An Old School Catholic Message Board

Curious

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

In your experience/knowledge, do communities take issue with medications? If a discerner is required to take meds, would he or she encounter problems with entrance? Is the concern monetary?

What kind of psychological evaluation, if any, was required/will be required of you before your entrance?

What is the "policy" on criminal backgrounds?

What kind of information was required of you before your initial visit?

Was it required that you have a spiritual director or simply highly suggested?

How often were you/are you in contact with your community?

Was/is your discernment public knowledge or mostly private?

[size="1"][i]No, I do not have a criminal background.[/i][/size]

I'll give you answers from the perspective of the community I was with. :) I'm sure each community is a little different, but this is how we did it:

[b]In your experience/knowledge, do communities take issue with medications? If a discerner is required to take meds, would he or she encounter problems with entrance? Is the concern monetary? [/b]

It depends what medications, and what condition they are taken for. The concern was usually [i]not[/i] monetary - it was more a question of, "If this young woman has this condition, will she be able to adequately live religious life in our community?" There was a Sister, for example, who had fibromyalgia and was taking medication that worked very well for her; her condition was under control, and it was decided that it was not an impediment to her entering the convent. If it was for something like, say, acne, that wouldn't be a problem at all, and the Sister would continue to take her medication just as she did before she entered the convent. If it were for a more serious condition, the Sisters would look at it on a case-by-case basis. But no, as far as I know, the issue was more an issue of, "Would this health condition be an impediment?" more than it was a monetary problem.

[b]What kind of psychological evaluation, if any, was required/will be required of you before your entrance?[/b]

My previous community did not require a psychological evaluation. However, from my experience with other communities, often they would have a list of psychologists you could see to give you just a typical psychological evaluation - some people hear the term "psychological evaluation" and they freak! :lol: But I've actually had one done (with the blessing of my community, although they don't specifically require one ... long story, but I'm glad I did it!), and it's nothing like that. They're just making sure you're psychologically fit and able to live religious life. Sure, we're all crazy to [i]some[/i] degree ... lol ... but that's not an impediment to religious life, I promise! ;)

[b]What is the "policy" on criminal backgrounds?[/b]

A Sister in our community had actually been arrested before because she had taken part in a pro-life "Rescue Mission" while she was in college. That was not an impediment. However, I'm not sure what their "policy" would be on something more serious.

[b]What kind of information was required of you before your initial visit?[/b]

A little bit about your background -- family life, how you came to discern religious life, how long you've been discerning, any kind of issues you may have had in the past with Catholicism (like, are you a convert? Did you fall away from the Church for a while? etc.) The Vocation Directress would usually call you or e-mail you a number of times before setting up a visit, and try to "get to know you" at least a little bit before your visit, but nothing too extremely personal needed to be brought up before your visit. Usually just a general "introduction" as to who you are, how you heard about the Sisters, and why you're discerning religious life and for how long.
[b]
Was it required that you have a spiritual director or simply highly suggested?[/b]

No, not required.

[b]How often were you/are you in contact with your community?[/b]

Before the visit, just a handful of times. After visit but before second visit, I guess another handful. After acceptance 'til entrance, probably just another handful! :lol: Not too terribly much contact, actually! :lol: Most of the contact was because I was having problems getting the pattern for the postulant outfit!

[b]Was/is your discernment public knowledge or mostly private?[/b]

I mostly kept it private, until I learned I was accepted for entrance. Even then I didn't tell random strangers, just my friends, family, and acquaintances at school.

Edited by CherieMadame

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1286315067' post='2178060']

[b]What kind of psychological evaluation, if any, was required/will be required of you before your entrance?[/b]

My previous community did not require a psychological evaluation. However, from my experience with other communities, often they would have a list of psychologists you could see to give you just a typical psychological evaluation - some people hear the term "psychological evaluation" and they freak! :lol: But I've actually had one done (with the blessing of my community, although they don't specifically require one ... long story, but I'm glad I did it!), and it's nothing like that. They're just making sure you're psychologically fit and able to live religious life. Sure, we're all crazy to [i]some[/i] degree ... lol ... but that's not an impediment to religious life, I promise! ;)

[/quote]

I think actually now there is a psych eval. required. prolly cuz of their experience with crazies like moi ;-)

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1286317174' post='2178066']
I think actually now there is a psych eval. required. prolly cuz of their experience with crazies like moi ;-)
[/quote]

It depends on each individual community. I have never had to have one before enteing any of my communities. In th cloister if you are going to go nuts it usually shows up in the first two weeks. Living in solitude usually bares things very fast as you have nothing to distract you from yourself and no place to hide you. Your walls fall down pretty quickly.

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

LaPetiteSoeur

I believe all religious orders (and seminaries) [i]require[/i] psychological evaluations. A sister I know says they are relatively painless.

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1286317722' post='2178068']
I believe all religious orders (and seminaries) [i]require[/i] psychological evaluations. A sister I know says they are relatively painless.
[/quote]

I would say that MOST do ... some however don't. And yes most of the times they are painless (some are more involved than others).

HopefulBride

[b]In your experience/knowledge, do communities take issue with medications? If a discerner is required to take meds, would he or she encounter problems with entrance? Is the concern monetary?
[/b]I don't really have experience with that personally but I seem to recall a couple of communities I visited where one of the professed sisters is on medication and one of the discerners was taking medication. It didn't seem to be an issue.

[b] What kind of psychological evaluation, if any, was required/will be required of you before your entrance?
[/b]I believe it was a DSM4??? not sure I had to do. it took about 3 hours and then I had to do a follow-up. I absolutely had to do it in order for my application to be considered complete. I am still waiting for it to be officially reviewed so that I may get an official response.
[b]
What is the "policy" on criminal backgrounds?
[/b]I do not know anything on that policy as I am not aware with any sisters in the community with a background.
[b]
What kind of information was required of you before your initial visit?
[/b]Before I visited the sisters, I filled out an interest from on their site and the vocation directress emailed me a few times before calling me and we had a long discussion. From that time on it was just a matter of making sure the key people were there at the times I was interested in visiting.
[b]
Was it required that you have a spiritual director or simply highly suggested?
[/b]It was mentionned by some other communities that I get one (If I hadn't already) the community I am discerning now is fully aware that I have a SD.
[b]
How often were you/are you in contact with your community?
[/b]As I just finished the application stage. I was constantly writing or calling with questions on the application process (I was afraid sister would get tired of my incessant phone calls) lol.
[b]
Was/is your discernment public knowledge or mostly private?
[/b]My discernment for the most part was VERY private. However, slowly I started to let some people know (ladies in my guild, my boss - had to explain those long time off - and some close friends. Somehow though, it seems my ENTIRE parish knows and I must say that is unsettling. I wish I knew who said something....

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1286317174' post='2178066']
[/quote]

:lol: Do they really? I wouldn't be surprised. Honestly, I think it's a good thing. Probably would have helped me realize I didn't have a religious vocation much sooner than I did! But then again, Romans 8:28 -- God brought [i]amazing[/i] good out of it, so I'm grateful.

Crazies like you?! No way! Honestly, it was probably because of me! Or who knows, maybe it was because of all of us ... in that case, we probably have done the community a lot of good, so we should pat ourselves on the back for that one! (And of course, give honor and glory to God!)

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1286317658' post='2178067']
. I have never had to have one before enteing any of my communities.[/quote]

OH this is too easy!
[spoiler] Its hard to have a psych evaluation when they hadnt even been invented yet! :whistle: [/spoiler]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1286322309' post='2178082']
OH this is too easy!
[spoiler] Its hard to have a psych evaluation when they hadnt even been invented yet! :whistle: [/spoiler]
[/quote]

Wow IT! I didn't realize you were old enough to celebrate your 70th Jubilee!

The MMPI (a very common psychological test) was developed in 1939. It certainly wasn't the first psychological test, but I didn't feel like spending the time finding the first one.

P.S. I hope Vee8 can pass the psychological test for the Carmelites since she appears to have serious ageist issues. :P

TeresaBenedicta

[b]In your experience/knowledge, do communities take issue with medications? If a discerner is required to take meds, would he or she encounter problems with entrance? Is the concern monetary?[/b]

I don't really know. I think my community is on the more accepting end of these types of things.

Erm. I think there's a psychological evaluation required for my community... except I don't know if I'll have to take it. Circumstances are weird for me because of my student loan situation. We'll see.

[b]What is the "policy" on criminal backgrounds?[/b]

No idea. I haven't had to have one yet. I wouldn't be surprised if one is required... I'd be surprised if it wasn't required.

[b]What kind of information was required of you before your initial visit?[/b]

Hm. I just chatted with the vocation's director for about twenty minutes or so on the phone. Just a "getting to know you" type of conversation-- how you met the Order, what you're doing in life right now, etc.

[b]Was it required that you have a spiritual director or simply highly suggested?[/b]

Not sure, since I already had a spiritual director. They did ask if I had one, though. I'm sure it's highly recommended.

[b]How often were you/are you in contact with your community?[/b]

About once a month, just to keep in touch, until I can take care of my student loans and enter.

[b]Was/is your discernment public knowledge or mostly private?[/b]

It was mostly private until a certain point. It became more public when I took an active role in our college's discernment group as part of an internship with Campus Ministry-- I had planned on keeping it private still, but our chaplain (who knew about it), really encouraged me to talk about it because he felt that it would be beneficial for the students I was working with. Then, once I was accepted and needing to look for benefactors, things became very public, because our President was helping me and made announcements to the staff and what have you...

It's also quite public at home, because my mom went and told everyone she knows about my discernment. Nobody at work knows, however.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1286322309' post='2178082']
OH this is too easy!
[/quote]
v8 -- wooooooowwwwww! Touche!!!!!!!! :) (lol)

Edited by cmariadiaz

AccountDeleted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1286326976' post='2178090']

P.S. I hope Vee8 can pass the psychological test for the Carmelites since she appears to have serious ageist issues. :P
[/quote]

Carmelites don't give psychological tests....

theres no point because....

everyone knows you have to be crazy to want to be a Carmelite :P

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1286361993' post='2178133']
everyone knows you have to be crazy to want to be a Carmelite :P
[/quote]

:lol:

I remember some seminarians I know once talking about Saints who wouldn't have "passed" their psychological evaluation ... it was all lighthearted fun, certainly wasn't meant to be disrespectful at all ... if anything, they were talking about how God works in mysterious ways, and there are so many wonderful Saints who just don't "fit the mold" and who many [i]other[/i] people thought were crazy ... gives hope to the rest of us, huh! :saint:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1286365349' post='2178134']
:lol:

I remember some seminarians I know once talking about Saints who wouldn't have "passed" their psychological evaluation ... it was all lighthearted fun, certainly wasn't meant to be disrespectful at all ... if anything, they were talking about how God works in mysterious ways, and there are so many wonderful Saints who just don't "fit the mold" and who many [i]other[/i] people thought were crazy ... gives hope to the rest of us, huh! :saint:
[/quote]

:like:
I completely agree. And the greatest example of 'craziness' in my opinion is St Mary Magdalene de Pazzi. :blink:

I really I adore her! :dance:

But I think I will wait for my black veil before I emulate her and go running throughout the cloister shouting ...
"Love is not loved! Love is not loved!" :love:

:saint: