An Old School Catholic Message Board

Men Entering Religious Life

Micah

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='Micah' timestamp='1282968660' post='2164393']
What is the average age of discernment? Thanks
[/quote]

To be honest, I'm not quite sure. Being in college I know a lot of college aged men who are discerning the religious life. Our school, which has had a "nun-run" for many years actually just started a corresponding "monk run" where men visit several monasteries, abbeys, priories, etc...to get a taste of the religious life. Also, there is a Benedictine Abbey at my school and of the four men in formation right now, I'd say they are all in their twenties.

This is by no means the average though, just my own observations.

Are you starting/thinking/praying about discernment by the way?

Under Mary's Mantle,
Lauren

I'm not sure yet. I still can't figure out if my priorities are in the right place, but if I'm thinking about my priorities when it comes to discerning religious life, then I guess that's discerning religious life. I really fear that I won't be able to live without female companionship. Not sexual or anything, just companionship, but I don't know if I have what it takes for marriage either. On the other hand, I'm more afraid my life won't have any purpose. I used to measure my life in terms of grades, acceptance, honours, but at the end of the day that's just paper. I want to help people and stay focused on Christ every day. But I have student loans, and I worry that I'll have to give up my music and my books and coffee and friends and life, so I can't be that serious right. I dunno. It's complicated. :l

Edited by Micah

The best advice I could give you, and I learned this through my own experience, is to focus on growing closer in your personal relationship with Jesus. Keep up personal prayer and adoration, and try to live more faithfully, with more silence. You will definitely learn to better hear God, and learn what you are called to. You'll grow in desire for your calling, and being deeper in love with God, the issues you've been having trouble with will be a thing of the past because you'll just be concerned with giving your life to God and getting closer to Him.

Thanks joyful. i'll keep praying and reading my Bible. This semester is going to be a test. I've been getting more centred spiritually, and school always throws a wrench in it.

Ephrem Augustine

18-25 makes a lot of sense, and it is becoming more common these days.

I started discerning at 17, and joined at 22.

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' timestamp='1283020261' post='2164585']

[/quote]

wow God bless you man. Takes a lot of faith and dedication for a young guy.

[quote name='Micah' timestamp='1282968660' post='2164393']
What is the average age of discernment? Thanks [/quote]

Funny you should ask that....

I just ran across this discernment reflection from a priest in a male religious community: [url=http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_X_-_Age_Discrimination.html]Age Discrimination[/url]

It seems his thoughts are that any age is a good age, if you are open to formation, and in that case....the sooner the better!

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' timestamp='1283020261' post='2164585']

[/quote]

I started to discern at 17 also, then joined at 20. Which community are you with?

• 2 weeks later...
IrishSalesian

[quote name='Micah' timestamp='1283049472' post='2164744']
Thanks Mith, I'm going to read that article. Could one of you guys give me an idea of what your day is like?
[/quote]

I am a novice with the Salesians. My day starts at 6:30am Mass. 7:00 Meditation, 7:30 Morning Prayer. Breakfast from 7:45-8:05(ish) Chores immdediatley follow breakfast. 9-12pm is time for classes. On Mon, Wed, & Fri, I have apostolic activities from 12:15-2:30pm. On tuesday and thursday i have conferences on different topics. From 2:45-4pm is study time. From 4-5pm is Evening Prayer. Dinner at 5:30pm. Rosary at 7pm. Study time 7:30-8:30. 8:50pm Benediction followed by Night Prayer. Free time from 9-10. Retire to room at 10pm.

DISCLAIMER: I am not part of a monastic order. I am a Salesian of Don Bosco.

Hope this helps...