MIKolbe Posted August 27, 2010 Posted August 27, 2010 [quote name='ortus' timestamp='1282867210' post='2163737'] I have been pretty busy since I made the initial post or else I would have responded to your very reasonable question sooner. If you do not mind I will also try to incorporate my response to some of the other replies at the same time but that means my response will be quite lengthy.[/quote] I understand [quote]I deliberately did not cite specific examples of the more extreme examples of anti-Islamic posts because I did not want to identify individual Posters - that could easily be misconstrued as a personal attack. You may disagree with my decision but it seems the right approach to me. When I have time I may well take up Dust’s suggestion and go through the posts dealing with Islam or muslims and use the report button. However this would entail trawling through a myriad of posts and that’s not counting the large number of topics that are temporarily ‘hijacked’ in order to make some quick passing jibe at Islam.[/quote] Well, that's regrettable. You make accusations, quite serious ones; and then you are concerned if you name names people might get upset? I think it would serve you very well to take dUSt's suggestions. And honestly, I reall don't care how long it takes you, or how much work it will take going through the myriad of posts. If you make an accusation like that, be prepared to back it up, or be prepared to make a retraction. It's really that simple. [quote]In all honesty, I am a little surprised that you have to ask me for examples of extreme anti-Islamic comments on this site because they are so obvious. Perhaps that is the problem, the whole discussion of Islam is conducted in such a negative way (I would describe it as a fog of toxicity) that the most outlandish comments appear normal within this context. [/quote] Ortus- I am not doing your work for you. You can't usde the 'oh, it's SOO obvious' argument. You made pretty specific accusations; find pretty specific proof. Please spare me the fogs-of-toxicity and outlandishments, and get the proof; or retract. [quote]An example of this is the assertion that Muslims worship Satan. You will not need me to point you to examples[/quote] Um Yes, Yes I will. Please. [quote]The main purpose of my post was because some of the more extreme posts would be seen as contrary to the law of the UK because of their Islamophobia. I would invite people from the UK to look through the topics about Islam and then think where in contemporary British society do you hear this kind of argument and this tone of hostility.[/quote] and I am inviting you to follow dUSt's suggestion. [quote]As an American who has lived in England for quite a few years, I am a little bemused by the passing jibes about the UK that people have posted. They remind me of conversations with relatives of mine who have never even left the County, let alone the State, they were born in. I can only assume they were meant to be jokes or they were made by people whose only experience of England is the transfer lounge at Heathrow Airport. [/quote] Sometimes, jokes are jokes. Perhaps the skin is thinner over the pond, I am unsure. In the end, produce evidence or apologize in full. This thread is closed. Pax- Jason
Recommended Posts