An Old School Catholic Message Board

Falling In Love With God

Sarah147

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_U4liNUZkhz0/TATSCQ7-gOI/AAAAAAAAErc/1OSYYEJJzcA/s1600/800px-San_Michele_Santa_Margherita_Maria_Alacoque2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://fatherjoe.files.wordpress.com/2006/08/josephcopertino.jpg[/img]

Hello.

There are people that more than love God, they say they have "fallen in love with God." [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img] What all does that encompass? How do they come to that?

I'm still just under a few years in my walk with Jesus, and I'm praying to come to that depth of love with God. It also doesn't help that I didn't have a very loving family or friends in my life, until really these past few years and now. What more can I do? What are all the things I can do?

I have heard that early in peoples walks, they can have good feelings and consolations, and that those pass as you grow, is that sort of what they mean? Is it not so much what they are doing, but what God is doing in them, graces?

God bless you.

Edited by JoyfulLife

If you'd like you could send me a personal message and I could tell you some about what this means to me.

TeresaBenedicta

What a beautiful question.

I want to think about this a little bit before I give a full answer.

I'll share one thing first, though.

At a point in time when I was struggling in my discernment (a particular guy friend came back into my life), I had a very life-changing realization. I realized that there was no way I could love another man without... somehow... [i]harming[/i] my relationship with God. Not harming in the sense of sin, but... While marriage is certainly a good, I realized that if I chose it, I would choosing to, well, deny some of God's love for me. That I wouldn't be able to love another man without loving God less.

...anywho, I do want to think about this more. And I'm looking forward to other posters' answers.

That is a really good question. I see what you are trying to ask. You have heard of what other who have "fallen in Love with God" have felt, and wondered how they got there and what you can do. Did I get that right?

I I'd say a big thing that helped was that I never really had a father through most of my life ( really only 6 years out of my 18, and I can't say that I'll really ever have one) so as soon as I really begun to make God my ultimate Father figure (Him being our Heavenly father) I really began to see how much he loved me. I began treating him like he was my father and that really helped in my relationship with him. After that, the actual "falling in love" with God part didn't really happen till I realized what it was like to fall in love with a man. Going through that, and realizing that God was the Lover, and that all Love is from Him and is Him, kinda made me think differently. Christ was madly in love with me! With me! From that point I saw everything that God created and did as an act of
love for me. To say the least I did get a little love struck and my feet were off the ground for some time (still are) :love: I would listen to Christain praise and worship music about Gods love, read the psalms, the songs, the writings of the saints on love, and that just increased it.

I would recommend reading the Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila. It talks about the different levels of the soul in ones relationship with God, and the different consolations and challenges that come with them. It's a great way to see where you are at, and where you could be. It's not too hard to read, the original work can get a little tough. It's really good, but I'm still trying to pull through it! I hope to maybe find a simplified summary work until I have the intellect to go through the real thing.

I also recommend Call Him Father, by Fr. Edward G. Maristany. It's a small book ( about 60 pages ) that talks about simply being Gods children, and allowing Him to be our Father. It's a really good book and really helped me.

Wow that was long. Hopefully that helped some!

Prayers for you on your journey!

teresitacarmel

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='16 July 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1279331432' post='2143732']
What a beautiful question.

I want to think about this a little bit before I give a full answer.

I'll share one thing first, though.

At a point in time when I was struggling in my discernment (a particular guy friend came back into my life), I had a very life-changing realization. I realized that there was no way I could love another man without... somehow... [i]harming[/i] my relationship with God. Not harming in the sense of sin, but... While marriage is certainly a good, I realized that if I chose it, I would choosing to, well, deny some of God's love for me. That I wouldn't be able to love another man without loving God less.

...anywho, I do want to think about this more. And I'm looking forward to other posters' answers.
[/quote]

I feel the same way too. I realized that it would be hard to give myself entirely to another man, when it is the Lord who possesses my whole being [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img] It's pretty hard to describe and I get a little shy about it, but I most definitely am in love. I think what happened to me was that He made me fall head over heels in love with Him with all that He is, all that He does. He's captured my heart, and as I grow closer to Him, I can't help but fall in love madly! Yes, JoyfulLife, early in your walk, you might get a lot of consolations, but as you get further, there will be hard trials, aridity, etc, and it won't be as easy....but I think it's different for everyone, since some have a pretty smooth path, while others struggle a lot with darkness and temptations. Have you read the book on Mother Teresa, "Come be my light"? She spent years feeling arid and far from God, imagine that...

I think that it goes both ways, regarding what you can do to get to that state of being in love. You have to do things, and the Lord has to grant you graces. I don't think that one can force anything to happen, so just pray and focus on growing closer to Him, and He will guide you and lead you down your very own path :) And I agree with JTheresa : reading Scripture (eg. Song of Songs), writings of the saints, listening to praise music will definitely increase your passion for Him[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img]

Ok, I hope that was helpful in some way. It's really hard to give an adequate description of what it's like to fall in love with God. But it's such a wonderful feeling, to be crazy in love constantly, being taken over by this burning passion....(blush) Thank you for this lovely question, and I'd love to see other people's replies. God bless!

Sister Marie

Thank you for asking that questions... it gave me a great opportunity for reflection in my own life. I don't know if this has been posted before but it is a great way for me to think about falling in love with God. I have this prayer framed in my bedroom and I try to reflect on it frequently and let it be a kind of examen of how I have loved God.

[i][center]Nothing is more practical than finding God,
that is,
than falling in love
in a quite absolute, final way.
What you are in love with
what seizes your imagination
will affect everthing.

It will decide
what will get you out of bed in the morning,
what you will do with your evenings,
how you spend your weekends,
what you read,
who you know,
what breaks your heart,
and what amazes you with joy and gratitude.

Fall in love,
stay in love,
and it will decide everything.

Don Pedro Arupe, SJ [/center][/i]

Falling in love with God starts with emotion and tangible graces but in the end it doesn't matter what feelings are there. It is about the decision, the commitment to let that relationship decide everything else in your life; what you read, what you feel, what you do, where you go. Falling deeper and deeper in love with God is a journey in which God calls you closer to Him and by you self-sacrifice, selflessness, and commitment you grow more and more into Him. God is always pursuing. We just decide whether to answer or not.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='16 July 2010 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1279329936' post='2143723']

I'm still just under a few years in my walk with Jesus, and I'm praying to come to that depth of love with God. It also doesn't help that I didn't have a very loving family or friends in my life, until really these past few years and now. What more can I do? What are all the things I can do?

[/quote]

Id say Jesus has been walking with you your whole life, or as it says in Jeremiah " Before I formed you in your mothers womb I knew you" and God doesnt just mean Jeremiah. Its because God has loved you all along that you are even at this point. Just keep saying yes, thy will be done, and He will take you further.

lookingforfaith

[quote name='JTheresa' date='17 July 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1279340150' post='2143791']
That is a really good question. I see what you are trying to ask. You have heard of what other who have "fallen in Love with God" have felt, and wondered how they got there and what you can do. Did I get that right?

I I'd say a big thing that helped was that I never really had a father through most of my life ( really only 6 years out of my 18, and I can't say that I'll really ever have one) so as soon as I really begun to make God my ultimate Father figure (Him being our Heavenly father) I really began to see how much he loved me. I began treating him like he was my father and that really helped in my relationship with him. After that, the actual "falling in love" with God part didn't really happen till I realized what it was like to fall in love with a man. Going through that, and realizing that God was the Lover, and that all Love is from Him and is Him, kinda made me think differently. Christ was madly in love with me! With me! From that point I saw everything that God created and did as an act of
love for me. To say the least I did get a little love struck and my feet were off the ground for some time (still are) [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img] I would listen to Christain praise and worship music about Gods love, read the psalms, the songs, the writings of the saints on love, and that just increased it.

I would recommend reading the Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila. It talks about the different levels of the soul in ones relationship with God, and the different consolations and challenges that come with them. It's a great way to see where you are at, and where you could be. It's not too hard to read, the original work can get a little tough. It's really good, but I'm still trying to pull through it! I hope to maybe find a simplified summary work until I have the intellect to go through the real thing.

I also recommend Call Him Father, by Fr. Edward G. Maristany. It's a small book ( about 60 pages ) that talks about simply being Gods children, and allowing Him to be our Father. It's a really good book and really helped me.

Wow that was long. Hopefully that helped some!

Prayers for you on your journey!
[/quote]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Something I've learned that helps in growing in a deeper relationship is growing in prayer...

I think of old romantic books, where the man tries to win her heart with poetry and singing, he courts her, he does special little things for her, shows her attention and affection, he makes her swoon, and grow in affection and love. They knew more about love back then. We can and should do this with God. Especially when we are in Adoration, we can speak or sing to God as the love of our life. Just look at all the poetry, songs and writing of the Saints that were deep in love with God. Tell God you love Him, mean it, want it, feel it, love Him, give Him your attention, give Him your time, make Him your life. Aim for this Holiness. What does God want of us above all? Our heart, our love. And to let Him love us.

I highly recommend the booklet "Jesus is my All in All" A Novena to Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

MOTHER TERESA'S LAST PRAYER

I worry some of you still have not really met Jesus, one-to-one, you and Jesus alone. We may spend time in chapel - but have you seen with the eyes of your soul how He looks at you with love? Do you really know the living Jesus - not from books but from being with Him in your heart? Have you heard the loving words He speaks to you? Ask for the grace; He is longing to give it. Until you can hear Jesus in the silence of your own heart, you will never be able to hear Him saying "I thirst" in the hearts of the poor. Never give up this daily intimate contact with Jesus as the real living person - not just the idea. How can we last even one day without hearing Jesus say "I love you"? Impossible. Our soul needs that as much as the body needs to breathe the air. If not, prayer is dead - meditation, only thinking. Jesus wants you each to hear Him speaking in the silence of your heart. Be careful of all that can block that personal contact with the living Jesus. The devil may try to use the hurts of life, and sometimes our own mistakes - to make you feel it is impossible that Jesus really loves you, is really cleaving to you. This is a danger for all of us. And so sad, because it is completely the opposite of what Jesus is really wanting, waiting to tell you. Not only that He loves you, but even more - He longs for you. He misses you when you don't come close. He thirsts for you. He loves you always, even when you don't feel worthy. When not accepted by others, even by yourself sometimes - He is the One Who always accepts you. Only believe - you are precious to Him.

Bring all you are suffering to His feet-only open your heart to be loved by Him as you are.
He will do the rest.

- MOTHER TERESA, 1910-1997

Edited by JoyfulLife

[size="2"]The Cost of Loving God by Father John A. Hardon, S.J.
[/size][b][url="http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0996.htm"]http://www.catholice...gion/re0996.htm[/url][/b]

Edited by JoyfulLife

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='20 July 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1279646536' post='2145480']
[size="2"]The Cost of Loving God by Father John A. Hardon, S.J.
[/size][b][url="http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0996.htm"]http://www.catholice...gion/re0996.htm[/url][/b]
[/quote]

:clapping:

Fr. John Hardon, SJ = :love:

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if any of the members visiting recently that missed this thread have anything to comment.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='02 August 2010 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1280792000' post='2151157']
Just wondering if any of the members visiting recently that missed this thread have anything to comment.
[/quote]

Love to :)

I always had a firm understanding of Christ as a person, and so from the beginning it made sense to love him in a direct, personal way. One of the first ways that I can point to that love slowly transforming into a sort of spousal love - going from loving to being in love - came probably 5 years ago or so. For some reason or other I decided to get serious about reading the Scriptures, and when I got to the Gospels I found myself craving those mentions of Jesus displaying emotion and physically doing things. It sounds a little silly writing this out, but whenever I came upon Jesus reaching out, or touching someone, or taking someone's hand, something would happen to me. I could almost feel my heart surging up towards God, longing to to feel that physical presence.
That was really where it all began. In the years following, my understanding of the Eucharist picked up, and even though I didn't really know what I was doing or what I was supposed to say, I found myself being drawn more and more to Eucharistic Adoration or simply just spending time before Jesus in the Tabernacle. By some mysterious Grace, the Lord has chosen to bless me with many consolations to help me know of his physical presence in the Eucharist, and so knowing Jesus personally and physically in the Tabernacle has developed as a central part of my prayer life, personal spirituality, and understanding of myself.
Really, when I think about it, the whole "being IN love with God" thing snuck up on me. Looking way back, I can see where seeds were planted along the way, but I can't really tell you much more about how I got here. At the same time, I feel like I was created for this kind of intimate relationship with the Lord. It didn't just start one day, it was always there in some way or another. So now that I'm at the point in my life where I think that the Lord truly is calling me to be His spouse forever, it feels... oh I don't know...natural. Like it's just an extension of who I am, who I've been all along. When it comes to marriage with an earthly man, I just don't understand how I could have that and not have my relationship with God somehow suffer. It's not that I think marriage is bad or less of a grace, or even that God would hold it against me. But I can hear Him whispering my name, calling me closer and closer to Himself. How could I say no to that?!

Hmm...I actually can't really remember where I was going with this, but hopefully that kind of answers the original post. And to sum up, I guess what sustains me the most in my relationship with the Lord is simply being with Him. With or without the consolations, whether my mind wanders or want, whether I feel like it or not...I can't emphasize enough how much I have gained from just being in His presence and working to not withhold from Him even the tiniest corner of my heart.

lookingforfaith

[quote name='frassati' date='03 August 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1280867488' post='2151616']
It's not that I think marriage is bad or less of a grace, or even that God would hold it against me. But I can hear Him whispering my name, calling me closer and closer to Himself. How could I say no to that?! [/quote]

This is excactly what I think too. I've had people ask me if I think that I COULDN'T get married one day...I wish I could have thought of this to respond with. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]