An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Anya's Phriends

brightsadness

brightsadness

Dear Phatmass Phriends,

Our daughter, Anya (bright sadness), entered the Monastery of the Basilian Nuns yesterday. She was unable to get a last message to you and so asked me to post for her. Anya asked me to share with you, as a mother, how the experience of her vocation has been for me. She also told me not to worry about hurting her feelings as she will not be able to read this. That is ANYA. The soul of tactless. How we miss her already! And how profound is our joy that Our Lord has given her and us the privilege of her vocation.

You will want to know about the entrance so I will start there. Anya was received into the Monastery in a quiet ceremony before the Divine Liturgy for the Dormition. She spent Saturday afternoon with the Mother Superior and in quiet retreat preparing for her entrance. We stayed as monastery guests also, but did not see Anya until the cermony Sunday morning. Just before the beginning of the liturgy, Anya, dressed in postulant robes but without the veil and cross, approached the Holy Ikons with Mother Superior. The Bishop who is responsible for the monastery and Anya's Spiritual Father prayed and blessed her and the veil and cross. Mother Superior put them on her and a prayer was said for her perseverance. The Nuns embraced her as did the clergy and family and then the liturgy began. Afterwards there was trapeza (big meal) for all and after brief goodbyes we left. I had to drive as my husband was too emotional. You daughters hold your fathers' hearts in your hands.

We took many pictures and if Mother Superior allows it, I'll post a few for you later.

So, I see how young most of you are. I hope you forgive me when I say that I never thought my youngest, most indulged child and only girl would ever choose something as difficult as a nun's life. Something happened to Anya when she heard the call of the Lord. It was small and it was huge. And we all saw her change. We saw our brilliant, pretty, quick tempered, loving and much too self assured daughter become a listener, a questioner, and for a time heartbreakingly unsure of herself and insecure about what life was asking of her. I think of this as her chrysalis phase. But slowly the chrysalis became the wet, weak, newly hatched butterfly that clung to tthe branch that bore her and fed from it. Prayer and study, spiritual things and volunteering for all she could, became her way. And when she came home from the first visit to the Monastery, she didn't have stars in her eyes; she had Flames.

This was perhaps the most difficult time for her father and me. For it was clear that she had already left us. And we felt left out of her dreams and her future. For you see, we too had to grow and answer the Lord's Call to us to give with open hands and heart. That was the gift Anya asked of us and we begged from God and yesterday it was given

My butterfly unfurled her wings and flew into the cloister garden.

I ask your prayers for her and us.

Anya's mom,
Yelena Classen

laetitia crucis

Thank you, so, so very much for this, Mrs. Classen.

May God and our Blessed Mother grant many blessings to your family for this most precious sacrifice.

Be assured of my prayers for your daughter and for your family.

Dear Mrs Classen,

It is a truly wonderful surprise that your daughter allowed you to use her account to write to us and a most beautiful post at that! I will keep you, your family, and your daughter, in my prayers and please ask her to pray for us too.

dominicansoul

this is too beautiful, and no response I could ever think of can describe what it did for me!

Thank you Mrs. Classen!

Mrs. Classen,

Your post was so beautifully generous and moving. I am sure God will abundantly bless you for the trust you are showing at this moment, and for the loving way you have re-gifted him with his gift to you.

I will pray for Anya's intention, and that she will soon have company in her novitiate.

And I can't wait to see the pictures!

TeresaBenedicta

I cannot thank you enough for this beautiful reflection! I don't know what else to say. Thank you so much and please know of my prayers for your family.

Thank you so much for sharng about Anya's entance!! It's so beautiful to hear how happy you and your husband are for her, and how blessed you know yourselves to be! And in giving such a great gift as a daughter I know that comes with great trails too so be assured that I am keeping all of you in my prayers!

And please, keep my mom and my family in yours, as I am soon to undergo the same thing!

[quote name='JTheresa' timestamp='1282020409' post='2158732']
Thank you so much for sharng about Anya's entance!! It's so beautiful to hear how happy you and your husband are for her, and how blessed you know yourselves to be! And in giving such a great gift as a daughter I know that comes with great trails too so be assured that I am keeping all of you in my prayers!

And please, keep my mom and my family in yours, as I am soon to undergo the same thing!
[/quote]

JTheresa, will you also be entering an Eastern Rite order?