An Old School Catholic Message Board

Long Lives In Religion

DameAgnes

http://www.monialesop.org/2010/08/sr-mary-anthony-of-precious-blood-op.html

http://stwalburga.blogspot.com/2010/08/remembering-sr-angelika.html

TeresaBenedicta

Beautiful.

I love hearing of women who have lived so many years as religious. I'd love to speak with some of them someday!!

Just my laywoman opinion here, and is not a criticism of the newer, emerging communities, but these elder sisters are usually found only in well established communities. They are real treasures! I remember something PM'er Sister Mariana from the Sisters of St. Francis said before she entered. One of the many reasons she was attracted to her community was the fact that there were elder sisters who encouraged the others by sharing from their long experience in religious life. I'm always delighted to see renewed interest in good communities that have this wealth of experience.
Rest in peace, Sisters.

[quote name='stlmom' timestamp='1282481933' post='2161383']
Just my laywoman opinion here, and is not a criticism of the newer, emerging communities, but these elder sisters are usually found only in well established communities. They are real treasures! I remember something PM'er Sister Mariana from the Sisters of St. Francis said before she entered. One of the many reasons she was attracted to her community was the fact that there were elder sisters who encouraged the others by sharing from their long experience in religious life. I'm always delighted to see renewed interest in good communities that have this wealth of experience.
Rest in peace, Sisters.
[/quote]

There may be something to be said for that, StLMom; both of these communities, in Colorado and New Jersey have full (and seemingly successful) novitiates and the older sisters interact a great deal with the younger. See here:

http://www.time.com/time/audioslide/0,32187,1873724,00.html

[quote name='stlmom' timestamp='' post='']
Rest in peace, Sisters.
[/quote]

:yes:
That was one of the big reasons that I felt so comfortable with this community. If wasn't that I didn't trust the newer communitites, but I'm definitely not your "average" discerner. I have a lot of things in my past, esp in my family life, that might make religious life a little more difficult for me than for some other people who grew up in normal families. I didn't want to enter a newer community and have me be their first time forming a girl wih a family history like mine. But a community that's been around for over a hundred years has surely delt with cases like mine, if not worse. :))
Plus, I had heard tons of stories of religious communities that were on the fence and then took a turn for the worse. I figured that any community that survived WWII in Germany, the 60s in America, and Vatican II, was still strong in the faith and loyal to the magiesterium, AND wore a habit, could handle just about anything!

Looking at Sr. M. Anthony's pic, I note that for 66 years in religion, she appears to have no wrinkles.

Religious life: it's good for your skin! :lol_pound:

Edited by DameAgnes

[quote name='JTheresa' timestamp='1282567666' post='2161960']

Plus, I had heard tons of stories of religious communities that were on the fence and then took a turn for the worse. I figured that any community that survived WWII in Germany, the 60s in America, and Vatican II, was still strong in the faith and loyal to the magiesterium, AND wore a habit, could handle just about anything!
[/quote]

That's how I see it. I hope for new vocations to all those communities :nun: .

IgnatiusofLoyola

This reminds me of a picture I recently found from the convent of retired Sisters that live across the street from me. Last spring, they had a Jubilee celebration for six or seven Sisters. The YOUNGEST was having her 65th Jubilee, and at least one (maybe more) was having her 75th!

I thought my buddy might be in the picture, but I think she's only at her 62nd Jubilee (give or take a year or two) so she was too young!

I love it! They are clearly doing something right. It also made me feel good that the Sisters are obviously well cared for.

[quote name='elizabeth09' timestamp='1282617301' post='2162309']
May the Souls of the deported, throw the Mercy of God, Rest in Peace.
[/quote]

:idontknow:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='elizabeth09' timestamp='1282617301' post='2162309']
May the Souls of the deported, throw the Mercy of God, Rest in Peace.
[/quote]

[quote name='stlmom' timestamp='1282653551' post='2162411']
:idontknow:
[/quote]

Perhaps that is a prayer they are using in Catholic churches in Arizona. (I still have no emos, so all I can say is LOL!)

The Summit Nuns have written a little more about Sr. Mary Anthony

http://www.monialesop.org/2010/08/may-angels-lead-you-into-paradise.html

[quote name='DameAgnes' timestamp='1282579547' post='2162029']
Looking at Sr. M. Anthony's pic, I note that for 66 years in religion, she appears to have no wrinkles.

Religious life: it's good for your skin! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_pound.gif[/img]
[/quote]

While I heartily agree that religious life is good for your skin, I have to remind you that the pictures are not recent ones. If I am not mistaken, they are from 1993 and 1995 respectively.

The top three things that make women wrinkle are: smoking, make-up, tanning. The top three things to keeping a youthful appearance: holiness, love, and joy. (Spread the secret!)