An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Jesuit Spirituality

Tridenteen

JMJ
anything. everything. please tell me [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

laetitia crucis

From my understanding of it (which really isn't all that much, I suppose :sweat: ), I would say Jesuit spirituality is very much about giving each and every moment "for the greater glory of God". Making a [i]conscientious choice[/i] to do that which will give [i]greater[/i] glory to God.

What is the best way we can give God the greater glory? [b]By imitating Jesus Christ[/b]. I would think this is the core aim of Jesuit spirituality. (In fact, Thomas a Kempis' [i]The Imitation of Christ[/i] was a book Ignatius was a great inspiration to him, something that he constantly carried with him wherever he went. ^_^ )

:think:

Hmmm... I think it would also include various tangible practices, like the [url="http://www.ccel.org/ccel/ignatius/exercises.html"]Spiritual Exercises[/url], the [url="http://ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-examen/"]Daily Examen[/url], and (my favorite bit) the [url="http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Christian_Spirituality/Christian_Spirituality_030.htm"]Discernment of Spirits[/url].

I think this pretty much sums up "Jesuit Spirituality" -- from Ignatius' [i]Spiritual Exercises[/i]:

[quote]
[b]The First Principle and Foundation[/b]

The goal of our life is to live with God forever. God who loves us, gave us life. Our own response of love allows God's life to flow into us without limit.

All the things in this world are gifts of God, presented to us so that we can know God more easily and make a return of love more readily.

As a result, we appreciate and use all of these gifts of God insofar as they help us develop as loving persons. But if any of these gifts become the center of our lives, they displace God and so hinder our growth toward our goal. In everyday life, then, we must hold ourselves in balance before all of these created gifts insofar as we have a choice and are not bound by some obligation. We should not fix our desires on health or sickness, wealth or poverty, success or failure, a long life or a short one. For everything has the potential of calling forth in us a deeper response to our life in God.

Our only desire and our one choice should be this: I want and I choose what better leads to the deepening of God's life in me.[/quote]

I have that makes sense and helps. :sweat:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='11 August 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1281576788' post='2156239']
JMJ
Is there a rule? IE rule of St.Dominic?
[/quote]

I'm not really sure, though I do know they have their own Constitutions.

:scratchhead:

I mean, even Dominicans follow the Rule of St. Augustine [i]in addition to[/i] their own set of Constitutions for their particular community. Hmmmm... this is a question I'm now curious about, too!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='11 August 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1281577964' post='2156250']
I'm not really sure, though I do know they have their own Constitutions.

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_head.gif[/img]

I mean, even Dominicans follow the Rule of St. Augustine [i]in addition to[/i] their own set of Constitutions for their particular community. Hmmmm... this is a question I'm now curious about, too!
[/quote]

Considering my screen name, I am embarrassingly ignorant about the Jesuits. Here is a link to a short article from the Catholic Encyclopedia. From a quick scan, it looks as if their rule came primarily from St. Ignatius of Loyola. Surprise. Surprise.

One interesting thing I read somewhere else was that, although in the past Jesuits wore cassocks, their rule has been to wear the clothes of the time. So, with a few exceptions, nowadays they rarely wear habits, but almost always wear essentially lay clothing (except for a collar for priests). (And, obviously, they wear vestments when performing Mass.) I also know, from talking with the Jesuit priest who performed my wedding, that community is VERY important to them, as is poverty. He said he literally owned nothing. I forget whether he said he even owned his watch or not. And, obviously, they place a great deal of importance on education--both for themselves, and for others, and on making converts.

Here's the link to the article:

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14081a.htm"]http://www.newadvent...then/14081a.htm[/url]

I found the article very interesting. One of the most impressive things I found about the priest who performed my wedding was how humble he was. He was a professor at a major university (Georgetown at the time), but had none of the "show-off" attitude seen in so many professors. It was also impressive to me that he obviously LOVED being a Jesuit and was devoted to the Order. When he heard that my birthday was the feast of St. Ignatius of Loyola, he was very excited about that. Obviously, he had incredible devotion to St. Ignatius.

Looking at their article, the rules of the order seem somewhat unique, even if they share similar vows with other Orders. I liked the rule that everyone is equal in terms of living conditions, etc. Also, and I remember this from when I met the Jesuit priest, it takes a LONG time before they become a full member of the Order.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='11 August 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1281579392' post='2156284']

Looking at their article, the rules of the order seem somewhat unique, even if they share similar vows with other Orders. I liked the rule that everyone is equal in terms of living conditions, etc. [b]Also, and I remember this from when I met the Jesuit priest, it takes a LONG time before they become a full member of the Order.[/b]
[/quote]

This last bit I've heard, too! While en route to World Youth Day, I met an awesome Jesuit priest at the airport and told him about my friend that (at the time) was a Jesuit Novice preparing for his vows.

I asked him about the vows because on my friend's Profession invitation it said, "[b]Perpetual[/b] Vows". How he explained it was kind of confusing to me, but what I got from it was this:

- First Vows are "Perpetual"; however, not perpetually binding. A Jesuit professes his temporary vows only once with his intention to stay a Jesuit forever.
- The "real" Perpetual Vows occur after SEVERAL years when [i]the Order[/i] discerns you have a true Jesuit vocation. Kind of like the final "stamp of approval", so to say.

And I believe it takes something like 13 years to become a priest.

Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. :sweat:

Hmmmm... perhaps I should write a little note to my (now professed) friend asking how all of this works. I've been curious.

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='12 August 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1281585765' post='2156319']
Pick up The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything.
[/quote]
I saw that at barnes and noble the other day and [i]almost[/i] bought it. almost.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='11 August 2010 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1281586460' post='2156320']
JMJ
Ahhhhh...so we are talking Ignatian spirituality?
[/quote]

Definitely. St. Ignatius of Loyola not only founded the Order, but he wrote a lot of its constitution and rules, and his spiritual exercises an integral part of a Jesuit's ongoing formation.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='11 August 2010 - 10:14 PM' timestamp='1281582870' post='2156308']
This last bit I've heard, too! While en route to World Youth Day, I met an awesome Jesuit priest at the airport and told him about my friend that (at the time) was a Jesuit Novice preparing for his vows.

I asked him about the vows because on my friend's Profession invitation it said, "[b]Perpetual[/b] Vows". How he explained it was kind of confusing to me, but what I got from it was this:

- First Vows are "Perpetual"; however, not perpetually binding. A Jesuit professes his temporary vows only once with his intention to stay a Jesuit forever.
- The "real" Perpetual Vows occur after SEVERAL years when [i]the Order[/i] discerns you have a true Jesuit vocation. Kind of like the final "stamp of approval", so to say.

And I believe it takes something like 13 years to become a priest.

Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img]

Hmmmm... perhaps I should write a little note to my (now professed) friend asking how all of this works. I've been curious.
[/quote]

One small thing--the Catholic Encyclopedia article makes it sounds as if there is one year of novitiate AFTER a Jesuit is ordained a priest. And, one of the requirements for final acceptance is that he pass the exam for Doctor of Theology. Whoa!

FYI--Here is a link to the homepage for the U.S. Jesuits. [url="http://www.jesuit.org/"]http://www.jesuit.org/[/url] It contains a short explanation of the formation process.

If I had to sum up Jesuit/Ignatian spirituality briefly, I'd say it goes back to 'The unexamined life is not worth living.' Meaning, whatever we are doing now, we should stop and take stock and evaluate. They aren't the only order to have a daily Examen, of course, but that just fits in so well with their character. The [i]Spiritual Exercises[/i] are fairly unique to Ignatius (he wrote them after all!)

What they are known for, perhaps, are their studies - most all Jesuits are extremely well educated, and not just in the field of theology. And, of course, their order is unique for not having any lay brothers (they're all priests) and not having any female counterparts or sister orders. Jesuits-in-training are called 'scholastics', which I guess reveals this emphasis on education.

I second the recommendation of "The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything."

But the two big phrases describing Jesuit/Ignatian spirituality are "finding God in all things" and "contemplatives in action."

So, traditionally in the monasteries you say the LIturgy of the Hours together in community. Which means you need to be in the same place at the same time every three hours or so.

No no no no no, Ignatius said. That will SERIOUSLY cramp our style. (Not exactly his words, granted, but that's the idea.) We're supposed to be engaged with the world. Say the Divine Office on your own, wherever you are at the time. And if you're busy and don't get to it sometimes, that's okay too.

BUT Ignatius says, whatever else you skip, DON'T skip the Examen. Twice a day, take time to pray through the events of your day and be looking for how God is speaking to you through all the activities of life.

I've heard this described as "God is trying to reach us all the time, but usually God gets our voice mail. The Examen is checking your messages." Again, not exactly Ignatius's language, but very much his ideas.

The spirituality of the Desert Fathers, which developed into the monastic tradition, is fundamentally about withdrawing from the world in order to be more fully present to God. In different traditions that separation is more or less extreme (it means something different for Benedictines than for Carmelites, for instance) but that is the basic posture. Ignatian spirituality is fundamentally different. Ignatian spirituality is very contemplative, and places a lot of value on retreats, etc., but you don't stay there. It's always pointed towards coming back to the world and re-engaging with the world. You don't withdraw from the busy-ness of life in order to find God, but find God precisely within the busy-ness of life.

Link to video: [url=http://vimeo.com/11084814]What is Jesuit Spirituality?[/url]

Here's a Jesuit explaining the spirituality of his order in 4 minutes. :) His ministry is with ex-gang members in LA(though he doesn't mention that here). He touches on the 'Finding God in All Things' concept as well as the centrality of the Spiritual exercises. Oh, and it took 12 years between when he entered the order and when he was ordained a priest.

Edited by MithLuin