An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are Catholic Schools So Expensive?

c2six

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1285121163' post='2175213']
Yes, the main reason that Catholic school tuition is so much more than it used to be is that lay teachers need to not only live off their wages but support a family. Sisters worked for practically free ;).

Catholic school teachers are still paid significantly less than their public school counterparts (and often with less benefits), but it's a living wage in almost all cases.

Catholic education is different in the US, Canada and the UK, so I can't speak to all of them. But in the US, if you are a member of the parish that runs the elementary school, you often get a discount on tuition. But perhaps you have to contribute to the parish with envelopes or something so they have a record. Certainly ask about discounts for being a member of the parish (or family discounts for multiple kids) or scholarship opportunities or payment plans, etc. If you are proactive enough about trying to find a way to get your kid into the school...maybe someone will help you out and make it happen.
[/quote]
In the UK, most Catholic schools are subsidised by the government, so you don't pay out of pocket. The parish pays a per parishioner fee (something fairly nominal, like £6 or so, I think), but the parents don't directly pay the school. Parishioners are given priority, but other children may apply to go there. The major downside to this is that, since they receive government funding, they have to use the national curriculum. Now, it's possible to still receive an orthodox education this way (especially if you go to a school run by Oratorians), but it doesn't always happen. There are private Catholic schools, which are more expensive. There's only one in Liverpool, I think. They provide the choristers for the Cathedral, so if your son is accepted as a chorister, the Cathedral will contribute for his education (I think they have girl choristers now, too, but I'm not sure). Other schools have different bursaries or scholarships, too. But we're planning to home educate, most likely, unless something changes (like moving to Yorkshire and getting bursaries for the school run by the Benedictines at Ampleforth, maybe).

AccountDeleted

I sent my daughter to a Catholic primary school in Australia and made payments - the school helped me work it out. When we moved to the US, I couldn't send her because the Catholic school told me they were full and wouldn't take any more students in her grade even though my niece and nephew both went to that school. I was very upset.

I sent her to public school and she had all kinds of problems - I think the Catholic school let me down.

But, I do think you should at least try to talk to them and see if they can help you out. If you have to work then homeschooling may not be an option. I had to homeschool my daughter in the last few year of high school and I think it was much better than the public school. Everyone has a different story......

Prayers for you :nunpray:

Catholic schools are free here. You can have your property taxes go straight to the Catholic school system. My dad would have loved that. He hated the fact that his property taxes paid for our neighbors' kids to go to school, but not us.

Sadly, Catholic schools are not what they once were. Most, not all, position themselves as private schools.

Nuns were given the option to not teach after Vatican II and we are living with those effects.

Catholic schools in NYC have to teach sex education in grade school. While they fight Albany, it has been forced upon them to give out condoms in the Catholic school system.

Lay teachers are no replacement for Nuns. Religion is treated as an after thought. Some teach it once a week for maybe 30 minutes.

The tuition is not the end all, which averages $500 per month. There is script, where each school has you spend as much as $4K more per year on items you might buy (say you local supermarket, gas, etc.). But you must spend x amount of dollars in a given time frame.

Some may have you provide food for the entire class a few times a month. Have you work at the school (service hours) or you can buy your way out.

Faith is not the basis for many Catholic schools, but attracting as many high payers as they can. Squeezing 30+ kids into class to make as much as they can.

Then there is the breakdown of tuition, those who are active in the parish, pay the least (sort of, you have to ensure you give 10% of you weekly salary), non parish, Catholic, non-Catholic.

So what was once a great community center, supported by the local Catholics meant to ensure the continuation of the Faith, it has gone off the rails.

I would suggest speaking with the Pastor of the parish, the principal (probably a lay person) and even the Diocese. I don't like your chances, but exhaust all possibilities. Even contacting your local congressman whereby you are a shining example of why a voucher system is important.

I wish you the best.

the dssme are on a quest to create catholic schools and have only sisters teach.....that will bring the costs down for sure, enabling even the poorest kids to take advantage of catholic education...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1285177722' post='2175320']
the dssme are on a quest to create catholic schools and have only sisters teach.....that will bring the costs down for sure, enabling even the poorest kids to take advantage of catholic education...
[/quote]
AND it would be a genuine Catholic education! :nun: Unlike a good chunk of my education! :topsy:

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1285178109' post='2175322']
AND it would be a genuine Catholic education! :nun: Unlike a good chunk of my education! :topsy:
[/quote]
yeah, but you still came out all right! :banana:

[quote name='StMichael' timestamp='1285176727' post='2175318']
Sadly, Catholic schools are not what they once were. Most, not all, position themselves as private schools.

Nuns were given the option to not teach after Vatican II and we are living with those effects.

Catholic schools in NYC have to teach sex education in grade school. While they fight Albany, it has been forced upon them to give out condoms in the Catholic school system.

Lay teachers are no replacement for Nuns. Religion is treated as an after thought. Some teach it once a week for maybe 30 minutes.

The tuition is not the end all, which averages $500 per month. There is script, where each school has you spend as much as $4K more per year on items you might buy (say you local supermarket, gas, etc.). But you must spend x amount of dollars in a given time frame.

Some may have you provide food for the entire class a few times a month. Have you work at the school (service hours) or you can buy your way out.

Faith is not the basis for many Catholic schools, but attracting as many high payers as they can. Squeezing 30+ kids into class to make as much as they can.

Then there is the breakdown of tuition, those who are active in the parish, pay the least (sort of, you have to ensure you give 10% of you weekly salary), non parish, Catholic, non-Catholic.

So what was once a great community center, supported by the local Catholics meant to ensure the continuation of the Faith, it has gone off the rails.

I would suggest speaking with the Pastor of the parish, the principal (probably a lay person) and even the Diocese. I don't like your chances, but exhaust all possibilities. Even contacting your local congressman whereby you are a shining example of why a voucher system is important.

I wish you the best.
[/quote]

I think you are unfairly portraying lay teachers/administrators here.

I was a teacher in a private Christian school and my colleagues and I took our responsibilities for teaching the principles of our faith seriously-- it certainly wasn't relegated to thirty minutes a week. We didn't try to cram in as many students as we could, either. My class was 15 max. My salary reflected that-- very low. We could have gone to pursue more lucrative public school jobs, but we didn't because there were benefits to teaching in a private school that made the trade off worthwhile.

Just sharing my experience and can only speak to NYC and LA.

I certainly don't want it to be this way, but one principal (lay) was asked if Priests were involved and said we keep them away.

I had the benefit of Nuns as the principal, the teachers with very few lay teachers and am thankful for it. Religion was found in every class. Math, english, etc.

Sadly I find more Christian practice in the Christian schools than I do in the Catholic schools.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1285178321' post='2175324']
I think you are unfairly portraying lay teachers/administrators here.

I was a teacher in a private Christian school and my colleagues and I took our responsibilities for teaching the principles of our faith seriously-- it certainly wasn't relegated to thirty minutes a week. We didn't try to cram in as many students as we could, either. My class was 15 max. My salary reflected that-- very low. We could have gone to pursue more lucrative public school jobs, but we didn't because there were benefits to teaching in a private school that made the trade off worthwhile.
[/quote]

Catholic schools would be a lot more affordable if parents didn't have to subsidize other parents' kids going to State religious schools. State religious schools aren't cheap, either. But nobody notices the mosquito as it drinks one's blood.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

I'm a biology teacher at a Catholic school, and all of my classes start with prayer. Just sayin'

We also have a work study program and generous scholarship opportunities, so very few families pay anywhere near what it costs to educate the child. It's a great model. :)

Mrs. Bro. Adam

[quote name='StMichael' timestamp='1285179845' post='2175327']
Just sharing my experience and can only speak to NYC and LA.

I certainly don't want it to be this way, but one principal (lay) was asked if Priests were involved and said we keep them away.

I had the benefit of Nuns as the principal, the teachers with very few lay teachers and am thankful for it. Religion was found in every class. Math, english, etc.

Sadly I find more Christian practice in the Christian schools than I do in the Catholic schools.
[/quote]

But whose responsibility IS that? The BEHAVIOR is the responsibility of the parent, NOT the teacher. When did the blame get shifted from the parents to the teachers in regards to the student?

dauntingknight

The Catholic kids that I know are....................

pretty stupid......

I hate to say that but unfortunately, here that is true.

[quote name='dauntingknight' timestamp='1285278803' post='2175557']
The Catholic kids that I know are....................

pretty stupid......

I hate to say that but unfortunately, here that is true.
[/quote]

I've seen a lot more solid, charitable Catholic kids come out of secular religious schools than Catholic schools. They have to fight to stay Catholic. Makes them strong.

~Sternhauser