An Old School Catholic Message Board

Melporcristo Update Group

melporcristo

melporcristo

+JMJT+

Praised Be Jesus Christ!

I wanted to let you all know how everything is my discernment journey has been going. I wanted to start this post to hope for your prayers and maybe a little bit of encouragement for others discerning.

I want to share very briefly how I got to where I am now :)
Basically, I was a "on the fence" and then "off the fence" discerner for many years. I was always thinking about being a religious but continued to make up reasons to why I couldn't - student loans, my "other dreams" of becoming a missionary, and ... student loans. Honestly, what I could share with those who aren't sure if their called or who aren't sure where to even begin - I have been there so many times before! It can be very overwhelming to think of all the hundreds of orders out there and all of the charisms. The best advice is to Go to the Eucharist! Let Christ quench your thirst. Then let Him lead you to the right place. The next part is just doing it! Don't let anything get in your way of your vocation!

Today I was at Mass and after, 2 women approached me with a check to go towards my student loans. This has been the second check that has come in within the past few weeks. I know that Our Lord will provide! Although I have much more to fund raise, I don't feel afraid at all. Jesus, I trust in Thee! 22 more days until I leave!

Pray for me as I for you!

In Christ,

Melissa
"Melporcristo"

osapientia

[quote name='melporcristo' date='08 July 2010 - 02:11 PM' timestamp='1278609081' post='2139346']
+JMJT+

Praised Be Jesus Christ!

I wanted to let you all know how everything is my discernment journey has been going. I wanted to start this post to hope for your prayers and maybe a little bit of encouragement for others discerning.

I want to share very briefly how I got to where I am now :)
Basically, I was a "on the fence" and then "off the fence" discerner for many years. I was always thinking about being a religious but continued to make up reasons to why I couldn't - student loans, my "other dreams" of becoming a missionary, and ... student loans. Honestly, what I could share with those who aren't sure if their called or who aren't sure where to even begin - I have been there so many times before! It can be very overwhelming to think of all the hundreds of orders out there and all of the charisms. The best advice is to Go to the Eucharist! Let Christ quench your thirst. Then let Him lead you to the right place. The next part is just doing it! Don't let anything get in your way of your vocation!

Today I was at Mass and after, 2 women approached me with a check to go towards my student loans. This has been the second check that has come in within the past few weeks. I know that Our Lord will provide! Although I have much more to fund raise, I don't feel afraid at all. Jesus, I trust in Thee! 22 more days until I leave!

Pray for me as I for you!

In Christ,

Melissa
"Melporcristo"
[/quote]

WOW!!! These checks just came to you out of the blue? How miraculous is that!?!?

Praise God.
Osap

osapientia

[quote name='osapientia' date='08 July 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1278610150' post='2139352']
WOW!!! These checks just came to you out of the blue? How miraculous is that!?!?

Praise God.
Osap
[/quote]
Oh and one more thing...just because I'm wondering. What happens in 22 days if you haven't raised exactly the amount you need for your student loans? I'm really NOT trying to be rude or discouraging...I am praying you get every single penny of the funds that you need.

I'm just wondering what happens to those with actual set entrance dates who do not have the loan paid off. Are communities willing to wait? (I would think so, right?) Do you enter postulancy anyway and pray that the checks keep coming in time for you to enter the novitiate?

Thanks..and if you don't want to answer in a public forum, I understand. Please feel free to private message me.

Osap

melporcristo

[quote name='osapientia' date='08 July 2010 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1278610660' post='2139354']
Oh and one more thing...just because I'm wondering. What happens in 22 days if you haven't raised exactly the amount you need for your student loans? I'm really NOT trying to be rude or discouraging...I am praying you get every single penny of the funds that you need.

I'm just wondering what happens to those with actual set entrance dates who do not have the loan paid off. Are communities willing to wait? (I would think so, right?) Do you enter postulancy anyway and pray that the checks keep coming in time for you to enter the novitiate?

Thanks..and if you don't want to answer in a public forum, I understand. Please feel free to private message me.

Osap
[/quote]

Actually, I have the great blessing of having at least 2 years to fundraise before I enter as a postulant. The order I am joining has a pre-aspirancy program called the Candidacy. This a opportune time to seriously discern with the order in community with other young women. We also have jobs within the community's apostolates, working to pay off monthly student loans if we need to.

melporcristo

+JMJT+

Oh :nerd: silly me! I didn't even say the name of the Order I'll be joining! And it's too late to edit the post - the Order is the [url="http://http://www.carmelitesistersocd.com/"]Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart[/url] in Alhambra, CA! :breakdance:

God bless!

Edited by melporcristo

osapientia

[quote name='melporcristo' date='08 July 2010 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1278632563' post='2139520']
Actually, I have the great blessing of having at least 2 years to fundraise before I enter as a postulant. The order I am joining has a pre-aspirancy program called the Candidacy. This a opportune time to seriously discern with the order in community with other young women. We also have jobs within the community's apostolates, working to pay off monthly student loans if we need to.
[/quote]

Wow...excellent idea on the part of that community. Very creative and very helpful. I like that. God bless you.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='melporcristo' date='08 July 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1278632563' post='2139520']
[/quote]

That is really awesome. Makes me wish more communities had that option -- just imagine how many people would be entering! (Not simply to pay off their loans, but to truly enter because it's their vocation, of course. :sweat: ) It'd be nice if that option was available for communities that require a "dowry", too.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='09 July 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1278648996' post='2139663']
I'm just wondering what the church would look like if student loans didn't exist.
[/quote]

Ditto!

[quote name='CatherineM' date='09 July 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1278648996' post='2139663']
I'm just wondering what the church would look like if student loans didn't exist.
[/quote]

Isn't that the truth!!!

[quote name='melporcristo' date='08 July 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1278632709' post='2139523']
+JMJT+

Oh :nerd: silly me! I didn't even say the name of the Order I'll be joining! And it's too late to edit the post - the Order is the [url="http://http://www.carmelitesistersocd.com/"]Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart[/url] in Alhambra, CA! :breakdance:

God bless!
[/quote]

Congratulations, and blessings to you, Melissa! That is a wonderful community, and I'm so happy for you. Be assured of my prayers for you in your vocation!!! :D

melporcristo

[quote name='CatherineM' date='08 July 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1278648996' post='2139663']
[/quote]

:lol: I know, right? Although ... having student loans does teach me a great deal about trusting Our Lord. It also teaches me a great deal about living in simplicity and having responsibility. Ah gotta love that "r" word :)

A blog post about the sisters on Fourth of July

http://carmelitesisters.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/a-carmelite-4th-of-july/

They're a great order.

CatherineM

I was thinking about how many women (or men) would feel free to stay home with their kids without the burden of student loans. How many might be willing to take a lower paying job in a church or Catholic school without them. How many might be willing to take time off to do missionary work, or volunteer more at church without worrying about debts. I think it is especially tragic when student loans keep a single person from religious life or seminary.

• 2 weeks later...
melporcristo

+JMJ+

Hi everyone!

I've been fundraising at my home parish and WOW. People are SO generous!! I feel very blessed to have such supportive parishoners as my extended family :) God is so good!!

11 more days!!! :lol_roll: :lol_roll: :lol_roll:

God love you,

Mel

Awesome! That order is on my consideration list.

Mel, of their three apostolates, which do you feel called to? Do you get to choose the apostolate? Do you know what their talks/conferences/retreats are like in their retreat apostolate, like the depth, schedule, etc.?

What happened to you with the check reminds me of a story I recently heard. I think it was on Journey Home on EWTN. The man was ready to enter an order in some time. He was sitting in church, praying to Mary, telling her that he needed his bills taken care of so he could enter. The next moment, a woman taps him on his shoulder or back, and she says "how much?" He replied that he didn't understand, and she said God put it on her heart that he needed financial help. Amazing! He said he didn't pray to Mary much, either. But Mary is the Mother of all vocations, especially Priests! God is so good!

Edited by JoyfulLife