Sarah147 Posted August 30, 2010 Posted August 30, 2010 Hello, I've noticed some different responses from people about their religion, and I found it interesting. I've been wondering what the survey is for this forum. So, please, join in on the survey. This is a private poll, so it won't say the screenname of the people that vote. But it would be great if you posted about your selections. This should be interesting, even though I expect 90-something percent to be Catholic. Of those that are not Catholic, would you consider yourselves "interested in the Catholic Faith," "not interested," or "unsure"? God bless you.
eustace scrubb Posted August 30, 2010 Posted August 30, 2010 RCIA, Convert (obviously), and Charismatic Catholic. Most accurate for me, though, would be "Somewhere between a prayer rope and a rosary"...
Hilde Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 1. RCIA 2.resigned membership with the Church of Norway i.e non-denominational though I hang out with the Catholics. 3.Does not apply
Hilde Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 [quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1283212856' post='2165680'] what is a cradle Catholic? [/quote] Been Catholic from the cradle. Like baptism and first communion and all that jazz.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 (edited) [quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1283212229' post='2165672'] Hello, I've noticed some different responses from people about their religion, and I found it interesting. I've been wondering what the survey is for this forum. So, please, join in on the survey. This is a private poll, so it won't say the screenname of the people that vote. But it would be great if you posted about your selections. This should be interesting, even though I expect 90-something percent to be Catholic. Of those that are not Catholic, would you consider yourselves "interested in the Catholic Faith," "not interested," or "unsure"? God bless you. [/quote] My story is that I first posted on Phatmass several month ago to ask a question about the Catholic marriage annulment process (I was married to a Catholic, but we divorced a number of years ago). After hanging around for awhile, I realized that I liked a lot of the people, and enjoyed learning about the Catholic faith, and I'm still here. I list my religion on my profile as Anglo-Catholic, because that description comes as close to my beliefs as anything else. But, for a number of reasons, including health issues that make it extremely difficult, I have not actively attended services of any religious faith for a number of years. Also, for various reasons, I have always had a great interest in Religious Sisters and nuns (personally I blame "The Trouble with Angels" LOL), which is why you often see me posting in Vocation Station. However, it's pretty clear that I am not called to the full-time religious life (for health reasons, if nothing else). But, I am very supportive of those who are called, and have designated myself as one of Vocation Station's "cheerleaders" for others who are pursuing Religious vocations. As for whether I would say I am "interested in the Catholic faith"--meaning interested in becoming Catholic, I would answer that by saying, "Ask God, because it's not clear to me yet." However, although I am not Catholic, I have the greatest respect for the Catholic faith and am always interested in learning more about Catholicism. Sometimes people find that confusing, and wonder why a person who has interest and the greatest respect for Catholicism isn't a Catholic herself. My answer to that is that, at least for me, things just aren't that straightforward. But, God and I are working on it. Where it will lead is up to God. One lesson I HAVE learned in my life is that if I am stubborn enough to ignore God, he is willing to go to great lengths to get my attention. Since I am VERY stubborn, over the past several years, God has overturned pretty much everything in my life and everything I expected for the future. God has now gotten my attention. As for what happens next, I don't know where it will lead, but, knowing me, between my stubbornness and the fact that I can sometimes be totally clueless, the process will probably take awhile. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. I could have given a much longer explanation, but most people on Phatmass have already been patient enough to listen to my "stories," so I don't want to bore them further. Edited August 31, 2010 by IgnatiusofLoyola
Selah Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 (edited) Not sure... Edited August 31, 2010 by Selah
TeresaBenedicta Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 Atheist --> Convert class of 2007 So very much Roman Catholic. Future
Mark of the Cross Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1283214376' post='2165694'] After hanging around for awhile, I realized that I liked a lot of the people, and enjoyed learning about the Catholic faith, and I'm still here. [/quote] The miracle has already begun, you are already a Catholic on an exciting and rewarding journey which doesn't end until you draw your last breath. Your personal invitation was from Jesus himself. The people you like is the love of Jesus. The interest and enjoyment you feel is the Holy Spirit burning within you. Peace be with you. [quote name='Selah' timestamp='1283214639' post='2165697'] Not sure... [/quote] You too, already belong to Jesus oh gentle and kind soul.
Marie-Therese Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 Apotheoun has a thread regarding this topic: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=107041"]Phatmass Religion Census[/url] As for your question, I am a convert to the Roman Rite. I was raised Southern Baptist, became atheist in my teens/early 20s, then reverted back to the Southern Baptist faith, and then made my way to the Catholic Church. It's been a wild ride.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 [quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1283215644' post='2165701'] The miracle has already begun, you are already a Catholic on an exciting and rewarding journey which doesn't end until you draw your last breath. Your personal invitation was from Jesus himself. The people you like is the love of Jesus. The interest and enjoyment you feel is the Holy Spirit burning within you. Peace be with you. [/quote] That was a lovely (and loving) reply, MOTC. However, even if the miracle has begun and I am already a Catholic, I'm not going to "push it" and take communion in a Catholic church. There are rules about these things (for a very good reason). My journey has barely begun, there are some very large boulders in the way blocking my path, and the destination, while known to God, is still unknown to me. But, that's fine. I know I'll get somewhere eventually.
Sarah147 Posted August 31, 2010 Author Posted August 31, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1283216264' post='2165705'] That was a lovely (and loving) reply, MOTC. However, even if the miracle has begun and I am already a Catholic, I'm not going to "push it" and take communion in a Catholic church. There are rules about these things (for a very good reason). My journey has barely begun, there are some very large boulders in the way blocking my path, and the destination, while known to God, is still unknown to me. But, that's fine. I know I'll get somewhere eventually. [/quote] If you make it your sole aim to focus on Jesus in the Holy Eucharist, and His Love, you will move past those "boulders" and more quickly than otherwise, enter the Church. Entrust your conversion to Mother Mary. Praying for you. I have a desk calendar in my bathroom with quotes from Saints. It's currently on the topic of God's Love, and these beautiful descriptions and loving words really increase my desire to receive Communion! If I were without Communion, I'd be gasping to receive... again, and again.
Mark of the Cross Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 (edited) [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1283216264' post='2165705'] However, even if the miracle has begun and I am already a Catholic, I'm not going to "push it" and take communion in a Catholic church. There are rules about these things (for a very good reason). My journey has barely begun, there are some very large boulders in the way blocking my path, and the destination, while known to God, is still unknown to me. But, that's fine. I know I'll get somewhere eventually. [/quote] Yes even though you are not able to take communion yet, you are still a Catholic because Jesus is not bound by time and knows where you are going and what he has planned for you. Last year when I was very ill and the medicines were making me tremble, I stopped being an EMHC for a few weeks. At Mass one day when I felt a little better I asked God if he wanted me to be an EMHC. At that time because of the piggy flu thing we were only having one EMHC. Very oddly when time came no-one went out, so I assumed that Jesus answer was yes. I prayed to him to steady my hands and they remained steady for the duration of the Eucharist. Trust in Jesus and relax and go with the flow and all those boulders will float past like in a 3D movie. When I went through RCIA it took me 2 years because I struggled with it. Becoming an EMHC also took a long time because I had to be sure that I was doing it as Jesus humble servant and not for personal glory. Yes life is a long rocky road and it's a tough one but just be patient your prayers and the prayers of those of us who are praying for you will be answered. Edited August 31, 2010 by Mark of the Cross
LaPetiteSoeur Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 Cradle Catholic Roman Catholic Future:nunpray: Funnily enough, my now 82 year old grandfather was just baptized two years ago! Gran's working on getting him into the rest, but since he has dementia there are plenty of issues. Grandad knows all the responses, though. His mother was a former Catholic-turned-extreme-Protestant. She didn't read or write or speak English well. She also thought my very holy grandmother was a bad influence because she danced, played bridge, and wore light makeup. God leads everyone to Him, some sooner than others. But it's never too late! Everyone's just on a different stange in their journeys.
MithLuin Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 I was raised Catholic...and by the grace of God, still am My parents also grew up in Catholic families, so all my relatives on both sides are at least nominally Catholic. A friend in college, upon understanding that I didn't know very much theology, announced that he would convert me to Russian Orthodoxy. I looked him right in the face and told him, "I have a mother, so I will die Catholic." My mom prays for all her children all the time. Sometimes, we sure do need it!
HisChildForever Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 Interesting - there is at least one Mormon on Phatmass?
OraProMe Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 (edited) Lapsed Catholic. I'm really interested in Catholicism (and other religions) but at the moment have no intention of adopting anything on the grounds of "faith".I became frustrated when I started realizing how hard it is to actually "know" something and the whole intellectual framework of my beliefs kind of collapsed after that. Edited August 31, 2010 by OraProMe
Nihil Obstat Posted August 31, 2010 Posted August 31, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1283270543' post='2165904'] Interesting - there is at least one Mormon on Phatmass? [/quote] One of the newest members lists their religion as LDS. Maybe that's it.
Sarah147 Posted August 31, 2010 Author Posted August 31, 2010 [quote name='OraProMe' timestamp='1283271139' post='2165906'] Lapsed Catholic. I'm really interested in Catholicism (and other religions) but at the moment have no intention of adopting anything on the grounds of "faith".I became frustrated when I started realizing how hard it is to actually "know" something and the whole intellectual framework of my beliefs kind of collapsed after that. [/quote] Do you mean you were focusing more on all the intellectual and book-learning, as opposed to the spiritual, meditative/contemplative prayer, Adoration, just loving God and growing in His Love? There are huge scholars and things without deep prayer, holiness, or much love. It's about love.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now