An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dmme New Postulants

franciscanlady

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1283134549' post='2165208']
LOL!! And all this time, when two people were talking of being stalked by her, I thought they meant a poster on the forum! lol
[/quote]

hahahaha ooops! Ya we definitely meant the saint not a phatmasser

Amor vincit omnia

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1283134549' post='2165208']
LOL!! And all this time, when two people were talking of being stalked by her, I thought they meant a poster on the forum! lol
[/quote]

Can I just say that I giggled outloud at work and I got some funny stares while reading this lol yes TofA is Teresita of Avila and she stalks me and some other on here hahahah

Bump-- they added the apsirants' vocation stories to their website :) [url="http://sistersofmary.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78&Itemid=137"]My link[/url]

Edited by Caritas

[quote name='Caritas' timestamp='1283377968' post='2166568']
Bump-- they added the apsirants' vocation stories to their website :) [url="http://sistersofmary.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78&Itemid=137"]My link[/url]
[/quote]

:yahoo:

I love reading vocation stories! :clapping:

Most of those girls seem very young - many right out of high school. IMHO, I don't think communities should accept anyone under 21. Yes,I know, St. Therese was 15 but times were different - less opportunities for women, fewer distractions and tempations. Let's see how many make it to clothing. And one question - I know the college-age postulants in Nashville attned the sisters college, Aquinas, which is next to the motherhouse. Do the DSSME postulants attend college? If so, where? And that prompts another more general question. Do all postulants (DSMME and Nashvilee and any others you know of) also take college classes? what about peope like me who already have advanced degrees? I teach junior college accounting classes but I don't have education credits. Would I go to college for those? I wonder.

Kat

Edited by ksterling

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1283444007' post='2166991']
Most of those girls seem very young - many right out of high school. IMHO, I don't think communities should accept anyone under 21. Yes,I know, St. Therese was 15 but times were different - less opportunities for women, fewer distractions and tempations. Let's see how many make it to clothing. And one question - I know the college-age postulants in Nashville attned the sisters college, Aquinas, which is next to the motherhouse. Do the DSSME postulants attend college? If so, where? And that prompts another more general question. Do all postulants (DSMME and Nashvilee and any others you know of) also take college classes? what about peope like me who already have advanced degrees? I teach junior college accounting classes but I don't have education credits. Would I go to college for those? I wonder.

Kat
[/quote]

Yes, many are right out of high school-- one even said she was 16 when she applied earlier in the year!! Whether that is a good or a bad thing, I don't know. I do think that in general girls today are much more immature than in St. Therese's time. However, I suppose these things must be done on a case-by-case basis. Either way, it is heartening to see so many young girls making these choices.

I don't believe the DSSME postulants attend college-- I think they just take classes at the motherhouse and then later (after the novitiate, I would assume) take classes at a college if need be.

Edited by Caritas

Indwelling Trinity

According to canon law no novice may leave the premisis for the canonical year It i suposed to be a contemplaive year crucial to formation.. If the DSSME do go to school they must either be second year novices or simply professed. As for age many will not rmain until final vows but that doent mean it wasnt God's will for them to be there. God's ways are not ours. He chooses how to bring us to himself.:blowkiss:

Kat
[/quote]

It is a great grace to live in a religious community even for a short period of time. The fact that this community is willing to allow many people to try the life is a gift to the persons who request to enter, and to the Christian community at large.

I personally believe that there should be a way in which people can live in a monastery for extended periods of time without pursuing a life vocation to the hosting religious community, but rather, just in order to deepen and develop their own spiritual-contemplative life and become more discerning and attuned with their personal vocation wherever and whatever that is. That I know, this doesn't exist, but it might in the future [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/soccer.gif[/img].

These DSMME Sisters, and other communities like them provide a great service to people with their openness. I know an active missionary Congregation that was for about 50 years in some African country and didn't have more than a dozen perpetually professed Sisters that persevered over the years -this due to the great turmoil of the country, cultural things, etc. etc. Well, that community kept investing on large groups in formation -novitiate and temporary vows- knowing that the Sister didn't seem to persevere. But they formed dozens and dozens of women who became mothers in a family and raised children with values and experiences that would have been out of their possibilities. This congregation was committed to investing in formation of future members as a missionary service to the Church in that country even though it was a major investment of means and resources that seemed to go "nowhere" if they looked at the lack of growth in their numbers.

As a hermit I serve my Diocese as spiritual director and retreat director. It is absolutely incredible how powerful this ministry is. God is so present and active in people's lives. But often retreats are not accessible to people because they are expensive, you have to pay for your lodging, you don't work during that time, pay for the director of the program etc. etc. All this means that most people can't have access to regular retreats, which are so very important in the development of our spiritual lives.

In a way entering into a community is kind of like entering into a prolonged retreat -or should be. There is no problem whatsoever with the fact that the person leaves after a number of months or years, especially before final vows. The process was created just for that in the first place.

Just my two cents on this topic which is coming up repeatedly.
Peace!

franciscanlady

Do the DSSME postulants attend college? If so, where? And that prompts another more general question. Do all postulants (DSMME and Nashvilee and any others you know of) also take college classes? what about peope like me who already have advanced degrees? I teach junior college accounting classes but I don't have education credits. Would I go to college for those? I wonder.

Kat
[/quote]

Those who enter are not able to take classes toward a degree until they make temporary vows. Everything before is focused on formation. They all become teachers so I am sure that most have to start at the beginning, and those with some college continue their courses. Because they teach in Catholic schools, the certification requirements are not the same as public schools. This means your experience may be good enough to get you teaching. I also did hear of one sister there being allowed to continue her studies to get a PhD in electrical engineering.

[url="http://sistersofmary.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=179:our-new-dominican-doctor&catid=12:news&Itemid=147"]Dominican Doctor[/url]

TeresaBenedicta

I think young vocations are wonderful. How beautiful to see such a good desire in a young woman. Should we say to her, "No, do not pursue this good. We must taint your goodness first, let you experience the temptations of the world, then let you decide." I hope not!

I don't think that "young" vocations leave at a higher rate than those who have had college or life experience. Sure, they may have to struggle with different sorts of temptations and struggles... but everyone who enters struggles to some extent or another.