dentarthurdent95 Posted August 20, 2010 Posted August 20, 2010 a lot of protestant Christian music is just covering older songs. Reliant K is the only one I can stand.
Johnny Posted September 6, 2010 Posted September 6, 2010 [quote name='Tony' timestamp='1278035330' post='2136819'] mainly the protestant variety is where i'm getting at, your run of the mill christian song you will find on your radio. a lot of them are sappy stories about how they were down in the dumps, lost everything, etc they accepted Christ and everything was all happy. I am not saying I don't love Christ (I do!) but some of this music.... i can't really handle anymore [/quote] I don't like it. For starters, the singers are never very good, the music is repetitive, and most of the songs all sound the same, with that bland vanilla tone.
eustace scrubb Posted September 7, 2010 Posted September 7, 2010 Tooth and Nail and some labels like it had some really good bands for awhile. That's not so much the case anymore, though. I have a ridiculously huge collection of Christian music on independent record labels, on both CD and cassette. The range of what I listen to is pretty vast, so I probably know of something in a given style that you'd like, as long as you're not looking for stuff on the radio with really slick production. I might take a photo of some of the better albums I have for you guys sometime. Btw here are some alternative/indie rock projects by two Eastern Orthodox seminarians who used to be on Tooth and Nail Records. It's influenced by The Smiths and other British pop bands. Has some feedback and fuzz, but they don't get real into that. [b]Luxury[/b] http://myspace.com/luxury http://luxury.bandcamp.com (buy and preview albums) [b]They Sang as They Slew[/b] http://myspace.com/theysangastheyslew http://theysangastheyslew.bandcamp.com (buy and preview albums) [b]All Things Bright and Beautiful[/b] http://myspace.com/allthingsbrightandbeautiful http://allthingsbrightandbeautiful.bandcamp.com (buy and preview albums) [b]Orient is His Name[/b] http://orientishisname.com (Their bandcamp; the regular one doesn't work for some reason...) Also, this unrelated Christian rock band is my favorite band of all-time: [b]The Prayer Chain (1988-1995 RIP)[/b] http://theprayerchain.bandcamp.com/album/neverland-sessions (The regular site leads you to a very limited B-Sides album that's been out of print since they broke up. This one is better...)
Selah Posted September 7, 2010 Posted September 7, 2010 [quote]Don't forget The Cartoon Song by Chris Rice[/quote] I hate that song.
FutureSister2009 Posted October 2, 2011 Posted October 2, 2011 I love a lot of Christian Music outside of Mass. We have Praise and Worship here on Thursday nights and it's all Christian music but you just sit and listen and pray and meditate. It's not a Mass. It's just enjoyable and relaxing and quite beautiful
Amppax Posted October 3, 2011 Posted October 3, 2011 (edited) Future of Forestry [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgLZZViOV2A[/media] Gungor [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR7VOKQ0xJY[/media] Musically pleasing Christian music. I know, seems crazy, right? Edited October 3, 2011 by Amppax
Anastasia13 Posted October 4, 2011 Posted October 4, 2011 I heard this on the radio this summer, and it was one of the most humbling songs I had heard in a while. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGniRk_GcLs
Amppax Posted October 4, 2011 Posted October 4, 2011 I have both of Gungor's albums (and some of their older stuff from before the name change). They are one of my favorite bands, regardless of genre.
Carmelshrimp Posted October 5, 2011 Posted October 5, 2011 Can't stand it - any of it! I can feel my toes curling up in my shoes. Happy to accept I have no taste if that's the case, but it turns me right off. Obviously I have a pre-Vatican ll gene
sixpence Posted October 5, 2011 Posted October 5, 2011 i like..... sixpence (duh) ... but switchfoot is my favorite... gonna check out the utube stuff recently posted... tho generally i just listen to regular hymns if I want christian music
MissyP89 Posted October 6, 2011 Posted October 6, 2011 [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1317706120' post='2315025'] I have both of Gungor's albums (and some of their older stuff from before the name change). They are one of my favorite bands, regardless of genre. [/quote] My tastes in Christian music are pretty picky these days ... I'm looking for the kind of depth that leaves me really, truly moved. I just bought the Beautiful Things album last weekend. Consistently mindblowing. If you haven't yet, look up Audrey Assad. She's a pianist.
Amppax Posted October 7, 2011 Posted October 7, 2011 [quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1317879469' post='2315951'] My tastes in Christian music are pretty picky these days ... I'm looking for the kind of depth that leaves me really, truly moved. I just bought the Beautiful Things album last weekend. Consistently mindblowing. If you haven't yet, look up Audrey Assad. She's a pianist. [/quote] If Beautiful Things blew you away, go get Ghosts Upon the Earth. It's like 2x as good.
Lil Red Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 i'm too lazy to find my previous statement, but whatever i said, I don't like Christian music.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now