust, in my Vocation Directress' words), but they can either lose their vocation in college, or have so much debt left over that it impedes them from entering, and by the time they do enter, it will be much more difficult for them. This is if God is calling someone to enter before college.

But everyone is different.

Some people need the college experience, and are blessed with a family who pays for their education, or has someone who can pay off their debt. Or even despite that, God wants them to go to college first. God works things out amazingly -- it's all up to His Will!

I entered religious life after high school, after having been told by my parents and almost every single one of my teachers that I should go to college first. However, I felt like God was calling me THEN, at THAT moment, and that I would be "putting off" His Will if I had gone to college and waited. Looking back, I was very easily influenced at that age -- I believe if I had gone to college (it wouldn't have been one of the "Catholic colleges" since I could not have afforded it) I would have lost my vocation, or possibly even my soul. I truly felt like it was His Will for me to enter after high school, despite what others were telling me (and believe me, it was difficult to go against what they were saying! I had almost NO support of my vocation at that time!)

I ended up leaving religious life five years later - so I guess I fall into that "worst case scenario" situation for which many people decide to wait and enter religious life after college so they have something to fall back on. I didn't have anything to "fall back on" when I came out! But God worked everything out just fine, and I'm truly grateful for the way everything had turned out. I trusted in Him, and He rewarded it beyond my wildest imaginations! If I could go back, I wouldn't change a single thing.

Anyway, just my two cents. :)

Edited by CherieMadame

OnlySunshine

I'm actually discerning religious life with a nursing community right now, and I am not sure when God will call me to enter. I am planning to go back to school this fall to finish up my prerequisites so that I can apply for the registered nursing program and become an RN before my entry. Not that this is a requirement of the community, but I do not feel it is time yet. I'm a CNA and I LOVE LOVE LOVE nursing! It is my passion and my heart. :love: I'm waiting patiently for God's call to say, "I'm ready for you," but until that time, I plan to use my time wisely. The age limit of the prospective community is 50 so I guess I have until then (not that I want to wait that long, but whatever God wills!). :saint:

So it seems that the idea of going to college (particularly an authentically Catholic one) before entering a community to learn about great ideas (both ones that are "in line" with the Faith and those that aren't) and how they fit together, so to speak, is not something that seems to be terribly important. (again assuming the luxurious situation in which one can puruse ideas and have no debt) Do you think that is helpful to know those sorts of things, or at the very least it would make any "doubts-about-faith-panic-attack" easier? I suppose that in any community, Dominican or not, one would be allowed to read Thomas Aquinas. ;) I would also suspect that there is some theology being put into the novices' heads...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/getaclue.gif[/img] hehehe.

[quote name='miserere' date='22 June 2010 - 08:07 AM' timestamp='1277208444' post='2132707']
So it seems that the idea of going to college (particularly an authentically Catholic one) before entering a community to learn about great ideas (both ones that are "in line" with the Faith and those that aren't) and how they fit together, so to speak, is not something that seems to be terribly important. (again assuming the luxurious situation in which one can puruse ideas and have no debt) Do you think that is helpful to know those sorts of things, or at the very least it would make any "doubts-about-faith-panic-attack" easier? I suppose that in any community, Dominican or not, one would be allowed to read Thomas Aquinas. ;) I would also suspect that there is some theology being put into the novices' heads...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/getaclue.gif[/img] hehehe.
[/quote]

I honestly don't think any college education will make such doubts easier to withstand. God will always give you the grace to remain true to the Faith, particularly within a religious community. God willing, within a religious community you would have the guidance of a novice master/mistress, the grace of a structured prayer life, and the discipline of daily labor. Everything would be structured to your salvation and sanctification. Those aids are infinitely better than any aid you would receive in college. My community's superiors continue to remind me that it takes grace and will power to survive in a religious community. Any education you really need will be provided in the community.

Of course if your community desires that you receive a college degree before entering, then do that. :)

God bless,

Jonathan

[quote name='miserere' date='22 June 2010 - 08:07 AM' timestamp='1277208444' post='2132707']
[/quote]

Regarding the Faith, that is something you will always learn more about as a religious. Part of your formation is delving into the depths of Catholic doctrine: theology, philosophy, spirituality, etc. (depending on your community). If a community accepts applicants after high school, as alpha said, they will provide you with the education you will need, whether it be formal or informal. :)

I started discerning a lot halfway into my junior year of high school. By Christmas of my senior year, I knew I had a vocation, I just didn't know if I should enter a convent or go to a Catholic college. On one hand, if I went to college, I might loose the desire to enter religious life, regardless of what college I went to. At a public college I would have been swept up by bad friends and influences, at a really good Catholic college (such as Stubenville) I would have found an amazing Catholic guy and it would have been a lot harder for me to choose religious life because I have always had a string desire for a family. On the other hand, I definitely would be more mature and being so adjusted to being independent of family the transition into a convent might have been easier. I might have made it through college and still entered a convent, but this is me speculating.
But I was unsure if what I wanted to do in college, and figured that entering a religious order and developing my relationship with God might help me understand what He needs me to do and get a degree to match. It would definitely save some time (and money), but I would be a lot less mature than if I had waited and I will still be really attached to my family. Plus, I was planning on a degree in Theology, which you learn plenty of in the convent anyway.
So I started the application process for college and the convent at around the same time. I decided that if they said I was too young to enter the community I wanted, then I would go to college first. I applied, and they told me that they usually don't accept at 18 nowadays, but I was very mature for my age and right now was a perfect time for me to enter if I wanted to, but I had plenty of time to consider it. After I applied to the convent, I found out I had all but a couple thousand a year covered by financial aid for the Catholic college I had wanted to go to!! It was a tough choice, I still love that University, but I'm glad I chose the convent.

My advice to anyone is this situation would be to proceed in both directions; in both areas you can cancel an application. See which one God wants you to do, because ultimately He knows what is best in the long run.

And yes, the novices I know typically receive a lot of Theology during their two year novitiate, especially from our dear Saint Thomas. :love:
:book:

DominicanPhilosophy

As a rising senior in high school discerning religious life, props to miserere for starting the topic and many thanks to everyone who's replied - it's enlightening! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Right now, my classmates and I are being inundated by college mail, frustrated by writing college essays and going on visits, and overwhelmed by the big question: "So where are you going to college?"

Like JTheresa said, a sister I know (who entered after college, just fyi) recently told me that when she was in a similar situation, a wise priest gave her the simple but life-changing advice to "pursue both!" It really is one of those things that's so simple, it's often overlooked. I've been sweating the college process, but when I was reminded of this, I felt almost dumb. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif[/img] The more options we "give" God, the more trust we place in Him and the more room He has to work in our lives. It's kind of exciting (though still nerve-wracking on a human level!) because I know that a year from now, so many of these unknowns will have been revealed to me.

So again, as someone currently in this "College and Religious Life" position, I can attest to the fact that it's a difficult spot in which to be discerning, but I am thankful that a supportive community such as Phatmass exists. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img]

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' date='23 June 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1277266362' post='2133134']
So again, as someone currently in this "College and Religious Life" position, I can attest to the fact that it's a difficult spot in which to be discerning, but I am thankful that a supportive community such as Phatmass exists. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img]
[/quote]

It is definitely a difficult spot. I was planning on finishing college but my community actually told me they wanted me to enter as soon as possible, and they would prefer I didn't finish college. Since I knew that was where I wanted to be, I just had to trust. In the end we should just do whatever our community wants us to do, if we know we belong there.