Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader


Recommended Posts

SoonerCatholic
Posted

Knowing filmmakers and their love for being creative with the original source material, I don't have high hopes. But it would please me to no end if they did. I wonder if those who did not read the books would know what he meant.

Posted

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1289613644' post='2186799']
Knowing filmmakers and their love for being creative with the original source material, I don't have high hopes. But it would please me to no end if they did. I wonder if those who did not read the books would know what he meant.
[/quote]

I know, I'm not holding my breath for it, but it's such a beautiful moment in the series. I think it would go over the heads of some, but if they kept it the same as in the book I believe most people would get it.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

6:48 min. into [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0q7PpaFUrA&feature=related]this video[/url] you can see how the BBC handled that scene.

The children come upon a lamb, and Lucy asks it, 'Please, is this the way to Aslan's Country?'

The lamb replies, 'Not for you. For you, the door to Aslan's country is from your own world.'

Edmund, surprised, says, 'There is a way to Aslan, from our world too?'

*The lamb transforms to a lion*

Lucy asks the lion (whom they immediately recognize as Aslan), 'Will you tell us how to get to your country, from our world?'

'When the moment comes, you will know. But now I will open up the door in the sky and send you back to your own land.'

So, they stick to the book (more or less), but Aslan doesn't [i]quite[/i] come out and say, 'Haven't you figured it out, yet? I'm Jesus!'

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Its coming out very soon. Can not wait.

Posted

Well, it's out now. Has anyone seen it yet? I hope to on Friday.

Apparently, the bit about getting to Aslan's country from our world is in (in some form).

homeschoolmom
Posted

Saw it on Friday. It was great.

Posted

I hope it is as you say it is. Was it full when you want?

homeschoolmom
Posted

No, not really. We went to the last matinee. But when we came out, there were lots of people there. We saw it in 3D and they didn't do a lot of "Oh, wow... look at this popping out at you" kinds of camera tricks.

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1292360681' post='2192757']
No, not really. We went to the last matinee. But when we came out, there were lots of people there. We saw it in 3D and they didn't do a lot of "Oh, wow... look at this popping out at you" kinds of camera tricks.
[/quote]

We also saw it in 3D, but I thought the 3D was distracting, and some parts were fuzzy. Other than that, I liked it.

Posted

My brother, sister and myself might be still going.

Posted

Saw Dawntreader last night! It was good, and I want to visit Narnia....but it wasn't amazing or anything. I think it felt a bit rushed...so that we were bounced to the next island almost instantly and I was being surprised how quickly we were coming to the end of things. I wanted just a tiny bit more time to savor things.

A high point was Eustace's onboard diary. I thought they established his character very well. There were some inappropriately funny scenes, such as when Lucy and Edmund were reunited with Caspian.

The line I missed the most was Edmund telling Eustace that on his first visit to Narnia, he'd been a traitor. I wish they'd found a way to work that in, and the replacement (he complements Eustace on making a good dragon) was quite weak by comparison. I really did enjoy Caspian's speech to his men before entering Dark Island, though - it sounded very Narnian.

I didn't mind Eustace staying a dragon longer, and I didn't mind [i]too[/i] much the quest to find the swords and place them on the table. Ramandu's daughter was also not over-used as I feared she would be. The mist was meh, but probably a clever way to make temptation visible in a children's movie. (A children's movie with kidnap of slaves, human sacrifice, and a couple of dead bodies....) The references to faith were a bit stilted, but not terrible.

I didn't particularly like the set design for the island of the Dufflepuds. It had that unreal vibe - the topiary and invisible mansion were just too...whimsical. But overall, I found the way the Dufflepuds, the magician and the Book were handled to be fine.

Deathwater island was also rather, erm....annoying. It looked fine, but.... I wanted them to make the temptation of the gold believable...and for Edmund to stay Edmund. Instead, he just goes crazy for a minute, and that's...cheating. His rant sounds like his 'You think you're Dad, but you're not!' line to Peter before they even go to Narnia in the first movie. Sure, we know it gets annoying playing second fiddle after awhile, but did his power struggle with Caspian really have to come out that...childish? And then it just...vanishes. I know that it was portrayed as madness in the book, but there they acknowledged afterward that something strange had happened. Here, they just...leave. He and Caspian have a few moments later that make it clear that this is behind them, but it still felt rather hollow - you could see that they were acting.

Lucy's temptation (her jealousy of Susan) is made much more believable. I feel they put the effort into exploring her hopes and fears and playing that scene out to its conclusion. Likewise, Caspian is learning what it means to be king and what it means to be his father's son on this voyage. They don't harp on it too much, but they are able to have him realize some things by the end based on the little bits they've put in. Edmund short-shrifted again!

Drinian (the captain) is wonderful. He has the patience of a man dealing with too many kings, and the good humor to get through their difficulties as well as the common sense you'd expect from the 'responsible' one on board. Reepicheep is shown to have some wisdom in dealing with Eustace from the very beginning.

The ending (the 'return') was handled really well. The three of them looking at each other made it clear that they had just shared an adventure that they'd never be able to fully put into words. Kinda like the four hobbits in the Green Dragon at the end of RotK, actually..... It's a scene that sticks with you and makes [i]you[/i] miss Narnia.

Oh, and Aslan's message about having another name in our world? It's in. It's quite clear what he is asking of the children, I thought. They skipped the lamb part, though.

Posted

I saw it last night and mostly enjoyed it, but it was more different from the book than I thought it would be. No Trumpkin! I would've liked to have seen more of a conversation between Eustace and Aslan like in the book. I'd have had an easier time with Eustace remaining a dragon had that happened. Also no Ramandu was a big miss for me as was the fact that Aslan did not appear as a lamb.

That being said, the spirit of the book was there and I was so happy they left the line in there about Aslan going by a different name in Edmund and Lucy's world. That made the movie for me.

Posted

Oh, and the kid that played Eustace was great.

Posted

I thought this movie was a huge disappointment...they way the directors picked and chose various episodes out of context, invented plot devices and changed the story, and the lousy acting...what a disaster. The whole story was changed, and not for the better. There was very little meaningful character development, which is the whole point of the book. Bah! I am never gonna see another Narnia movie; the first one was good, the second one flawed, and this one is off the map. Grump.

Posted

I can't wait until they make [i]The Last Battle [/i]into a movie. Which will never happen in a million years.

~Sternhauser

Posted

They may, but I know what you mean. They never make it pass The Siver Chair.

ThePenciledOne
Posted

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1292674167' post='2193308']
I can't wait until they make [i]The Last Battle [/i]into a movie. Which will never happen in a million years.

~Sternhauser


[/quote]

I hope Stern though. [i]The Last Battle[/i] is my favorite of the series.

And good to see you by the way. : )

Posted

I hope that they go thought all seven of the books. Because they did a great job on the first two.

fides quarens intellectum
Posted

Saw it again yesterday without the 3D - I think it is better without the 3D distraction.

ThePenciledOne
Posted

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' timestamp='1293551499' post='2194767']
Saw it again yesterday without the 3D - I think it is better without the 3D distraction.
[/quote]

Most movies generally are.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...