Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women In Seminary/grad School


Recommended Posts

CreepyCrawler
Posted (edited)

Hi, I know women can't be priests and I'm cool with that. But can women go to Seminary just to study (I'm assuming it's like grad school) or pursue a PhD in theology in order to teach (in seminary or elsewhere) or do something else (like a church scholar) without wanting to be ordained in the end like the priests? Or is a requirement for seminary the goal of ordination? Thanks.

Edited by CreepyCrawler
Theologian in Training
Posted

[quote name='CreepyCrawler' date='Apr 18 2004, 12:31 PM'] Hi, I know women can't be priests and I'm cool with that. But can women go to Seminary just to study (I'm assuming it's like grad school) or pursue a PhD in theology in order to teach (in seminary or elsewhere) or do something else (like a church scholar) without wanting to be ordained in the end like the priests? Or is a requirement for seminary the goal of ordination? Thanks. [/quote]
Yes. In fact, there are a few laywomen and laymen in my classes. The only stipulation is that the preaching and liturgical practicums are only offered for those studying to be priests, as well as certain preaching classes. However, this does not impede their ability to obtain a Masters or a Doctorate since the above classes are only necessary for those pursuing a Masters in Divinity (ie: the priestly road)

Hope that helps

God Bless

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...