An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Think I'm Going To Visit Regina Laudis Abbey

jumpfrog

I wrote to the guest mistress, and they say I can come for a few days visit (simply as a guest) at the beginning of November! Has anyone visited there before? They said they would try to find some suitable work for me to do while I am there...what do you think is an appropriate donation for 3-4 days?

I'm currently reading Antoinette Bosco's book about Mother Benedict Duss. Regina Laudis sounds like such a beautiful community, full of intelligent, vibrant, and talented women. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed visit.

linnie

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1283639921' post='2167931']
I'm currently reading Antoinette Bosco's book about Mother Benedict Duss. Regina Laudis sounds like such a beautiful community, full of intelligent, vibrant, and talented women. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed visit.

linnie
[/quote]

It is beautiful and they sing beautifully.

You will enjoy your visit.

I don't know anything about the community, particularly, but I hope your time there is productive and instructive.

In terms of how much is apprpriate as a donation - wht would a decent hotel and three meals a day cost you? If you can afford it, I'd aim for that amount.

[quote name='jumpfrog' timestamp='1283609253' post='2167759']
I wrote to the guest mistress, and they say I can come for a few days visit (simply as a guest) at the beginning of November! Has anyone visited there before? They said they would try to find some suitable work for me to do while I am there...what do you think is an appropriate donation for 3-4 days?
[/quote]

Well, my Trappistines suggest $25/day. When I go I usually take that as a ballpark figure and round up.

It is lovely to hear them chant. :cloud9: If they still use the same guesthouse for women, it is a short walk to the monastery, down a dirt road/path. It's a very nice, old New England house, very simple - I was there twice during the summer and was glad there were other guests in the house at the same time. Be sure to take a good book as there is no TV or radio in the guest house. I went there for 3 ngts to meet the vocation director of another community who was the sibling of the then Regina Laudis novice mistress, but my second 4 ngt visit was to meet with their (RL) vocation directress. Interesting experience - we sat opposite one another with a wooden lattice grille in between, on little 3 legged stools - same ones used for women guests (and the nuns) in the little rustic dining room. She was in the kitchen, me in the guest dining room. She was VERY talkative and the sisters in the kitchen called out hello to me by name and thanked me for the homemade cookies I'd bought. :)

As far as the "suitable work" - often guests work in the garden or fields - I was asked to clean and prepare fresh green beans from their garden. The Sister I was visiting and I cold sit and chat while we did our jobs. The second time they asked me to do cleaning chores. :)

I hope your visit is a lovely one, with many discernment blessings. :pray:
P.S. If a very short visit I leave about $100,if possible. if a longer visit $25-30 a day.

Edited by Two Hearts

[quote name='Two Hearts' timestamp='1283686367' post='2168205']
It is lovely to hear them chant. :cloud9: If they still use the same guesthouse for women, it is a short walk to the monastery, down a dirt road/path. It's a very nice, old New England house, very simple - I was there twice during the summer and was glad there were other guests in the house at the same time. Be sure to take a good book as there is no TV or radio in the guest house. I went there for 3 ngts to meet the vocation director of another community who was the sibling of the then Regina Laudis novice mistress, but my second 4 ngt visit was to meet with their (RL) vocation directress. Interesting experience - we sat opposite one another with a wooden lattice grille in between, on little 3 legged stools - same ones used for women guests (and the nuns) in the little rustic dining room. She was in the kitchen, me in the guest dining room. She was VERY talkative and the sisters in the kitchen called out hello to me by name and thanked me for the homemade cookies I'd bought. :)

As far as the "suitable work" - often guests work in the garden or fields - I was asked to clean and prepare fresh green beans from their garden. The Sister I was visiting and I cold sit and chat while we did our jobs. The second time they asked me to do cleaning chores. :)

I hope your visit is a lovely one, with many discernment blessings. :pray:
P.S. If a very short visit I leave about $100,if possible. if a longer visit $25-30 a day.
[/quote]

It sounds irresistible. Where do I sign up?;)

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

This is a lovely community and has recently been in the news because the actress, Patricia Neal, converted because of their Mother Prioress and is now buried on their grounds. I just love what this says about their sense of "being open" to others.

I think most phatmassers know that I am horrible at searching on this forum, but not so long ago, there was a thread about visiting them. I gave details as did Osap.

Hopefully you can find it, because it will surely help you know what to expect.

As for work, it is true, in the beginning, they tend to have guests work in the garden and outside. If you have a particular interest, they might try to arrange for you to experience that. (As an example - they have an iron forge.) They normally don't let new visitors visit or work with the animals and I am sure that is due to insurance reasons. They have a lovely gift shop and much of November is typically spent getting ready for Christmas, so maybe you will have a chance to be in there!

The Master Potter is ill, and I have no idea (have not heard) if her spot has been filled. They have a bookbinder, a weaver, etc. Ask a lot of questions during your meetings in the parlor so you can hopefully see or do something that speaks to your heart!

As for money, give what you can and don't worry about it. When you arrive, is always nice to bring a small gift that the community can share - chocolates are always popular!

Have a wonderful time and may God bless you with safe travels and an open heart!

Pax,
TradMom

• 11 months later...

I think I would like to take 2 of my daughters to Regina Laudis for a weekend this Oct. I mentioned this to my mother who also would like to go. Is there room in the women's guesthouse for 4 guests?

[color=#800000][size=4][b]I was there a few years back and left thoroughly refreshed with a new understanding of Benedictine spirituality and a renewed love for Chant[/b][/size][/color]
[color=#800000][size=4][b]My contibution was to wash the windows and NOT leave streaks.[/b][/size][/color]

[color=#800000][size=4][b]You can be left alone or ask for some spiritual direction.[/b][/size][/color]

[color=#800000][size=4][b]My favorite spot was the small original chapel as opposed to the large Cor Jesu church.[/b][/size][/color]
[color=#800000][size=4][b]And the woods were a sheer gift from God.[/b][/size][/color]

I've read the book by the late Lady Abess Bennedict Duss, and its was a truly lovely and illuminating read about religious life in wartime Europe, how new foundations are started (with all the hardships!) and the trials Vatican II brought to comunities. I really recommend it. I would love to visit this Abbey some day. I would love to do the monastic internship they talk of on their website too- I am trul jealous you are getting to visit them! :) I hope you have a great retreat!