An Old School Catholic Message Board

Happy Feast Of Ignatius Of Loyola

osapientia

:yahoo: :yahoo: [size="3"]Happy Feast Day!![/size] :yahoo: :yahoo:

Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding and my whole will. All that I am and all that I possess You have given me: I surrender it all to You to be disposed of according to Your will. Give me only Your love and Your grace; with these I will be rich enough, and will desire nothing more. Amen.

Grant, O Lord, that my heart may neither desire nor seek anything but what is necessary for the fulfillment of Thy holy Will. May health or sickness, riches or poverty, honors or contempt, humiliations, leave my soul in that state of perfect detachment to which I desire to attain for Thy greater honor and Thy greater glory. Amen.

O my God, teach me to be generous:
to serve you as you deserve to be served;
to give without counting the cost;
to fight without fear of being wounded;
to work without seeking rest;
and to spend myself without expecting any reward,
but the knowledge that I am doing your holy will.

:shield: :shield:[size="6"] AMDG[/size] :shield: :shield:

I forgot to wish our own I of L a very happy and blessed birthday!!!! Through the intercession of St Ignatius may you be drawn ever closer to Christ so you may always know, love and fight for Him!

Wanna trade birthdays?? :))

[quote name='vee8' date='31 July 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1280595243' post='2150271']
I forgot to wish our own I of L a very happy and blessed birthday!!!! Through the intercession of St Ignatius may you be drawn ever closer to Christ so you may always know, love and fight for Him!

Wanna trade birthdays?? :))
[/quote]
WOW - It's I of L's birthday today? Cool. Happy Birthday I of L!!!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='31 July 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1280595243' post='2150271']

Wanna trade birthdays?? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/D.gif[/img]
[/quote]

When is your birthday, Vee8? Although if I had your birthday, I'd probably have to become a Carmelite, too, so let me think about it.

When I was a kid, I hated my summer birthday, because all the other kids had birthdays during the school year and got to have parties in class.

But, when I got married, we "imported" a Jesuit priest to perform our wedding (an old friend of my ex's). When I told the priest that my birthday was July 31, he was very happy to hear it. He has the most incredible reverance for Ignatius of Loyola. So, after that, I felt better.

I felt even better when I picked up my first Harry Potter book and found that HIS birthday is also July 31. (July 31 is J.K. Rowling's birthday.)

Personally, I dislike birthdays, so I am just waiting for today to be over.

But thank-you for the birthday greetings! That makes today much better!

P.S. Like St. Ignatius, I am also VERY much a fighter. I've been spending my life trying to tone down my fighting instincts, which is why I have recently embraced "Our Lady of Peace."

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='31 July 2010 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1280597523' post='2150279']
When is your birthday, Vee8? Although if I had your birthday, I'd probably have to become a Carmelite, too, so let me think about it.

When I was a kid, I hated my summer birthday, because all the other kids had birthdays during the school year and got to have parties in class.

But, when I got married, we "imported" a Jesuit priest to perform our wedding (an old friend of my ex's). When I told the priest that my birthday was July 31, he was very happy to hear it. He has the most incredible reverance for Ignatius of Loyola. So, after that, I felt better.

I felt even better when I picked up my first Harry Potter book and found that HIS birthday is also July 31. (July 31 is J.K. Rowling's birthday.)

P.S. Like St. Ignatius, I am also VERY much a fighter. I've been spending my life trying to tone down my fighting instincts, which is why I have recently embraced "Our Lady of Peace."
[/quote]

My birthday is in January, on a Dominican feast day, and I've always wanted a summer birthday so either I trade you or move to the Southern hemisphere :topsy: Ive been hiding from fighting for anything worth fighting for so I think Ignatius is giving me a little shove in the get off my lazy butt direction. I have ancestors who were soldiers in the French army so there's a fighting spirit hiding somewhere in me and Ignatius seems to unlock it.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='31 July 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1280597523' post='2150279']

[b]When I was a kid, I hated my summer birthday, because all the other kids had birthdays during the school year and got to have parties in class.[/b]

[/quote]

I felt the EXACT same way about my birthday, too, Iggy! Now, however, school starts earlier in these parts -- like, next week! :o

I've never really liked the added attention of birthdays... my preference is just having a few close friends over, eating cake and ice cream, and watching a movie. Low key. Or sometimes I like to take my friends out to dinner for my birthday. I guess I'm kind of hobbit-y in that way. I'd give other people presents on my birthday instead of receiving them. :sweat:

Buuut, if I shared my birthday with one of my favorite saints -- like Ignatius of Loyola :love: :sword: -- then I'd gather people together to celebrate his feast day instead! ;)

I'm going to make a homemade yellow cake from scratch to celebrate. :woot: I will be sure to eat a piece for you, Iggy! :eat:

laetitia crucis

Just because I love St. Ignatius so. :cloud9:

[quote]

[b]The First Principle and Foundation[/b]

The goal of our life is to live with God forever. God who loves us, gave us life. Our own response of love allows God's life to flow into us without limit.

All the things in this world are gifts of God, presented to us so that we can know God more easily and make a return of love more readily.

As a result, we appreciate and use all of these gifts of God insofar as they help us develop as loving persons. But if any of these gifts become the center of our lives, they displace God and so hinder our growth toward our goal. In everyday life, then, we must hold ourselves in balance before all of these created gifts insofar as we have a choice and are not bound by some obligation. We should not fix our desires on health or sickness, wealth or poverty, success or failure, a long life or a short one. For everything has the potential of calling forth in us a deeper response to our life in God.

Our only desire and our one choice should be this: I want and I choose what better leads to the deepening of God's life in me.

- St. Ignatius Loyola, [i]Spiritual Exercises[/i]
[/quote]

There will be a program about him on ewtn in less than an hour so 5pm pacific 8pm eastern 7pm central. It can be watched directly from ewtn.com

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='31 July 2010 - 05:41 PM' timestamp='1280616086' post='2150367']
Just because I love St. Ignatius so. :cloud9:
[/quote]

*happy sigh* :love:

Heh well I didn't know the program was a movie. Maybe others might like it but after the first ten minutes I gave up watching, it's like a bad highschool play imo.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='31 July 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1280621672' post='2150376']
Heh well I didn't know the program was a movie. Maybe others might like it but [b]after the first ten minutes I gave up watching[/b], it's like a bad highschool play imo.
[/quote]

Ditto, vee! :sweat: