An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ann Arbor Dominican Sisters...

In The Arms of The Lord

In The Arms of The Lord

Exciting news From Catholic News Agency:

Ann Arbor, Mich., Oct 26, 2010 / 02:45 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- To accommodate their rapidly growing community, the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist announced today that they will purchase the financially beleaguered John Paul II Cultural Center in Washington, D.C. near the Catholic University of America.

The center, which was the brainchild of the now retired Archbishop of Detroit, Cardinal Adam Maida, has been beset by numerous financial difficulties over the years. Intended to be a museum and Catholic intellectual hub, the center borrowed heavily from the Archdiocese of Detroit, owing them $40 million as of 2006, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The Ann Arbor sisters have had a different problem as they’ve been unable to build facilities fast enough to house new members.

In an e-mail announcement on Oct. 26, the Dominican order wrote that their community “welcomed 22 aspirants in August of this year – a gift from the Lord that continues to call us to ongoing discernment of how to provide for the formation and education of the young women seeking to enter religious life.”

“In order to plan and care accordingly for these vocations, the Dominican Sisters of Mary,” the community is “in the inspection phase of a purchase and sale agreement to buy a building at 3900 Harewood Road, known to many as the JPII Cultural Center, near the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.”

“It is our hope to use this building as a House of Studies for the continuing education and formation of our Sisters.”

The Dominican sisters made headlines in February, when they made an appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show – fielding questions regarding their vocation and discernment, their vows of poverty and chastity, and their life in community. Sister Maria Guadalupe Hallee, Director of Mission Advancement for the sisters, told CNA last March that since the show, almost all the feedback the sisters have received has been overwhelmingly positive.

Question - would they 'destroy' the museum and use the building for a house of studies, or would they keep the museum intact, but add on a part for their sisters to live in? Just curious.

In The Arms of The Lord

Hopefully someone could answer about the museum; I don't know anything about what has happend with it. I suppose if it wasn't doing too well, at least the building will go to something good. Ann Arbor Dominican Sisters have been flourishing with many vocations, this may be good for the community; and of course it's for Our Lord.

Edited to add: I don't see any news yet about this at the John Paul II Cultural Center website.

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord

In The Arms of The Lord

I found more information about the plan on the Dominican Sister's website; here is a letter from Mother Assumpta about this:

"On behalf of the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, I want to share this announcement:

The Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, has signed a purchase and sale agreement to buy the 3900 Harewood Road property in Washington, D.C., to be used as a House of Studies for the continuing education and formation of our Sisters. We are still in the inspection phase of this agreement.

We believe that the ultimate acquisition of this building, currently housing the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center, represents an opportunity that is aligned with the visions of our community, Pope John Paul II, and the Archdiocese of Detroit. It is a wonderful way to build upon the intention of the Center to bring the message of His Holiness to contemporary culture and promote vocations, and it provides yet another connection to his influence in our community and the incredibly generous donors to all these venerable institutions.

As we continue the due diligence of the facility, we do so in prayer and discernment as we seek God’s will in our Community and our lives."

In the article, someone stated that the John Paul II Cultural Center has been floundering for many of years. Here is the link for more news: http://www.sistersofmary.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=267&Itemid=463

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord

And the CPA in me cannot help but note - this is a lot of money. These sisters just recently completed their motherhouse buildings at a substantial cost. I hope they are not overextending their finances.

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1288186188' post='2182953']
And the CPA in me cannot help but note - this is a lot of money. These sisters just recently completed their motherhouse buildings at a substantial cost. I hope they are not overextending their finances.
[/quote]

Let's certainly keep the Sisters in our prayers. Our Lord always provides all that is needed to accomplish His plan. If this is His work and will, it will be. Hopefully the community will remain faithful and guided by His Spirit.

Great to hear about! Thanks for posting! I often think of these Sisters as a great hope for the future generations of young people they will be teaching .. to bring back the Dominican Sisters into our schools. My dad was taught by Dominicans and he just loves them :nunpray: I went to all public schools and I think I was better off for it the way many Catholics schools are these days. So anyway, what a wonderful apostolate they have .. let's keep them in prayer :pray:

Edited by Chiquitunga

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1288201020' post='2182998']
Great to hear about! Thanks for posting! I often think of these Sisters as a great hope for the future generations of young people they will be teaching .. to bring back the Dominican Sisters into our schools. My dad was taught by Dominicans and he just loves them :nunpray: I went to all public schools and I think I was better off for it the way many Catholics schools are these days. So anyway, what a wonderful apostolate they have .. let's keep them in prayer :pray:
[/quote]

That's a great point to make. I had this discussion with a friend from Church this morning, which has us so excited about this news; how important it is to have Sister's back in the Catholic schools. We need more teachers that know the Faith, and are faithful, especially to the teachings and to Our Holy Father. The Dominican Sister's seem to be on fire with love for Our Lord and His Church, and this is much needed!

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1288186188' post='2182953']
[/quote]

I hear Oprah is quite taken with them! Perhaps she's given them some moolah! :lol4: :lol4: