An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kierkegaard's Religious Views

tinytherese

tinytherese

I have to do a paper and group presentation on him in my philosophy class. We've divided up some of the research and I'm focusing on his philosophy concerning his Christian views.

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='22 July 2010 - 12:57 AM' timestamp='1279778231' post='2146258']
I love Kierkegaard!!!
[/quote]

I love everyone, but Kierkegaard is among my least favorite of philosophers.

Laudate_Dominum

Kierkegaard is a friend of mine.
Kierkegaard is my friend.
I have a friend in Kierkegaard.

He's cool but he's got nothing on Mothra imho.

Reading Kierkegaard and Nietzsche at the same time is neat.

Brother Adam

After my last class I am acquainted with him, and while I have found some gems in him, I find most of his work rambling nonsense. I know I am in a minority there, but I can't stand him.

TeresaBenedicta

I enjoyed reading [i]Fear and Trembling[/i]. I don't agree with what Kierkegaard is trying to get at, but I found it very interesting. I don't think there is a teleological epoche; you can't go [i]beyond[/i] ethics. That's not faith.

Could be worse. My philosophy teacher was in love with Lonergan. My mother would have said that he talked just to hear his head rattle.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='22 July 2010 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1279804949' post='2146280']

Reading Kierkegaard and Nietzsche at the same time is neat.
[/quote]

They just had a class with those two, wish I had taken it. I am more or less doing it and Kierkegaard and Nietzsche do compliment one another very well.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='28 July 2010 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1280287773' post='2148990']
Could be worse. My philosophy teacher was in love with Lonergan. My mother would have said that he talked just to hear his head rattle.
[/quote]

My metaphysics prof. brought in Lonergan and it was irritating. Didn't feel like I really understood anything at all.

tinytherese

There definitely are things that he says that the Church wouldn't agree with. For part of the paper I have to bring up objections and I'm thinking of using sources such as the catechism, Fides et Ratio, and or Mere Christianity for that.

The first two would be better sources, IMO. [i]Mere Christianity[/i] is written in laymen's terms, not using traditional philosophical language.

Of course, that makes it a lot easier to read and understand! :topsy:

If you do use it, use it sparingly.