An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hypocricy Vs Upholding Standards

sixpence

Recently, I was walking by a Greek Orthodox church with a friend. The friend wondered if I would like to go in an look around. I commented that I did not think that would be appropriate, since I was wearing shorts at the time, and did not think this met the standards for entering a Greek Orthodox church (at least according to what I had been told previously by my best girlfriend about her church). At that point, the friend I was with got very upset and said anyone who keeps people out of church just because they are dressed a certain way is being a hypocrite (because Jesus "accepted" and showed love to all people- prostitutes, samaritans etc)!! I was very upset by this, but I was unable to clearly explain why I completely disagreed with his statement.

Help? I believe this has to do with forgiving a sin vs accepting a sin.

If I remember correctly, some churches in Rome (and maybe the Vatican?) impose a standard of dress on tourists (no sleeveless shirts, etc.) but this standard is well-publicized and equitably enforced. I've never heard of this outside of Rome, though I'll admit my information is quite limited.

My first thought is that your friend doesn't understand what hypocrisy is. Hypocrisy is, in short, pretending to have virtues or beliefs that you do not sincerely hold. So if members of a Church turned away people who were dressed immodestly, while the members themselves were dressed immodestly, that would be hypocritical. What your friend is really saying is that he doesn't think this standard (if indeed it exists) is in keeping with historical Christian teaching.

However, that's simply not true. Jesus did consort with sinners of all sorts, it's true, but he didn't tell them they should stay in their sin. Without exception, he encouraged people to "go and sin no more." You'll find this phrase repeatedly throughout the Gospels.

When a church has standards like "you should dress modestly to enter" it is calling people to a greater respect for themselves and the holy space they are entering. That's not hypocritical; rather it is respectful.

homeschoolmom

I agree with Terra and would add:

Your friend just wanted to look around, right? Not go to confession or receive sacraments or even just pray... just looking around? People are not entitled to just look around simply because they want to.

And when I was in Mexico and in Spain, we were expected to wear skirts at the cathedrals and churches we went to. I'm not sure if this was our tour guides instructions or posted at the churches (I can't remember). And I just saw something recently that the dress code expected at St. Peter's is now expected throughout the Vatacan. Don't know the exact details... only caught the end of the story.

What Terra said.

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='28 July 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1280348560' post='2149216']
However, that's simply not true. Jesus did consort with sinners of all sorts, it's true, but he didn't tell them they should stay in their sin. Without exception, he encouraged people to "go and sin no more." You'll find this phrase repeatedly throughout the Gospels.
[/quote]
Yeah, that's become one of my pet peeves. The "Jesus hung out with prostitutes" line has become kind of a cliche in certain "Christian" circles, usually used to push the idea that Christians need to just accept everyone as they are, and not hold people to any moral standards, nor condemn sexual immorality. The numerous times Jesus spoke of the importance of repentance are ignored.

[quote name='Socrates' date='28 July 2010 - 03:39 PM' timestamp='1280353152' post='2149246']
Yeah, that's become one of my pet peeves. The "Jesus hung out with prostitutes" line has become kind of a cliche in certain "Christian" circles, usually used to push the idea that Christians need to just accept everyone as they are, and not hold people to any moral standards, nor condemn sexual immorality. The numerous times Jesus spoke of the importance of repentance are ignored.
[/quote]
It is a pet peeve of mine as well. It indicates a lazy theology.

By way of analogy, when my nieces and nephews come running up to me covered in mud after their waterfight, I help them clean off the mud before I let them hug me. I don't love them any less because they're muddy, but they're much nicer to be around once they won't track mud in my house.

Would your friend wear shorts to dinner at the White House? Why is it okay to tell someone they can't wear shorts or have open toed shoes in the concession kitchen at a football stadium? Because it is okay to set limits, unless you're a Christian.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Socrates' date='28 July 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1280353152' post='2149246']
What Terra said.

[/quote]
Pet peeve here, too.

SanctitasDeo

In Russia, in many of the the Russian Orthodox temples, women are not allowed in without covering their heads, and in some places, skirts were also required. Men were also expected to dress, if not formally, at least nicely. It did seem to be enforced differently in each one, however.

I do think it is interesting how we seem to have lost the ability to respect and honor by dress and behavior for the sake of 'individual rights.' The implication is: "I am more important than those around me, my parents, the President, and God (etc)." In some ways, American culture has become too casual.

[quote name='sixpence' date='28 July 2010 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1280346720' post='2149193']
Recently, I was walking by a Greek Orthodox church with a friend. The friend wondered if I would like to go in an look around. I commented that I did not think that would be appropriate, since I was wearing shorts at the time, and did not think this met the standards for entering a Greek Orthodox church (at least according to what I had been told previously by my best girlfriend about her church). At that point, the friend I was with got very upset and said anyone who keeps people out of church just because they are dressed a certain way is being a hypocrite (because Jesus "accepted" and showed love to all people- prostitutes, samaritans etc)!! I was very upset by this, but I was unable to clearly explain why I completely disagreed with his statement.

Help? I believe this has to do with forgiving a sin vs accepting a sin.
[/quote]

your friend needs some [b]edicate lessons [/b]