An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions Regarding The Nashville Dominicans

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I have looked at the Formation Process part of the Nashville Dominicans' website and noticed something I am a little concerned about. This is included in the Inquiry part:

[i]The candidate may request an application. This application process entails completing an information form;[b][i] sending school transcripts[/i][/b], medical forms, Baptismal & Confirmation certificates; acquiring a letter of recommendation from a priest; writing a personal statement of one’s motive for entering religious life; and completing a psychological evaluation.[/i]

I had problems in the past related to a chronic illness where I couldn't concentrate in school and as a result, I did poorly in several classes and my transcripts read like I didn't care about my education. I'm concerned, since taking courses at Aquinas College is part of Nashville's formation process, if they would reject someone who has a poor education history. My history has since improved and I intend to discuss (if it ever comes to this point) with the Vocation Director about my past and be honest with her. I am not trying to jump ahead, but it was just a little concern I had. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Whenever you have things like that in your history, it's always good to be willing to explain, and in the case of something, well, obvious, a little sticky note on the transcript saying "Note: Illness from 4/08-6/08" or something like that will at least let them know what to think about the red flag. I can't imagine they turn away people for having failed a class, but at the same time, they would not be able to accept someone who cannot handle higher education, so it's not a mere formality to include transcripts.

But yes, you're jumping the gun here ;). You have to apply before you can answer questions about your application.

OnlySunshine

How long does it usually take for the Vocation Director to reply to emails? I just sent one a day or so ago, but I was just wondering. I've tried to reach her in the past and never heard back...

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='13 July 2010 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1279053165' post='2142161']
How long does it usually take for the Vocation Director to reply to emails? I just sent one a day or so ago, but I was just wondering. I've tried to reach her in the past and never heard back...
[/quote]

They are super-inundated with requests! I would recommend calling - I've talked to her before, she will definitely call you back! :) And don't worry, there's no pressure. They get inquiries all the time, so you can feel comfortable calling! :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='13 July 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1279054450' post='2142173']
They are super-inundated with requests! I would recommend calling - I've talked to her before, she will definitely call you back! :) And don't worry, there's no pressure. They get inquiries all the time, so you can feel comfortable calling! :)
[/quote]

I was considering doing this very thing today! I would like to buy a plane ticket as soon as I can because Southwest has some great deals right now. :)

Maria Faustina

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='13 July 2010 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1279053165' post='2142161']
[/quote]

Haha.. ohhh man. Well, I've had lots of experience with emailing Sister Mary Emily about vocation related things because I am also discerning with this community... but anyway, it usually takes two to three weeks for her to email someone. That's also what I've found in talking to a friend who also has discerning experience with them (We even have a joke about how long it takes Dominicans to respond to emails). It's also a very busy time of year for them-they just recently had a large celebration of 150 years since the foundation of their convent, and First & Final vows are usually the last weeks in July. So it may take a little longer for Sister to get back to you than usual. Calling is sometimes a very wise idea ;)

They are a great community! They have an absolutely beautiful Motherhouse that I hope to call "home" someday. The sisters are ahhhhmazing- if you want to know what Heaven feels like, just go visit the Sisters for an hour or two and attend prayers with them. They are very talented singers. I know I've learned sooo much from them about how to love God and serve Him in the life I am living now.

If you have any questions you want to ask me, just PM me and we can definetly talk because I'd be more than willing to share what I know about this community and the experiences I've had being taught by the Sisters in school :))

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Maria Faustina' date='14 July 2010 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1279165267' post='2142844']
Haha.. ohhh man. Well, I've had lots of experience with emailing Sister Mary Emily about vocation related things because I am also discerning with this community... but anyway, it usually takes two to three weeks for her to email someone. That's also what I've found in talking to a friend who also has discerning experience with them (We even have a joke about how long it takes Dominicans to respond to emails). It's also a very busy time of year for them-they just recently had a large celebration of 150 years since the foundation of their convent, and First & Final vows are usually the last weeks in July. So it may take a little longer for Sister to get back to you than usual. Calling is sometimes a very wise idea ;)

They are a great community! They have an absolutely beautiful Motherhouse that I hope to call "home" someday. The sisters are ahhhhmazing- if you want to know what Heaven feels like, just go visit the Sisters for an hour or two and attend prayers with them. They are very talented singers. I know I've learned sooo much from them about how to love God and serve Him in the life I am living now.

If you have any questions you want to ask me, just PM me and we can definetly talk because I'd be more than willing to share what I know about this community and the experiences I've had being taught by the Sisters in school :))
[/quote]

I just called Sr. Mary Emily tonight around 9:30pm and left a message on the answering machine asking her to call me back after 3:30pm since I work during the day. I'm hoping to be able to go to their next retreat this fall, whether it's a Jesu Caritas or a Vocations retreat. (I'd prefer the 5 day vocation retreat, but I may have to go again next year for that.)

I can't think of any questions right now to ask you, but I will PM you if necessary! Thanks for your help! :))