An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suicide, Self Harm And Catholocism

Fragments

First note: This is not applicable to me at this time, I am safe etc however I am interested.

What is the exact teaching about suicide in particular, I mean, obviously it's a bad thing. (Captain obvious) Is attempted suicide treated as attempted murder and treated by the Church as such or is there some lenience if the person has a diagnosed mental health issue? I've read several quotes from The Bible relating to suicide but I've never really recieved a full answer as to what actually happens practically.

The same goes for self harm, with almost the same question, what sort of sin is it? What does it come under? And how is it dealt with in general?

Please be nice! I'm still very clueless about Catholic teaching.

[quote name='Fragments' date='06 August 2010 - 05:27 AM' timestamp='1281086874' post='2153192']
First note: This is not applicable to me at this time, I am safe etc however I am interested.

What is the exact teaching about suicide in particular, I mean, obviously it's a bad thing. (Captain obvious) Is attempted suicide treated as attempted murder and treated by the Church as such or is there some lenience if the person has a diagnosed mental health issue? I've read several quotes from The Bible relating to suicide but I've never really recieved a full answer as to what actually happens practically.

The same goes for self harm, with almost the same question, what sort of sin is it? What does it come under? And how is it dealt with in general?

Please be nice! I'm still very clueless about Catholic teaching.
[/quote]

Well first off thanks for asking questions. Its ALWAYS nice when someone wants to know more about the Catholic faith. First of all the teachings of the Church with regards to suicide can be summed up here

[quote][b][url="javascript:openWindow("]2280[/url][/b] Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

[b][url="javascript:openWindow("]2281[/b] Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

[/url][b][url="javascript:openWindow("]2282[/b] If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

[b]Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicid[/b]e.

[/url][b]<a href="javascript:openWindow('cr/2283.htm');">2283[/b] [b]We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives.[/b] By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

[/quote]

Now the same can be said for attempted suicide. Is it a bad thing? Absolutely. But as we have learned more about psychology, we've learned that intent can be impeded by the state of mind of the individual. This can be said for other dysfunctional habits as well that are harmful to the individual. Actions like cutting, drug use, sexual promiscuity are all dangerous and sinful behaviors. However (like attempted suicide) there are times when these actions are a result of a traumatic event in the person's life that hasn't been resolved. The pain from this event is causing the person to punish themselves and the Church would take that into account.

Its important to remember that the primary reason the Church was instituted by Christ was to promote healing, not punishment. We do not need the Church to be punished, we need the Church to heal our wounds.

I wanted to add something I read a few days ago. It was a study of people who had attempted suicide by jumping from high places like buildings or bridges. Every single one of them regretted jumping after the jump but before hitting the ground/water. One of the reasons the Church has softened its understanding about suicides is as hot stuff said, our more mature understanding of psychology. It is also because there is simply no way we can know who repented after taking the action to commit suicide.

We can't know what is in another person's heart. We can't know what internal demons they were dealing with. Making a decision about who is entitled to receive a full Catholic funeral is left in the hands of pastors and their bishops, relying on their wisdom, charity and compassion. That's a huge responsibility that I am glad I don't have.