An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Firefighters In California

Sternhauser

The only thing the article [i]didn't[/i] cover was how [i]effective[/i] the private fire companies are. Very. Thought it was funny that they were talking about how "difficult it would be to coordinate" many private fire companies. Given the coordination the State has shown during disaster relief, it's a ridiculous statement.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/tempers-flare-in-colorado-over-use-of-private-firefighters/19657751

~Sternhauser

If they're operating within the unified command, or not freelancing and adding to the problem, then there's no reason for anyone to get upset.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8039814/Tennessee-Firemen-ignore-burning-house-over-unpaid-subscription-fee.html

another fun look at the situation.

We're discussing that at firehouse. If there's a fee to subscribe and you don't, should there or should there not be consequences?

[quote]Mr Cranick said: "I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong." [/quote]
In other words, he thought he could skate by without paying until something happened. When his house was on fire, he suddenly had money to pay. This is like buying insurance after your house is wrecked.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1286157593' post='2177719']
[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8039814/Tennessee-Firemen-ignore-burning-house-over-unpaid-subscription-fee.html"]http://www.telegraph. ..iption-fee.html[/url]

[/quote]

He did not have a contract. That's like your neighbor having ADT and them not sending someone to stop a burglar at your house, then complaining about it. I'm quite certain they at least asked if anyone was in the house. Would the homeowner also have been upset if his non-existent [i]insurance[/i] company didn't cover his house?

The private fire company probably has [i]zero [/i]insurance coverage for their guys unless they are firefighting on client property. I feel his pain, as a politican once said, but I cannot fault the private fire company.

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1286157593' post='2177719']
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8039814/Tennessee-Firemen-ignore-burning-house-over-unpaid-subscription-fee.html

[/quote]

Heard this on the radio this morning. What this story doesn't say, and what was discussed on the radio, was that the neighbor DID have the "insurance". The firemen waited until the fire completely burned down the "uninsured" home and then spread to the insured home before responding. I believe the insured home was completely destroyed as well - but could be wrong on this. From the radio report it was clear the insured home was damaged, but I don't recall if it actually burned down as well.

The radio also mentioned that the insured has either already filed suit or will file suit.

Edited by rkwright

MissScripture

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1286223079' post='2177833']
Heard this on the radio this morning. What this story doesn't say, and what was discussed on the radio, was that the neighbor DID have the "insurance". The firemen waited until the fire completely burned down the "uninsured" home and then spread to the insured home before responding. I believe the insured home was completely destroyed as well - but could be wrong on this. From the radio report it was clear the insured home was damaged, but I don't recall if it actually burned down as well.

The radio also mentioned that the insured has either already filed suit or will file suit.
[/quote]
What is the insured filing suit for? That they didn't stop the fire before it spread to his home?

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1286223291' post='2177834']
What is the insured filing suit for? That they didn't stop the fire before it spread to his home?
[/quote]

They didn't get too specific on the radio - it may have just been the DJ's saying he should file suit. I don't recall perfectly (I wasn't expecting this to come up in phatmass today :) )

I would assume that its something like the firefighters had notice of a fire, that the fire at his neighbor's house was reasonably likely to spread to his if not stopped, and that a reasonable person would have stopped the fire before it got to his house.

MissScripture

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1286223590' post='2177835']
They didn't get too specific on the radio - it may have just been the DJ's saying he should file suit. I don't recall perfectly (I wasn't expecting this to come up in phatmass today :) )

I would assume that its something like the firefighters had notice of a fire, that the fire at his neighbor's house was reasonably likely to spread to his if not stopped, and that a reasonable person would have stopped the fire before it got to his house.
[/quote]
Oh, okay.
I find this all very interesting, because I have family who lives in an area that has a fee for fireservice, like that, and one time someone said, "What happens if we don't pay it? They will really let our house burn down?" I guess the answer is yes...

If the insured property was damaged beyond some singed vegetation, that could possibly be due to poor tactics.

Fires don't really wait to spread to exposures until they've completely burned down the structure they've started in. They multitask.

The neighbors house didnt burn down, but i believe it was damaged. apparently, the firefighters did not even show up at the scene until the neighbors house had caught fire.

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1286219638' post='2177825']
He did not have a contract. That's like your neighbor having ADT and them not sending someone to stop a burglar at your house, then complaining about it. I'm quite certain they at least asked if anyone was in the house. Would the homeowner also have been upset if his non-existent [i]insurance[/i] company didn't cover his house?

The private fire company probably has [i]zero [/i]insurance coverage for their guys unless they are firefighting on client property. I feel his pain, as a politican once said, but I cannot fault the private fire company.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

Sure, within that system it doesnt appear anyone did anything WRONG, (aside from allowing the fire to spread). the point then being that perhaps that system is not a good one

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1286237162' post='2177874']
Sure, within that system it doesnt appear anyone did anything WRONG, (aside from allowing the fire to spread). the point then being that perhaps that system is not a good one
[/quote]

It worked well enough for the person whose house didn't burn down.

I think it will just take a while for people to get over the "gubmint gonna take care of me for free" attitude.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

MissScripture

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1286219638' post='2177825']

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
I don't think it was a private company, I think it was the city's, but these people lived outside of city limits and had to pay for the city to cover them. But I could be wrong. That's just how it works where some of my family members live.

Edited by MissScripture

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1286237460' post='2177876']
It worked well enough for the person whose house didn't burn down.

I think it will just take a while for people to get over the "gubmint gonna take care of me for free" attitude.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

First off, no it didnt. his house caught fire when it didnt have to. it didnt burn down, but a houses worth is not some binary system with Burnt or NotBurnt.

who said it was free?