Apotheoun Posted July 26, 2010 Author Posted July 26, 2010 [quote name='Winchester' date='26 July 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1280177580' post='2148391'] What if you're pantheist? [/quote] Non-Christian religion.
Apotheoun Posted July 26, 2010 Author Posted July 26, 2010 [quote name='Winchester' date='26 July 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1280177641' post='2148393'] What if you're a rock? [/quote] Sorry, rocks do not get to vote in the poll.
jeffpugh Posted July 26, 2010 Posted July 26, 2010 It explains why God gave us Rock and Roll. I suppose I voted EF. Woot to that. I like this poll. Let it abide.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted July 26, 2010 Posted July 26, 2010 I didn't know there were ordinary and extraordinary Roman Catholics... As for the liturgy, I attend both.
Mark of the Cross Posted July 26, 2010 Posted July 26, 2010 (edited) Whatever us crazy hippy Australian Catholics are! [quote name='Winchester' date='27 July 2010 - 08:54 AM' timestamp='1280177641' post='2148393'] What if you're a rock? [/quote] I rock and I'm a Christian! Edited July 26, 2010 by Mark of the Cross
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted July 26, 2010 Posted July 26, 2010 (edited) I can't reply to the poll. The closest would be "10% Culturally Anglo-Catholic (which I don't consider Protestant, and I refuse to call myself Protestant in a poll or anywhere else), but 90% I'd have to say "Totally confused." As usual, I don't fit in anywhere, but then, I never have. All my life. Anywhere. About anything. Ask God what my religion is, he's the only one who knows, and I don't think even he could fit me in that poll or any other. He and I will work it out, and ask me again for the 2020 census, maybe I'll know more. I'd like to please you, Apo, but I can't lie. Edited July 26, 2010 by IgnatiusofLoyola
Slappo Posted July 26, 2010 Posted July 26, 2010 (edited) He could have put "Christian - Non Catholic" in place of Protestant. To Catholics it is the same thing, but non-Catholics do not see it that way. Edit: Actually the first line is not true. We would not consider those Protestants who are not Baptized in the Trinitarian formula as Christian. Catholic's must be really confusing to others... but then again... others are really confusing to us... Edited July 26, 2010 by Slappo
Mark of the Cross Posted July 26, 2010 Posted July 26, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='27 July 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1280185455' post='2148455'] I can't reply to the poll. The closest would be "10% Culturally Anglo-Catholic (which I don't consider Protestant, and I refuse to call myself Protestant in a poll or anywhere else), but 90% I'd have to say "Totally confused." As usual, I don't fit in anywhere, but then, I never have. All my life. Anywhere. About anything. Ask God what my religion is, he's the only one who knows, and I don't think even he could fit me in that poll or any other. He and I will work it out, and ask me again for the 2020 census, maybe I'll know more. I'd like to please you, Apo, but I can't lie. [/quote] You're near and dear to Jesus Igy and that's all that really matters. The Poll asked what religion? Not what denomination! I would say that without doubt you are very Christian.
Slappo Posted July 26, 2010 Posted July 26, 2010 (edited) [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='26 July 2010 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1280185455' post='2148455'] I'd like to please you, Apo, but [b]I can't lie.[/b] [/quote] Your hips can' either Well... at least Shakira's can't Edited July 26, 2010 by Slappo
Apotheoun Posted July 26, 2010 Author Posted July 26, 2010 When I was an Anglo-Catholic (i.e., a High Church Episcopalian) I would have had no problem admitting that I was a Protestant, because the Episcopal Church descends from the the Church of England, which itself became independent as a Reformational body. Much of the theology that is foundational to the Anglican Articles of Religion and to the services found in the Book of Common Prayer are Protestant in nature. There is nothing polemical in saying this; instead, it is simply a statement of fact.
Resurrexi Posted July 26, 2010 Posted July 26, 2010 [quote name='CatherineM' date='26 July 2010 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1280186961' post='2148468'] How about Irish Catholics? [/quote] Historically, most Irish Catholics would have self-identified with the Traditional Latin Mass.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted July 27, 2010 Posted July 27, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Apotheoun' date='26 July 2010 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1280186589' post='2148465'] When I was an Anglo-Catholic (i.e., a High Church Episcopalian) I would have had no problem admitting that I was a Protestant, because the Episcopal Church descends from the the Church of England, which itself became independent as a Reformational body. Much of the theology that is foundational to the Anglican Articles of Religion and to the services found in the Book of Common Prayer are Protestant in nature. There is nothing polemical in saying this; instead, it is simply a statement of fact. [/quote] I understand that, and I figured that this would be your answer. I think a lot of my feeling is colored by my negative experiences with Evangelical Protestants in my callow youth. So, I don't think of myself as a Protestant, whatever the reality is. And, most of the time, I have no need to give a "specific name" to my beliefs. Where it asked "Religion," on my profile page I wanted to say "Anglo-Catholic but mostly totally confused" but it wouldn't let me because it was too long. Heck, if you keep posting those pictures of those beautiful Byzantine ceremonies, you may turn me into a Byzantine. In Chicago, there is actually a Byzantine Episcopal church, although I know nothing about it. (But, I bet they don't wear ugly vestments!) [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img] Edited July 27, 2010 by IgnatiusofLoyola
The Bus Station Posted July 27, 2010 Posted July 27, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Resurrexi' date='26 July 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1280187671' post='2148470'] Historically, most Irish Catholics would have self-identified with the Traditional Latin Mass. [/quote] I'm an Irish Catholic who identifies with the OF Edited July 27, 2010 by The Bus Station
The Bus Station Posted July 27, 2010 Posted July 27, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='26 July 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1280179159' post='2148405'] I didn't know there were ordinary and extraordinary Roman Catholics... [/quote] And yeah, agreed... why must there be a differentiation in the poll?
Winchester Posted July 27, 2010 Posted July 27, 2010 [size="7"]The Bus Station demands an answer! [/size]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now