An Old School Catholic Message Board

Praying To The Infant Of Prague

TeresaBenedicta

TeresaBenedicta

[center][img]http://www.marys-touch.com/history/infant.JPG[/img][/center]

I know there are a lot of Novena's going around right now (praise God-- the month of October has an amazing set of Saints and Feasts to celebrate!), but I'd like to invite anyone who is willing to join me in a Novena to the Infant of Prague for the intention of those of us with student loans that serve as our final obstacle to entering religious life.

I'll be honest-- the Infant of Prague has always sort of... creeped me out. That sounds terrible, I know, and I can't understand why. It's the image, really. So I've had a long-standing joke with a few good friends of my... dislike (too strong of a word, but I can't think of a better one right now)... for the Infant of Prague.

But of course, the way God works, the Infant of Prague has been suggested to me numerous times to help with my student loan situation. And now, after having been given the Novena twice by two different people, I've decided that I can no longer escape Him.

The Novena is short, yet beautiful. Join me in praying:

O Jesus, Who has said, “Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened,” through the intercession of Mary, Your Most Holy Mother, I knock, I seek, I ask that my prayer be granted.

(Make your request)

O Jesus, Who has said, “All that you ask of the Father in My Name, He will grant you,” through the intercession of Mary Your Most Holy Mother, I humbly and urgently ask your Father in your name that my prayer will be granted.

(Make your request)

O Jesus, Who has said, “Heaven and earth shall pass away but My word shall not pass away,” through the intercession of Mary Your Most Holy Mother, I feel confident that my prayer will be granted.

(Make your request)

There is a National Shrine to the Infant Jesus of Prague in Prague, Oklahoma. Just in case someone wants to make a pilgrimage without flying to Europe. Lots of farm communities in Oklahoma are made up of Czech immigrants. I went on pilgrimage in the 70's there when I was working on the requirements for the Marian Medal. It was so hot, and I was wearing a leather gown, and I don't exactly handle incense well, and they had to carry me out feet first. I guess if I went to Lourdes, I'd probably drown.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1286651688' post='2178782']
There is a National Shrine to the Infant Jesus of Prague in Prague, Oklahoma. Just in case someone wants to make a pilgrimage without flying to Europe. Lots of farm communities in Oklahoma are made up of Czech immigrants. I went on pilgrimage in the 70's there when I was working on the requirements for the Marian Medal. It was so hot, and I was wearing a leather gown, and I don't exactly handle incense well, and they had to carry me out feet first. I guess if I went to Lourdes, I'd probably drown.
[/quote]

Why were you wearing a leather gown? Fashion or penance? Or both? :hijack:

Back on topic, I've been wanting to make this novena for a while and as I enough debt to buy a small house in a good neighborhood I will gladly join in praying for those with the impediment of debt.

TeresaBenedicta

Day Two... same prayer...

Intention: That those with student debt may have it cleared as soon as possible that they may enter the convent.

O Jesus, Who has said, “Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened,” through the intercession of Mary, Your Most Holy Mother, I knock, I seek, I ask that my prayer be granted.

(Make your request)

O Jesus, Who has said, “All that you ask of the Father in My Name, He will grant you,” through the intercession of Mary Your Most Holy Mother, I humbly and urgently ask your Father in your name that my prayer will be granted.

(Make your request)

O Jesus, Who has said, “Heaven and earth shall pass away but My word shall not pass away,” through the intercession of Mary Your Most Holy Mother, I feel confident that my prayer will be granted.

(Make your request)

OK so I just spoke to my boss and I'm taking Thursday afternoon off so that I can go to the chapel and sit in front of the Blessed sacrament to do this novena. (One of the options is to do say this novena in one day for nine hours at the same time every hour) I've been thinking about doing a "pilgrimmage" of sorts to the Adoration chapel and I think this will fit just fine.

Thanks TB!!!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1286803873' post='2179078']
OK so I just spoke to my boss and I'm taking Thursday afternoon off so that I can go to the chapel and sit in front of the Blessed sacrament to do this novena. (One of the options is to do say this novena in one day for nine hours at the same time every hour) I've been thinking about doing a "pilgrimmage" of sorts to the Adoration chapel and I think this will fit just fine.

Thanks TB!!!
[/quote]

Awesome!!! I was thinking about doing the nine-hour one as well, but couldn't find a day that I actually [i]could[/i] devote myself to it... Maybe I can today, actually, since it will be a rather uneventful day... and Jesus is just on the other side of the wall in my office. ;)

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1286805130' post='2179081']
and Jesus is just on the other side of the wall in my office. ;)
[/quote]

Oh how lucky are you?? I long for that but Alas......

At least my boss is understanding. I told her what I wanted to do and she has given me Thursday afternoon off; she offered Friday but I jut took the morning so that I can sleep in a bit.

TeresaBenedicta

Day Four, same prayer...

Intention: That those with student debt may have it cleared as soon as possible that they may enter the convent.

(Make your request)

(Make your request)

(Make your request)

Because I am a dolt --

Is there a reason why the Infant of Prague is a particularly appropriate devotion for student loan debt?

I am just curious.

:amen:

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1286896042' post='2179293']
Because I am a dolt --

Is there a reason why the Infant of Prague is a particularly appropriate devotion for student loan debt?

I am just curious.

[/quote]

If I remember correctly, the infant of prague is the patron of vocations.

Edited by HopefulBride

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1286896042' post='2179293']
Because I am a dolt --

I am just curious.

[/quote]

Not entirely sure, except that I have had two people give me this novena and recommend devotion to the Infant of Prague for the precise intention of student loan debt. I don't know if there's a particular reason for it, except that they themselves had been recommended to the same devotion for the same intention...

Also the patron of good finances :

[url="http://saints.sqpn.com/infant-jesus-of-prague/"]Infant of Prague[/url]

I found my Infant Jesus statue in a thrift store. I had always felt somewhat strange about how elaborately He is dressed... but when I saw Him in a thrift store, something changed in my perception of this devotion. Even as a royal Infant, God is still very humble to come among us as one of us...

[quote name='holly.o' timestamp='1286928463' post='2179365']
Also the patron of good finances :

[url="http://saints.sqpn.com/infant-jesus-of-prague/"]Infant of Prague[/url]

I found my Infant Jesus statue in a thrift store. I had always felt somewhat strange about how elaborately He is dressed... but when I saw Him in a thrift store, something changed in my perception of this devotion. Even as a royal Infant, God is still very humble to come among us as one of us...
[/quote]

AHA!

Following that link, I learn that the Infant of Prague is patron of:

Vocations
Colleges/universities (I thought that was John Henry Newman? I guess they can share. Or hmmm he was only beatified last month so I guess Newman doesn't get to be an official patron of things yet. But eventually they'll share I'm sure.)
Good finances

So this is fitting indeed.

Learn something new every day, that I do.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1286983063' post='2179426']
AHA!

Following that link, I learn that the Infant of Prague is patron of:

Vocations
Colleges/universities (I thought that was John Henry Newman? I guess they can share. Or hmmm he was only beatified last month so I guess Newman doesn't get to be an official patron of things yet. But eventually they'll share I'm sure.)
Good finances

So this is fitting indeed.

Learn something new every day, that I do.
[/quote]

How fitting indeed!! Oh man.

Day 5 today :)